Site Sponsors

Thread: Creative Tethering

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Creative Tethering

Hi

I would be interested to know what solutions people have found for tethering to a laptop in the field apart from a second tripod.

Thanks

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Creative Tethering

Hi Phil,

This solution depends a bit on the weight of your laptop, but I see you made another post about a Mac book Air, so that should be fine. It also appears you don't want to haul a second tripod along and are trying to minimize the amount of equipment you bring. In that case, one option is to look at the manfrotto Flex Arm. There is a normal and heavy duty option. You can pair this with a super clamp to attach to your tripod. Then just bend and adjust the flex arm to a suitable viewing position. Also, you need to have a laptop deck/support which can attach to the 5/8" stud on the arm. There are many of these laptop decks available, at various sizes, and some specifically for Macs, so you shouldn't have a hard time finding one to suit you.

I've read some of your other posts where you are shooting with an AS 6x9 M Line, which I also use. Are you planning on taking this out into the "wild" of Shanghai?

Foster

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by foster_jb View Post
    Hi Phil,

This solution depends a bit on the weight of your laptop, but I see you made another post about a Mac book Air, so that should be fine. It also appears you don't want to haul a second tripod along and are trying to minimize the amount of equipment you bring. In that case, one option is to look at the manfrotto Flex Arm. There is a normal and heavy duty option. You can pair this with a super clamp to attach to your tripod. Then just bend and adjust the flex arm to a suitable viewing position. Also, you need to have a laptop deck/support which can attach to the 5/8" stud on the arm. There are many of these laptop decks available, at various sizes, and some specifically for Macs, so you shouldn't have a hard time finding one to suit you.

I've read some of your other posts where you are shooting with an AS 6x9 M Line, which I also use. Are you planning on taking this out into the "wild" of Shanghai?

Foster
    Hi Foster

Thank you for the suggestion, I will check this out. It does seem from other members that the Mac is an option. I am going to research the deck support, as I have the Gitzo tray (which weights as much as the tether tools - too much) I am hoping to save some weight there.

On the AS M Line. I have taken it into the wilds (parks and down to the waterfront) I love it - the setup just makes so much sense. As you are surely aware it is not "portable" you are sorta planted. One of the great things about is that you can experiment with any lens without have to get them mounted in a tech mount. Do you take yours outside?

Thanks again

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Phil,

Have you seen the Aero, by tether tools? It weighs in at 2.5 pounds. I'm not sure that I have seen a lighter deck than this on the market.

I also forgot to mention the Manfrotto Magic Arm, yet, it is a lot heaver than the flexible arm (2.5 pounds versus 0.85 pounds).

I'm glad that you are having fun taking it outside. I actually shoot a lot of landscapes with mine. I bought it from a photographer who shot landscapes with it as well, and I remember being really pleased to have found someone who was as "crazy" as I am.... Most others gave me a funny look when I said I wanted to use a 6x9 M Line in the field. But I love it!

Since I know well the weight you are dealing with, I do think that the flexible arm is a viable way to go. The camera on a tripod will already be enough weight to counter-balance a light laptop extended on the flexible arm.

If you are really trying to save every ounce possible and will be dedicating your laptop to mainly field work, you could forget the deck and simply buy a "Baby Wall Plate" mount with 5/8" locking receiver and attach it directly to the bottom of your laptop. It's lighter.... but it seems like it would have to be permanently attached.

In a past life, I lived in Shanghai. It was a good time. In my mind's eye I can see you standing somewhere with all that gear, and having all the curious locals crowding around and checking you out. How do you manage to get shots??

Foster

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone using the digi plate?
    N i n e - V o l t

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I had looked at that, but saw it was about 5 pounds... Though I just checked out their site again, and it appears there is a new "light" version at 1.5 pounds. That seems like it could work.

Foster

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Phil,

Foster
    Hi Phil,

Have you seen the Aero, by tether tools? It weighs in at 2.5 pounds. I'm not sure that I have seen a lighter deck than this on the market.

I also forgot to mention the Manfrotto Magic Arm, yet, it is a lot heaver than the flexible arm (2.5 pounds versus 0.85 pounds).

I'm glad that you are having fun taking it outside. I actually shoot a lot of landscapes with mine. I bought it from a photographer who shot landscapes with it as well, and I remember being really pleased to have found someone who was as "crazy" as I am.... Most others gave me a funny look when I said I wanted to use a 6x9 M Line in the field. But I love it!

Since I know well the weight you are dealing with, I do think that the flexible arm is a viable way to go. The camera on a tripod will already be enough weight to counter-balance a light laptop extended on the flexible arm.

If you are really trying to save every ounce possible and will be dedicating your laptop to mainly field work, you could forget the deck and simply buy a "Baby Wall Plate" mount with 5/8" locking receiver and attach it directly to the bottom of your laptop. It's lighter.... but it seems like it would have to be permanently attached.

In a past life, I lived in Shanghai. It was a good time. In my mind's eye I can see you standing somewhere with all that gear, and having all the curious locals crowding around and checking you out. How do you manage to get shots??

Foster
    Hi Foster

Yes but the Aero is over 2 lb, about the same as my Gitzo tray, I want to get this down in weight, I have been focusing on the weight reduction. This is the last step - I got my AS down to the 3 series RRS and the cube.

The Tech (and DF) is now working well on my Gitzo series 2 (3 part leg) with the AS P0 (I love it) head (replaced my novoflex) - The Mac Book pro will be replaced with the air. For tethering, I think now I have two options

1. I found Nine Volt lite system that Jwoo and yourself note, weights 1.5 lb and folds up nicely. It also can hang from the same tripod on the Gitzo series 2 or

2. Mount on the the traveler gitzo

All in all I save about 5 lbs. - That's great.

I might just pick the flex arm as I already have a clamp.

When did you live in Shanghai? Your minds eye is great, last week I was in Fuxing Park and you describe the scene perfectly. Look on my web site - maybe you will get home sick I'll gladly send you any jpegs on any shots you see there.

Also check out Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga - he uses the AS F metric - great cameras.

I should put this all together in the next several weeks when I am in Miami, I will post some photos.

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jwoo View Post
    Anyone using the digi plate?
    N i n e - V o l t
    Hi,

I had looked at that, but saw it was about 5 pounds... Though I just checked out their site again, and it appears there is a new "light" version at 1.5 pounds. That seems like it could work.

Foster
    Hi I just ordered the lite version, I'll let everyone know in about two weeks. Thanks
    so much for all the input. Lets see, how it is - I'll share the results

Thanks again

Phil
    Philip
    www.pg-pg.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Phil

Looking forward to your review of the Digi Plate Lite.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I do love shooting with the M, even outside the studio. However, I find that once the sun is out, the laptop screen needs a shade and the sun can't be behind you and gosh this is heavy and .... It all just gets to be too much of pain. So, I use a Hoodman and spend a little extra time moving the zoomed IQ screen display around. It seems to work OK for a simple tilt or swing. For anything more complex it fails (at least in my hands) and my little demon reminds me there is coffee in the studio.

How do you handle screen visibility outdoors?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Phil,

Yes, as others have mentioned, looking forward to your feedback on the Lite version.

I lived in Shanghai from 2004 to 2007. Before that, I was up north in Tianjin from 2001 to 2004. Have to say, in terms of lifestyle, I preferred Shanghai. I also must admit that I do miss China, quite a bit... Managed to get back to Shanghai this last Christmas to visit some friends and really enjoyed being back there. I miss all the chaos...

As for shading the laptop screen, well, there are several collapsible shades out there, and again, some made specifically for the MacBook Air.

Foster

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Phil,

As for shading the laptop screen, well, there are several collapsible shades out there, and again, some made specifically for the MacBook Air.

Foster
    Thanks Foster. I have tried various shades with PC portables without being really happy with any of them. Reminds me of handling an 8x10 in gusty conditions. Sure you can do it, but you don't really want too. So there I am squinting at my IQ screen and trying to evaluate tilts with that.

Given the topic of "creative tethering", I am hoping that someone has found something better. You know, the real answer may be better tethering software. Both C1 and Phocus require way too much button pushing when comparing local focus after movement. So much harder than just zipping around the ground glass with a loupe. Imagine a tablet with "focus far evaluate near" implemented as a simple one-touch function. Tablets are easier to mount and shade than laptops, so that would be good. Sadly, C1 Pilot is the only app I know of and trying to use that was - painful.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Cunim,

Oh yes, trust me, I would LOVE for there to be a better solution as well. I'm just rather pessimistic about it at the moment...

There is an interesting solution for the DSLRs which I was hoping could be ported to a MFDB, but I doubt it can. Have you heard of the CamRanger? It allows for wireless viewing through an Ipad, among other things...

We'll see what the future brings.

Foster

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone tried tethering with Surface Pro 1/2? In theory it should work no differently than your desktop.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is a bit of a side-issue, but are there any problems with tethering the FireWire 400 backs, P65+ for instance, to the later MacBook Airs or Pros? Just having the cords doesn't always mean things work as they should.

Thanks,

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lenslover View Post
    I know this is a bit of a side-issue, but are there any problems with tethering the FireWire 400 backs, P65+ for instance, to the later MacBook Airs or Pros? Just having the cords doesn't always mean things work as they should.

Thanks,

Bill
    I use RMBP13 with my P45 without any problems. Cables/adapter: TB -> FW800 -> FW400

Jae Moon

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks,

Bill
    No problems, I was tethering today with a P45+ and a Mac Book Air running OS X 10.8.4 - same set up as Jae

Phil

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No issues.

A good quality FW800-FW400 "just works". The official Phase One 400-800 cable can be purchased through our online store: Online Store

MacBookAirs that don't have Firewire can use Thunderbolt adapter with one minor settings change.

See also: Apple Thunderbolt Firewire Adapter Tests - DT Blog
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by alajuela View Post
    Hi I just ordered the lite version, I'll let everyone know in about two weeks. Thanks
    so much for all the input. Lets see, how it is - I'll share the results

Thanks again

Phil
    Phil:

Have you had a chance to try out with 'Digi-Plate'? I have been looking for something like that for a while.

Jae Moon

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi-

I use a Trek-Tech Cammock Tripod Gear Shelf:

Amazon.com: Trek-Tech Cammock Tripod Gear Shelf: Camera & Photo

It never comes off the tripod and weighs about 4oz. I use it when tethered to a surface pro via usb3 on my IQ back. The surface sits in the camrock when I'm adjusting my m-line and I hold it when I'm evaluating the shot.

It's like a third hand when changing lenses.

jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jae_Moon View Post
    Phil:

Have you had a chance to try out with 'Digi-Plate'? I have been looking for something like that for a while.

Jae Moon
    Hi Jae
    Yes I had a chance to use it on Sunday, I definitively recommend this, I have the Gitzo tray top, which is similar to the Tether tools and I did not like it for outside work - too heavy and too unwieldy. The Digi Plate Lite is lighter and easier to pack. Here is a quick iPhone photo, if you need any more photos let me know. By going to this and a lighter tripod and the Mac Air, I have saved almost 3 kg of carrying stuff -- that is good

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phil:

Thank you for the pic. Looks very nice and well made.

A couple questions;
    1. Did you get DigiBracket? How do you like it if you did? I am not too excited about carrying an extra tripod.
    2. Does the package include two laptop brackets?

Thanks,

Jae M

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jae_Moon View Post
    Phil:

Thank you for the pic. Looks very nice and well made.

A couple questions;
    1. Did you get DigiBracket? How do you like it if you did? I am not too excited about carrying an extra tripod.
    2. Does the package include two laptop brackets?

Thanks,

Jae M
    Hi Jae -

Yes I did get the DigiBracket and will try it this weekend. I will post a pic after trying.

Yes when you order the basic setup - you chose the brackets for example MacAir - MacPro - PC Laptop.

It is very well made, the finish and feel is 100%

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

I use the DigiPlate and it works great. They also now make a cool sun shade www.digi-shade.com
    Attachment 80233

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are crazy! I just put my laptop on my pelican case and call it a day

Post Thanks / Like

The DigiPlate Lite is a great high quality system for laptops, especially Mac Book and Air.

I'm using a tablet now, so will in all likelihood be selling my complete DigiPlate Lite system which has both the Digibracket tripod and Digibase mounting options. It's like new and never been in the field. Contact me if you're interested.

ken

Post Thanks / Like

I like and use these: iWorkCase.com - iWorkCase your on location workstation

Rock solid and reliable.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

got Ken's solution up and running! works like a champ.
    surface pro 2 (128 g, 64 bit, windows 8.1)
    C1, 7.2, DB version
    IQ160 updated to 5.11 with USB3 working

made this comment to Capture integration:

been playing around with tethering, using USB3 and a surface pro2, for image checking in the field. seems to work fine (IQ160, 5.11 firmware, C1 7.2, windows DB)

had to set storage to USB, and will do some more tests. but it seems like a flaw that I cannot also store an image to the CF card.

my workflow in this regard is to take a shot, tethered in the field on the surface pro tablet. then tweak my composition, etc. and make the final shot.

if I stay tethered, that image goes onto the tablet. then for later processing on my full system, i need to transfer the images to my Macpro/Eizo monitor system. normally I would pop the Cf card into my reader, but now the images are only on the tablet, so i have to do some monkeying around.

why didn't C1 allow dual storage, tethered (USB) and CF card?

any advice appreciated, as well as passing the request to C1

thanks

jm
    Last edited by jlm; 5th March 2014 at 15:07.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    got Ken's solution up and running! works like a champ.
    surface pro 2 (128 g, 64 bit, windows 8.1)
    C1, 7.2, DB version
    IQ160 updated to 5.11 with USB3 working

made this comment to Capture integration:

been playing around with tethering, using USB3 and a surface pro2, for image checking in the field. seems to work fine (IQ160, 5.11 firmware, C1 7.2, windows DB)

had to set storage to USB, and will do some more tests. but it seems like a flaw that I cannot also store an image to the CF card.

my workflow in this regard is to take a shot, tethered in the field on the surface pro tablet. then tweak my composition, etc. and make the final shot.

if I stay tethered, that image goes onto the tablet. then for later processing on my full system, i need to transfer the images to my Macpro/Eizo monitor system. normally I would pop the Cf card into my reader, but now the images are only on the tablet, so i have to do some monkeying around.

why didn't C1 allow dual storage, tethered (USB) and CF card?

any advice appreciated, as well as passing the request to C1

thanks

jm
    Hi-

You can have C1 save to a micro SD card in the Surface Pro. Then transfer via your reader.

jim

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thx, i realize there are workarounds, but it seems clunky. if i don't shoot an image tethered, it will go to the CF card, then i shoot one tethered and it imports into a session on the Surface pro, blah, blah