The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss Rotaslide - Too Tight?

foster_jb

Hi,

I use Arca Swiss products, and I feel as if I have rarely, if ever, been disappointed when purchasing a product from them. However, I just (tonight) received a second-hand Rotaslide which was the backup slider in a studio, and is essentially new (never really used). I have an AS 6x9 M-Line which I want to use it on, and after I mounted it, I found that the Rotaslide is extremely hard to slide! I mean, hard enough that if you don't have a studio stand and are using a tripod, the action of trying to slide it would probably change your framing a tiny bit as it is really twisting on the format frames and rail carriers...

Now, my question is, is this just new-product, tight tolerances? And I just need to slide it back and forth (a few hundred times...) to loosen it up a bit? What I mean is, is this normal?

I used a Phase One sliding back before, and it was just easy as hell to roll back and forth compared to the Arca...

Any input/feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Foster

foster_jb

I've done some more research this morning, yet, as per usual, it is difficult to find info on Arca Swiss in general, and the Rotaslide in particular. I did come across a post by someone who had the Kapture Group slider and had it become "sticky" after 6 months. His solution was to take it apart and lightly apply bicycle oil. Thoughts, anyone? I haven't yet looked to see how easy or difficult it may be to take the Rotaslide apart.

With the Rotaslide I have, it only seems to stick in the areas which have the black felt/velvet applied... Once this area is not touching the rear of the slider, but is positioned in an open frame, it slides quite easily. It's as if the material creates some sort of suction when touching the rear of the slider, thus not allowing it to freely move. So in this sense, I am not sure that new oil is really needed. On some parts of the Rotaslide, I can already see some residue from a lubricant.

Thanks for any thoughts or input you may have; I'm just trying to get this figured out without causing any damage to the item.

Thanks,
Foster

fotophil

Oil sounds like a great way to attract dirt - very very bad idea!! Arca Swiss has a very good US Based Service Center at Precision Camera Works. I suggest you contact them before doing any sort of repair or adjustment. Here is their contact info:

Precision Camera Works
ARCA-SWISS Sales
ARCA-SWISS Authorized Service Center

7064 W. Main Street
Niles, IL 60714
Precision Camera Works :: Camera Repair
Tel:847/470-3350
Fax:847/470-3351

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I've done some more research this morning, yet, as per usual, it is difficult to find info on Arca Swiss in general, and the Rotaslide in particular.
Info about Arca Swiss is REALLY easy to get. It's just not easy to get on the web.

A good dealer, the US Arca Rep Rod Klukas, or Precision Camera are all chuck full of Arca information ready for questions.

Sorry I didn't see this post earlier. Yes: normally you would contact your dealer for assistance, but since you have none you're best off contacting Precision Camera directly. They provide very good Arca service.