The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

AFDIII, AF and shutter button

gcap

I'm trying to figure if there is a setting for the Mamiya AFDIII in order NOT to trigger AF with the shutter button and use one of the AFL (the one near the lens collar) or AEL buttons. I went trough the manual and Custom settings but I can't find a combination leading to this. Has anyone found it?

Thanks!

Last edited:

MaxKißler

If I remember correctly I would set the Custom Functions as follows:
No. 15 to "1"
Check whether no. 16 has a "2" setting, if not set it to "1" and set
No. 19 to "1" aswell.

Hope this works.

gcap

Thanks Max. Tried it, no luck! It continues to AF when I press the shutter button....
16 doesn't have 2.

fotophil

I was not able to separate the AF Function from the shutter release on my AFDIII. I think it is a design flaw. I sold the AFDIII and picked-up an AFDII which permits AF to be removed from the shutter release.

steve_cor

I'm trying to figure if there is a setting for the Mamiya AFDIII in order NOT to trigger AF with the shutter button and use on of the AFL (the one near the lens collar) or AEL buttons. I went trough the manual and Custom settings but I can't find a combination leading to this. Has anyone found it?

Thanks!

On the Mamiya 645 AFD III and Phase One 645AF body, you can make the Auto Focus Lock (AFL) button deactivate autofocus. For this, set Custom Function 19 to 2.

Custom Fuction 19
Autofocus Lock button:

0 Focus locked while holding the AFL button
1 Perform Autofocus
2 Focus always locked until you release it

Then, when you depress the AFL button, AF will be deactivated and the focus confirmation light will stay on.

So you will still focus with the shutter release button. Once you have achieved focus, simply press the AFL button. Then you have achieved your goal to not trigger AF with the shutter button.

Remember, you need to depress the AFL button again to restore autofocus to the shutter release button. Otherwise, you'll find the camera's autofocus isn't working, and the green AF confirmation light is permanently on. Even after cycling the camera on and off or battery removal, you must depress the AFL button a second time to deactivate it.

--Steve.

gcap

Thanks Steve! Yes, I knew how to use the AFL button but it becomes quite complicated. I usually focus first then lock the exposure by keeping the shutter half pressed, compose and fire. With MF I have the ability to refocus if something has changed.
On another note MF with the II is quite difficult. With the III the image I believe snaps into focus sharply when with the II there is a vague area before correct focus that fools you.

Last edited:

MaxKißler

That's interesting. I used to have the 645 AFDIII and never tried to set it this way (or just couldn't because it's not possible). I always locked focus with the ael button on the back of the camera. Then I had an AFDII and remember to have set it up this way, with AF activation on the ael button and deactivated AF on the shutter release button but quickly returned to the other way. The ael button just wasn't convenient to use.

Now I'm using a Hasselblad H2 and am so damn impressed how well that camera works. In case you switch systems or have to use one, you can set the user button to AF operation and set the camera to manual focussing and there you have it. On my H2 I have set it this way and it works flawlessly.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Now I'm using a Hasselblad H2 and am so damn impressed how well that camera works. In case you switch systems or have to use one, you can set the user button to AF operation and set the camera to manual focussing and there you have it. On my H2 I have set it this way and it works flawlessly.
Just for reference this is possible with the DF and DF+ Phase/Mamiya bodies.