The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with black and white (aka real photography :)

aeaemd

Now, we have the achromatic 260, achromatic +, and leica monochrome. The elite film Aficionados still exist. It is about time to have a thread dedicated to black and white photography including cameras, software, filters, conversions, printing , etc.
Show us when you got and lets learn from each other. Infrared is included as well.

WildRover

Real Version ;) This took way too long. Taking the photo is the easy part, all this processing is nuts. Not even sure how I like this or the color version, but once I got started - got sucked into the vortex and was stuck in there until I finally got something finished. Six images. Two backgrounds. Some of the exposures slightly off from each other - whoops. Waves certainly not the same between each. Lots of spotting - healing, then some more. Computer crashes - work not saved - start over..... Background image retains focus through the top third of photo. The wave coming in from the left is part of the background image. The near portion of that is out of focus, but it still works I think, because it adds to the appearance of movement. Started in Lightroom and got exposures and settings to match. Then Photoshop. Did everything to color version, then used Silver Effects to do a neutral black and white conversion. Just used the filter - orange I think, and increased the green slider a bit. So all work done in Lightroom and mostly Photoshop, and just a basic conversion in Silver Effects.

Rick

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
here is an old 500c tri-x shot, recently scanned in on my new Opticfilm scanner: from c.1976

jlm

Workshop Member
and a timer self portrait a few years before that (maybe 1972?) my first mf camera, Yashicamat 124, tri-x. Triumph project was just completed. this was scanned a while back on an epson 700

Last edited:

tsjanik

Real Version ;) This took way too long. Taking the photo is the easy part, all this processing is nuts. Not even sure how I like this or the color version
Rick
Rick, I saw your color version and I prefer this one. Your computer comments struck a cord. Yesterday the dedicated system I use for photography and never on the internet, wouldn't boot.:facesmack: After a few hours of trying various things, I restored the BIOS to default and it booted - but only once. Second restoration of default and I then noticed that some of my RAM wasn't seen by the system. I removed all the memory and cleaned them with alcohol - seems to have worked :wtf:
It does seem that I spend more time with computer and printer issues than photography :cussing:
The darkroom may have been slower, but at least the time was spent producing prints, not getting electronics to work properly.
Tom

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
and a timer self portrait a few years before that (maybe 1972?) my first mf camera, Yashicamat 124, tri-x. Triumph project was just completed. this was scanned a while back on an epson 700
Have you tried to scan the same images with the Epson and then the Plustek? If so, how do the results compare?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Real Version ;) This took way too long. Taking the photo is the easy part, all this processing is nuts. Not even sure how I like this or the color version, but once I got started - got sucked into the vortex and was stuck in there until I finally got something finished. Six images. Two backgrounds. Some of the exposures slightly off from each other - whoops. Waves certainly not the same between each. Lots of spotting - healing, then some more. Computer crashes - work not saved - start over..... Background image retains focus through the top third of photo. The wave coming in from the left is part of the background image. The near portion of that is out of focus, but it still works I think, because it adds to the appearance of movement. Started in Lightroom and got exposures and settings to match. Then Photoshop. Did everything to color version, then used Silver Effects to do a neutral black and white conversion. Just used the filter - orange I think, and increased the green slider a bit. So all work done in Lightroom and mostly Photoshop, and just a basic conversion in Silver Effects.

Rick
And worth the effort :thumbup:

Kabraxis

WildRover

Rick, I saw your color version and I prefer this one. Your computer comments struck a cord.
The darkroom may have been slower, but at least the time was spent producing prints, not getting electronics to work properly.
Tom
Tom,
Thanks for the comment. I think I prefer the black and white version better also. Sorry to here about your computer problems. Mine wasn't near as bad, just time consuming to redo some stuff.

Rick

WildRover

From a couple years ago. One of the first from the Pentax.

Rick

Pentax 645D, Pentax-FA645 45-85 @ 50mm., ISO 100, f/16, 1 sec, three image stack.

Last edited: