The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H2F and PhaseOne backs?

Udo

Greetings to all,

as a new member I do appreciate this quite informative forum. I found a lot of hints for some issues in the past.

Maybe I overlooked something, but I wonder whether the new H2F will be compatible to PhaseOne digital plus as well as non-plus backs.

Many thanks.

Best regards from the Red Sea,
Udo

fotografz

Greetings to all,

as a new member I do appreciate this quite informative forum. I found a lot of hints for some issues in the past.

Maybe I overlooked something, but I wonder whether the new H2F will be compatible to PhaseOne digital plus as well as non-plus backs.

Many thanks.

Best regards from the Red Sea,
Udo
Hi Udo, welcome.

I also have a H2F which I use to shoot film with ... and I have inquired about the same thing. The last communication I had with a Phase One dealer indicated that they had not yet broken the firmware code on the H2F to allow a Phase One digital back to be used on that camera. Whether they ever will would be a question I have since there are not a lot of H2Fs out there as far as I know.

The H2F was offered by Hasselblad to cover two main issues expressed by Hasselblad owners ... the new H3-II cannot be used with a film back ... and those with older Hasselblad/Imacon backs needed a back-up/replacement camera as discontinued H2s more and more become in short supply.

The H2F is actualy a better camera than the H2 IF you are using a Hasselblad CF type back because it utilizes some of the software corrections that the H2 does not.
I have been keeping an eye out for a CF/39 multishot, but the prices are still prohibitive.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
H2F cannot currently, and likely never will be compatible with Phase One. Fotografz points out some improvements for Hasselblad CF back owners. Otherwise the body was developed to to lock Phase One, Leaf, and Sinar out of their camera system. Anyone who thinks there was any other reason feel free to debate it.

Originally Hasselblad said that they could not produce the H2 any longer because there was not "enough demand to justify the assembly line"... so someone explain how there is more demand for a camera that is nearly identical and whose major feature is locking out the competition? Marketing marketing marketing.

And before anyone tries to say that they aren't intentionally locking out the competition but are only promoting "maximum quality through integration", keep in mind that a Phase One back requires exactly two things to work on a body a physical mount and a sync pulse. There is zero technical reason why you can't offer a H3D with integration for Hasselblad backs while allowing Phase One backs to be used for those who prefer the software/support/features. Marketing marketing marketing.

There are still many H2s in either new or like-new condition. For those that want a Phase on a Hasselblad platform any Phase One dealer can assist you in getting a body (or two if you want a backup) when you get the back.

Doug Peterson, Head of Technical Services
Capture Integration, Phase One & Canon Dealer | Personal Portfolio

Udo

Thanks very much for the info.

Yes, you're right, the production statement is hard to understand, due to the fact that the only difference seems to be most likely in the firmware.

Actually I am using a P20 on a H2 body and would be happy to upgrade to a P30+ soon. The P20/H2 works pretty reliable, which will the P30+/H2 combo most likely too. On the other hand I have an eye on the HDC28 which will not be accepted by the H2.

Time to switch to a H3DII-31???

Regards,
Udo

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thanks very much for the info.

Yes, you're right, the production statement is hard to understand, due to the fact that the only difference seems to be most likely in the firmware.

Actually I am using a P20 on a H2 body and would be happy to upgrade to a P30+ soon. The P20/H2 works pretty reliable, which will the P30+/H2 combo most likely too. On the other hand I have an eye on the HDC28 which will not be accepted by the H2.

Time to switch to a H3DII-31???

Regards,
Udo
I'm VERY biased, but the P30+/H2 combo is about 90% off all MFDB rentals in Miami (where this office is located). It is extremely reliable and robust.

The HCD 28mm is not compatible, but at this focal length you're MUCH better off with a dedicated wide-angle platform. A tech-body plus schneider/rodenstock lens is often in the same price ballpark as the $4k HCD28mm and the worst tech platform will beat the pants off a HCD28mm of it no matter how much of a software-correction is applied.

The HCD 28mm is not compatible, but at this focal length you're MUCH better off with a dedicated wide-angle platform. A tech-body plus schneider/rodenstock lens is often in the same price ballpark as the $4k HCD28mm and the worst tech platform will beat the pants off a HCD28mm of it no matter how much of a software-correction is applied.

Perhaps you should see some edge to edge samples before commenting Doug. ;)

fotografz

Doug is correct in respect to the use of a Tech Camera .... for a couple of key reasons ... the HC/28mm mounted on the new Hasselblad HTS1.5 T/S unit is no longer a 28mm ... the only way to get a true 28mm or wider with T/S is with a Technical Camera. Plus, the APO digital view lens optical excellence is unmatched by any MF lens maker, whether using tilt shifts or not.

That said, I use a Rollei view camera and have a Schnider APO Digitar 28/2.8 that I use on occassion ... but mostly find that the HCD/28 on the H3D utilizing the DAC corrections does the job very well if T/S are not required.