The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ILford. HP5 development

I understand this forum is mainly digital, however I have a very difficult problem when I develop the ILFord HP5 B&W film.

I use Kodak Tmax developer to develop the Tmax 100 film, all contrast and quality is acceptable. Last week, I did develop the ILFord HP5 film by using the same procedure and time, the film is so dark and the texture just like color film texture. Any help...???

Kodak Tmax 1:4 20c 9mins
Kodak fixer 1:4 4mins

MaxKißler

Hi,

according to the film's data sheet, you receive best results with D76 and a development time of 13min at 20°C. The very last Minutes of the development are responsible for the lighter areas in your image (Zone VII - Zone X) so it's understandable that your result was very flat. If you have slightly underexposed the film matters get even worse.

Check this out: B&W Film Developing Times | The Massive Dev Chart

They have a list of nearly all film - developer combinations.