The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tech Cam advice please !!

stephengilbert

"I thought he wanted the Alpa last thing I saw."

Guy, as we know, these threads don't stop just because the original poster got enough information. They just mushroom.

satybhat

Hmm,
interesting change of conversation.
So yes, indeed, I'm having a look at Alpa. But pray enlighten, does the small size of STC ( 75x75mm ) really become an issue with vignetting coming up if tilted ?
If so, the max remains the only valid option. unless I go cambo...
here we go again !!!! just when I thought I had it sorted :)

Don Libby

Hmm,
So yes, indeed, I'm having a look at Alpa. But pray enlighten, does the small size of STC ( 75x75mm ) really become an issue with vignetting coming up if tilted ?
Curios, what have you been able to actually get your hands on and tired out? A lot will become clear once you try out a couple systems (sounds like a fortune cookie)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Hmm,
In a word - no. All Alpa bodies are essentially the same. What works on the Max works on the STC, SWA, SW, TC etc. I don't quite know where the tilt vignette/clip is coming from but I have never had it on my Alpa with T/S and 150mm SK. Even with rise/fall or shift.

Don Libby

In a word - no. All Alpa bodies are essentially the same. What works on the Max works on the STC, SWA, SW, TC etc. I don't quite know where the tilt vignette/clip is coming from but I have never had it on my Alpa with T/S and 150mm SK. Even with rise/fall or shift.
This comes a guy who has more equipment than most dealers have.:eek:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well, the no relates to the vignette issue with t/s on an Alpa STC ...

Obviously I'd never say no to gear :)

dchew

RodK

As Doug often points out, he works for a company that sells Arca products.

Without suggesting that one or another of the cameras is better than the others, I wonder how often repairs are necessary. I do know that when you want information from ALPA, you can get it on their website or by contacting ALPA directly.
You can always contact myself through email or phone for use questions or repair questions.
Weekends etc., I am available to answer if not immediately, the next morning at the latest.
I use the cameras and I have used all of the accessories as well, so ask away if any questions arise.
Rod

stngoldberg

You can always contact myself through email or phone for use questions or repair questions.
Weekends etc., I am available to answer if not immediately, the next morning at the latest.
I use the cameras and I have used all of the accessories as well, so ask away if any questions arise.
Rod
I can attest to what Rod states here. I have asked for advice and information countless times and have received helpful responses usually the same day by communicating through email and/or telephone.
Stanley

satybhat

ok. this came as a surprise....
my original plan: was to buy an alpa stc with 40 and 90 rodies....
I have now tried both systems: the STC at a friend's place a few days ago and a Cambo wrs 1200 today,
I went in fully expecting the STC to floor the WRS ( at least on perception alone with some prejudice that I picked up reading up on the internet ) but on the contrary, I thought the controls on the cambo were actually much easier, the knobs more accesible from the rear, and frankly, I did not find a great deal of a difference in the "finish" and "precision" that warranted an approximately 7000 K difference for a 2 lens and accessory kit for the alpa... especially with the back and lenses being the same.

Not sure if shimming (an alpa exclusivity ) makes a difference for infinity focus..
and yes, the 32 HR is pure gold.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Infinity focus is perfectly adjustable on any of the three systems. With the Cambo, it's done on a per lens basis via set screws. With Arca, no physical adjustment is necessary (it may be possible, I don't know). Since all distances translate to helical focus settings, you just remember which number corresponds to infinity, and add that offset to any other focus calculation. E.g., if infinity is 3.4, and focusing at 10 feet with your lens translates to 25.7, then set the focus at 29.1

--Matt

miska

About the infinity calibration on the Arca. If you use the e-module, you get a read-out directly on the device's screen about the position of the helical (in meters). Presumably this already takes into account the infinity calibration. Is the programming of the infinity focus on each lens done at the factory, or can you do it yourself (if you decide that infinity is at 3.2 and not 3.4 for example, using the example above) ?
I guess that would pre-suppose the e-module is delivered with some software to allow reprogramming.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
ok. this came as a surprise....
my original plan: was to buy an alpa stc with 40 and 90 rodies....
I have now tried both systems: the STC at a friend's place a few days ago and a Cambo wrs 1200 today,
I went in fully expecting the STC to floor the WRS ( at least on perception alone with some prejudice that I picked up reading up on the internet ) but on the contrary, I thought the controls on the cambo were actually much easier, the knobs more accesible from the rear, and frankly, I did not find a great deal of a difference in the "finish" and "precision" that warranted an approximately 7000 K difference for a 2 lens and accessory kit for the alpa... especially with the back and lenses being the same.

Not sure if shimming (an alpa exclusivity ) makes a difference for infinity focus..
and yes, the 32 HR is pure gold.
Remember the WRS 1200 is the base model. You can get the WRS5000 which has some nice improvements. Believe me I'm not surprised here by your reaction to the Cambo.

Guy Mancuso

Just remember with T/S mounts it's about a 1200 dollar increase per lens. Which still may wind up the same basic price as the Alpa per lens. I'm not sure of pricing so much and would have to compare that . But still you have to buy the tilt adapter for the Alpa. In general Alpa always seemed more expensive. But again that's just a general comment you have to sit down and do the math in real terms. Personally I would compare on a per system basis with accessories for each. Since really end of day that's what's coming out of your bank account. Something maybe cheaper per item on one but more expensive on another so getting kit pricing is best.

Guy Mancuso

Given your criteria from your comments it seems to me Cambo or Alpa might be your best route and that's nothing against the Arca but going by some of your comments. Alpa and Cambo in the models your after are the smaller in size units.

I know we all comment on each systems strengths and weaknesses which is great for making decisions on needs but reality is these systems are very close in regards to quality functions and abilities. The trick is figuring out what marked limitations would truly hold you back from shooting. I have shot all three and they are great systems and I truly never hit a wall with any of them. Just knowing workarounds and more important being able to work comfortable with them so your not out there scratching your head and missing great shots. After 19 workshops I have seen plenty of that you want something that gets you away from being a gear head when your shooting and getting art instead.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Infinity focus is perfectly adjustable on any of the three systems. With the Cambo, it's done on a per lens basis via set screws. With Arca, no physical adjustment is necessary (it may be possible, I don't know). Since all distances translate to helical focus settings, you just remember which number corresponds to infinity, and add that offset to any other focus calculation. E.g., if infinity is 3.4, and focusing at 10 feet with your lens translates to 25.7, then set the focus at 29.1

--Matt
+1

Adjustment/calibration is not an alpa exclusive in any way.

All three systems can (and should be) be adjusted to perfectly match your back by you or your dealer.

As a bonus for Arca if you have more than one digital back you can switch calibrations without any physical changes. First-world problem there :).

Guy Mancuso

I actually calibrated my Cambo lenses it was fairly easy and 1 out of 3 was off but it was a old 35xl . After I got that calibrated it was perfect. It was 3 screws on the lens barrel and just making adjustments shooting tethered to a laptop on your infinity setting. Pretty easy stuff.