Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Hasselblad "Solar" !!!

Well at least it looks like a camera. I'll give it that but nothing else. Ill ban the first person that buys it on this forum, just because I could use that disposable income. ROTFLMAO

Just joking
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Haha! Is the camera picture for real from Hasselblad, or is it some joker's mockup? Would not be surprised if it's real though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The most interesting thing is that this is based on the Sony A7R, which has 36MP and no optical low-pass filter. It has to be the same sensor used on the D800E.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice photoshop, sad, but funny. Nothing beats the original though:

Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In all honesty, I think Hasselblad has something up their sleeve probably being the first to introduce CMOS based MF(probably with a Sony made chip). They didn't really have an answer to the IQ line and something tells me they chocked up their losses on that generation and are moving to the next generation while trying to make a few bucks on a Sony contract that none of us agree with.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's photopshopped, and not by Hasselblad. There are several imperfections, most notably the skewed Hasselblad logo and the shadow area beneath and partly on top of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can't there be a new forum section for the Hasselblad deniers?

The original post was amusing, but you know it'll engender a whole litany of Hassy "humor."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually, if Hasselblad had waited for this iteration of Sony, they could have had a winner on their hands. That mock-up may not be far from the version Hasselblad markets in the future. And, to make it a winner, they would have had to make a reasonable mark-up; certainly not seven times the original version.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Can't there be a new forum section for the Hasselblad deniers?

The original post was amusing, but you know it'll engender a whole litany of Hassy "humor."
    'Humor" is how people cope with situations they are powerless to influence.

People shout "stop digging your own grave!" and Hasselblad replies from below "there's gold down here!"
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Humour is indeed a great thing and this has been a bit of fun, I have been known to use Photoshop for a purpose it was not designed for as has Hasselblad itself in their April 1st internal company memos, the left handed H3D for example.
    I can see why Hasselblad would want to evoke the glory years by using space themed names for their new cameras but there is a reason manufacturers are cautious about using names.
    Lunar, Stellar and even Solar seem OK but avoid Meteor (crash and burn), Nebula (almost a vacuum), Comet (here today gone tomorrow), Black Hole, that's enough for now, you get the idea.
    Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras.
    www.classicv.co.uk
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    Haha! Is the camera picture for real from Hasselblad, or is it some joker's mockup? Would not be surprised if it's real though...
    No it isn't real ... Hasselblad won't get any A7Rs to bling up until the Sony version is close to being obsolete ... just before the Sony A8R 50 meg camera with no mechanical shutter is ready to be launched in 2014.

Besides, this mock up looks to good ... it is missing the upside down Reese's Piece's control knobs.

- Marc

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
    'Humor" is how people cope with situations they are powerless to influence.

People shout "stop digging your own grave!" and Hasselblad replies from below "there's gold down here!"
    AKA ... "Fool's Gold".

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

But seriously I have not heard anything about how it goes with these new "luxury" products. Perhaps they're selling just fine? If not in western markets maybe they sell great in eastern markets? Their target group is of course not professional photographers or the type of amateur enthuisast that contributes to these types of forums.

I think it's kind of sad to see the Hasselblad brand take this turn, but they've been struggling with profitability for a long time so I see it as a desperate move, and maybe just maybe it works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But seriously I have not heard anything about how it goes with these new "luxury" products. Perhaps they're selling just fine? If not in western markets maybe they sell great in eastern markets? Their target group is of course not professional photographers or the type of amateur enthuisast that contributes to these types of forums.

I think it's kind of sad to see the Hasselblad brand take this turn, but they've been struggling with profitability for a long time so I see it as a desperate move, and maybe just maybe it works.
    I think you are 100% correct. If the Hasselblad "Brand" catches on in Asia, China , Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia etc. Then they will make more money than they ever have, I assume this is their corporate strategy. They might even sell Hasselblad watches. Certainly Leica is looking to Asia for growth, but I think the difference is Leica is not pandering, and Hasselblad most certainly is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this

Attachment 77992
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by alajuela View Post
    I think you are 100% correct. If the Hasselblad "Brand" catches on in Asia, China , Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia etc. Then they will make more money than they ever have, I assume this is their corporate strategy. They might even sell Hasselblad watches. Certainly Leica is looking to Asia for growth, but I think the difference is Leica is not pandering, and Hasselblad most certainly is.
    I can assure you that they are not selling well in Thailand. The distributor here, Shriro (Sounds familiar, doesn't it?), doesn't even stock it as far as I know, and the Lunar page on their website still says "Hasselblad plans Lunar launch". People with too much money in Thailand buy Leica, period. Every Leica product you can think of is in stock here. I seem to remember that my pusher had 3 x Noctilux in stock at some point, but not for long.

Edit: Just for fun, I went through the websites of all Hasselblad dealers in Hong Kong as well. None list the Lunar or the Steallar on their websites. Shriro is the Hasselblad distributor in HK as well, and in most other East Asian countries including China. Me thinks they are not too enthusiastic about this product
    Last edited by Jorgen Udvang; 18th October 2013 at 07:09.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this

Attachment 77992
    Is that something you schmear on your lens to make the models look young and beautiful?
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markymarkrb View Post
    The most interesting thing is that this is based on the Sony A7R, which has 36MP and no optical low-pass filter. It has to be the same sensor used on the D800E.
    Hi,

No it's not, according to Sony is a new chip. IT should be better than the D800's

Best regards,

J. Duncan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I can assure you that they are not selling well in Thailand. The distributor here, Shriro (Sounds familiar, doesn't it?), doesn't even stock it as far as I know, and the Lunar page on their website still says "Hasselblad plans Lunar launch". People with too much money in Thailand buy Leica, period. Every Leica product you can think of is in stock here. I seem to remember that my pusher had 3 x Noctilux in stock at some point, but not for long.

Edit: Just for fun, I went through the websites of all Hasselblad dealers in Hong Kong as well. None list the Lunar or the Steallar on their websites. Shriro is the Hasselblad distributor in HK as well, and in most other East Asian countries including China. Me thinks they are not too enthusiastic about this product
    Hi

Yeah , Shriro has a presence here, and Nestor, and I think the Chinese are moving up into big time digital now, I was talking to friend and he told a "Delegation" went to France to pick up their AS kits.

I have seen them (Hasselblad) at HK airport can get one really fast, and in Shanghai, you are right , not near as many as Leica, but they just started this.

For Leica Shanghai has too many shops to count, Leica just opened a stand alone store on Nanjing Road, and who know where else, in Harbor City Kowloon HK, there is a new stand alone, and must dozens of shops with the entire Leica line, same as Shanghai.

I just think the Guys in charge at Hasselblad ,are looking at this and all the luxury brands and drooling. For regular Canons and Nikons, the demand is way down, no longer a fashion accessory, too common. Hasselblad is probably also taking direction from Sony, and they certainly know the Asian market.

Who would ever believe the amount of Ferrari and Lamborghini and 911s that are bought to drive in city traffic. Its all new found wealth and looking for somewhere to spend it. A different world.

Everything's a gamble betting on something in China, but they Hasselblad might make it.

Post Thanks / Like

At least this camera is cutting edge and probably has the best image quality ever in a 35mm digital format camera if it is based on the A7R. Far departure from the Lunar and Stellar. Still, rebadging a cosmetically altered camera is really frowned upon by us camera enthusiasts. Shame shame shame Hasselblad

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

didnt we agree that this is a photoshop aprils fool joke?

Post Thanks / Like

There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.

Oscar Wilde
    Classic V, support for Hasselblad V system cameras.
    www.classicv.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    didnt we agree that this is a photoshop aprils fool joke?
    I suppose it might fool some... but it's clearly a photoshop. It's simply a rip on Hasselblad for making overpriced "luxury" versions of otherwise good inexpensive cameras.

Ironically, the reason the cameras they re-brand are considered good is because they are inexpensive, compact and easy to use; features they seem keen on compromising.

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Fairbank View Post
    There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.

Oscar Wilde
    Yep yep, if this is marketing, it's doing a good job of getting people to talk about Hasselblad, but not really in a good way. It would work if Hasselblad had something to offer the people they reel in with their absurdity, for instance Leica has their M series cameras, which are both within the realm of purchase for many people and are objectively good cameras too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is not good intention to start a post like this because it reflects your own character.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Me thinks they are not too enthusiastic about this product
    It is not kind to make fun of people who live around you do not speak English as their native tongue. In fact it is admirable that they took their time to learn a second language.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FSOT View Post
    It is not good intention to start a post like this because it reflects your own character.
    Coming from FSOT, high praise indeed. How many Lunars are stocked up for sale or trade?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Coming from FSOT, high praise indeed. How many Lunars are stocked up for sale or trade?
    Another typical arrogant assuming statement as usual.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I do not think personal attacks are tolerated here. I am not much interested in trading them either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I do not think personal attacks are tolerated here. I am not much interested in trading them either.
    I wonder how Hasselblad and their employees feel about this thread?

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how Hasselblad and their employees feel about this thread?
    They sell the solar as "developed with the community for the community"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is not kind to make fun of people who live around you do not speak English as their native tongue. In fact it is admirable that they took their time to learn a second language.
    Most Asians would not say "Me thinks...", particularly not a Thai, who will have problems pronouncing the sound "s" at the end of a word, since it doesn't exist in Thai (and Lao) language at that position of a word or syllable, and not the "k", since it can't be used in conjunction with the "ng" sound. A "correct" parody on a Thai expressing this would be "Me ting...", but I don't make jokes about Asians and their inability to speak Queen's English, since that is rooted in the dramatic differences in language and culture between Asia and the western world. And why make jokes about Asians' language capabilities when westerners mostly don't care to learn any Asian language at all?

The deliberate misspelling was actually stolen from an American several years ago. Can't remember who.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You fellows are just so smart. There's no reason for threads like this at all, and given that they often descend into snarky one upsmanship, perhaps they're better ignored.

Post Thanks / Like

"Methinks" is an archaic English expression, sometimes used nowadays in jest - i.e. adopting a sort of Shakespearean pomposity. You completely had the wrong end of the stick when you assumed that Jorgen's use of it was some sort of ethnic ribbing of Thais.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ondebanks View Post
    "Methinks" is an archaic English expression, sometimes used nowadays in jest - i.e. adopting a sort of Shakespearean pomposity. You completely had the wrong end of the stick when you assumed that Jorgen's use of it was some sort of ethnic ribbing of Thais.

Ray
    Geez, I'm Russian and even I know that figure of speech, and have used it in actual conversation many times. It's not a racial slur, or being made fun of, it's more like pretending to be an ironic idiot, it's just that if it's not ironic you simply end up sounding like an idiot.

You fellows are just so smart. There's no reason for threads like this at all, and given that they often descend into snarky one upsmanship, perhaps they're better ignored.
    No snark here the reason I like this forum so much is that the people here have a sense of humor and you don't need to use smilies to imply sarcasm.

How often has Guy talked of robbing banks, or of his family committing questionable acts to him to control his gear fetish, and yet no one batted an eye? There won't be enough wood to knock on ya know!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Methinks some people here could do with getting some fresh air
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ondebanks View Post

Ray
    Just to add,

Methinks - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

I am a non native speaker, and I don't remember any encounter with the grammar police In this forum, nor racial insults.

I know that those issues are generalized on the internet. Bigots use sexist , racist and xenophobic rants as a common way to put people on "their place".

This forums, on the other hand, are pretty civilized and inclusive. Please keep them free of personal attacks and so on.

This last Sunday I was recommending a friend of mine (a woman) this forums as a model, for the quality of the people on it and the civil but honest communication.
    I am surprised this tread is drifting out the high standards that we normally use here.

Please; Let's move this tread back to the quality we normally have here.

With all due respect,

J. Duncan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

JD,

There have been plenty of racial insults. Every time there's a new Leica or Hasselblad that is just a revamped Panasonic or Sony, we hear about how even though the camera is a joke to those of us in the know, "those Asians will buy it."

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

JD,

There have been plenty of racial insults. Every time there's a new Leica or Hasselblad that is just a revamped Panasonic or Sony, we hear about how even though the camera is a joke to those of us in the know, "those Asians will buy it."

Steve
    Hi Steve,

I see that more as a cultural superiority / snobbism, more than racial insult. In the same vein as the the camera is bad because the lens is made in Japan, not in the EU were all the cool stuff is done and were all the "taste resides".

But it's a good point.

Best regards,

J. Duncan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

JD,

Steve
    But they do, and the reason is very simple: Asian cultures and perception of "value" is vastly different from what is the norm in western countries. I don't doubt for a second that many luxury products are developed with that difference in mind. And when it comes to racism, that is the norm rather than the exception in large parts of Asia. Even people who know me well here call me "farang" when talking with friends, meaning that person with white skin. It actually comes from Farangsaise, which means French, and I can assure you that I'm not French. Neither am I insulted. That would be useless.

Still, they don't seem to sell any Lunars in this country...

Post Thanks / Like

Look what I saw today at the ShootNYC Hasselblad/Broncolor show close to the PhotoPlus Expo. Thankfully the show was most about the Hasselbad H system and Broncolor lights. They had awesome studio setups using most of the Broncolor line of products, Foba stands and products and of course the H5D40-50-60 and 200. I tried a few of the lenses, mainly the 100, 150 and 210 and the are superb.

The Lunar and Stellar were on a display case at the entrance along an SWA and other hasselblads. Gotta admit they do look beautiful in person.

Hasselblad seems extremely committed to the H system so guys no need to worry about it disappearing anytime soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

JD,

Steve

I think you statement is true, if taken in the context you note. But the "issue" of "those Asians will buy it"., is a fact of life, different cultures have tastes, and different countries have different levels of disposable income.

Even Car companies make different models for different countries.

My opinion and experiences are similar to Jorgen - I have lived for 20 years in Costa Rica and now 13 in China, - the issue is more complicated than label it "racial insults" with the "political correctness" connotations.

I prefer to believe it is more in the vain of J, Duncan's statement "I see that more as a cultural superiority / snobbism, more than racial insult".

This is starting to drift off course, into really complicated issues - so I'll just take it all at face value.

Anyway that's my 2 cents.

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I haven't read all of the posts on this thread, but like many folks here, I've been distressed by the direction the new owners of Hasselblad are taking this legendary company.

I can certainly understand that some people might be willing to pay a bit more for a unique, perhaps "limited" edition of a camera, even for a camera which is otherwise identical to the standard version.

For several months, I've been contemplating the purcahse of a Ricoh GR.

It seems to be an excellent camera with terrific image quality.

Why haven't I bought one yet? Frankly, I already have too many black cameras.

So when Ricoh recently announced the "GR Limited" and I saw the pictures....WOW! Now THIS is a good looking camera!

Best of all, the "Limited" version only costs ~$100 more than the standard GR. To me it could be worth the extra cost, since "Limited" edition also includes a lens hood, attractive camera case and strap.

So if the new owners of Hasselbald think they can make a business of selling attractive, stylish and limited editions of Sony cameras, I say go for it.

For an extra $100, especially if they include a few bonus accessories, it might be worth the extra expense.

Gary
    Last edited by bensonga; 24th October 2013 at 20:00.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by alajuela View Post
    I prefer to believe it is more in the vain of J, Duncan's statement "I see that more as a cultural superiority / snobbism, more than racial insult".

Phil
    Where do you draw a line? Didn't Hitler once declared about race superiority?

If it is difficult to determine an absolute line in this complex and sensitive subject, it is better that we be respectful to human that may be offended by our LABEL of them.

Furthermore, we should not compare products to human in the same sentence. Even when it comes to product, normally company will not tell you that their products are superior to their competitor which may comes from within or outside the country. Instead you speak of its strengths and weaknesses when comparisons are made. It does not matter where the product is made, there are strengths and weaknesses if you carefully dissect the item. You can look at past and present threads as to well recognized companies and products also have issues with their supposedly "superior" products. Not only products but their customer service of their products should be carefully look at as well when a full spectrum of comparisons are made. In real life do you behave the same way you would when you sit behind a computer? If you are a public figure would you act the same way you would write in the forums?
    Last edited by FSOT; 25th October 2013 at 09:10.

Post Thanks / Like

In real life do you behave the same way you would when you sit behind a computer? If you are a public figure would you act the same way you would write in the forums?
    Of course not! it's common knowledge that a normal person + anonymity + audience = total diсkwad.

I also suppose it depends on cultural concepts of "humor", for instance I have no problem using passive racial slurs in conversation, because it's normal here. Snide remarks, dry wit, sarcasm and national, racial or ethnic jokes comprise the majority of jokes and humor in Russia, and no one will bat an eye if you use them (in proper context).

In Japan, it's very different, they don't have sarcasm and will take what you say literally, unless they are prepared for western style humor beforehand. I can only imagine the variety of do's and don'ts that exist out there in the world.

On the internet we have a bit of a problem, since it's not always easy to only use universally accepted language, seeing as every other person could be from a completely different country. So rather than trying to be politically correct and attempting to not upset anyone (it will never work), you should simply ignore what others say, and not even waste time replying.

I'm not justifying for people to be аssholes on the internet, but it's proven psychology that as long as someone's merely reading text, they often won't truly, genuinely sympathize with the person they're talking to, unless they already know each other personally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kolor-Pikker View Post
    Of course not! it's common knowledge that a normal person + anonymity + audience = total diсkwad.

I also suppose it depends on cultural concepts of "humor", for instance I have no problem using passive racial slurs in conversation, because it's normal here. Snide remarks, dry wit, sarcasm and national, racial or ethnic jokes comprise the majority of jokes and humor in Russia, and no one will bat an eye if you use them (in proper context).

In Japan, it's very different, they don't have sarcasm and will take what you say literally, unless they are prepared for western style humor beforehand. I can only imagine the variety of do's and don'ts that exist out there in the world.

On the internet we have a bit of a problem, since it's not always easy to only use universally accepted language, seeing as every other person could be from a completely different country. So rather than trying to be politically correct and attempting to not upset anyone (it will never work), you should simply ignore what others say, and not even waste time replying.

I'm not justifying for people to be аssholes on the internet, but it's proven psychology that as long as someone's merely reading text, they often won't truly, genuinely sympathize with the person they're talking to, unless they already know each other personally.
    +1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I find it interesting that the person leading the "racial" discussion is hiding behind some kind of acronym. Let's get this back on topic, shall we?

That Ricoh is actually a good example of a proper "limited" series modification and it sells for what it's really worth: $100 more than the standard edition, including extras. The contrast to the feeble Hasselblad attempts is breathtaking. And no, it doesn't help that David Beckham has one/bought one/was give one or whatever. I would rather ask Miley Cyrus for advice before buying a lawnmower than the football hero about cameras. Much rather, actually

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Where do you draw a line? Didn't Hitler once declared about race superiority
    I think your comment is way off base - We are talking about cameras and the fact that some products are made with certain markets in mind. Certain markets = certain demographics.

I find your comment not only insulting but quite frankly trite, belittling, not at germane to the conversation, and showing a complete lack of knowledge of what you speak.

Excuse my reaction, as a son of a survivor of the concentration camps, lost (killed) over 150 family members, - yes I take words seriously.

In short Hitler nor any mass murderer has no place in the conversations we are having here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Where do you draw a line? Didn't Hitler once declared about race superiority?

If it is difficult to determine an absolute line in this complex and sensitive subject, it is better that we be respectful to human that may be offended by our LABEL of them.

Furthermore, we should not compare products to human in the same sentence. Even when it comes to product, normally company will not tell you that their products are superior to their competitor which may comes from within or outside the country. Instead you speak of its strengths and weaknesses when comparisons are made. It does not matter where the product is made, there are strengths and weaknesses if you carefully dissect the item. You can look at past and present threads as to well recognized companies and products also have issues with their supposedly "superior" products. Not only products but their customer service of their products should be carefully look at as well when a full spectrum of comparisons are made. In real life do you behave the same way you would when you sit behind a computer? If you are a public figure would you act the same way you would write in the forums?
    I find it interesting that the person leading the "racial" discussion is hiding behind some kind of acronym. Let's get this back on topic, shall we?

That Ricoh is actually a good example of a proper "limited" series modification and it sells for what it's really worth: $100 more than the standard edition, including extras. The contrast to the feeble Hasselblad attempts is breathtaking. And no, it doesn't help that David Beckham has one/bought one/was give one or whatever. I would rather ask Miley Cyrus for advice before buying a lawnmower than the football hero about cameras. Much rather, actually
    Too bad I can only like this post once

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Well at least it looks like a camera. I'll give it that but nothing else. Ill ban the first person that buys it on this forum, just because I could use that disposable income. ROTFLMAO

Just joking
    Guy, I tough U was done here?

I didn;t see your name with the new name?

so how U will ban anyone if they kick U out?
    BlasR

BMROWLDPHOTOS.COM