The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 645 Pro 50mm f/4 Shift

DanTidswell

I'm certain that this is a stupid question, but can someone tell me what this rotating part of the lens does?

I did look for a manual before asking - honest! :)

ondebanks

Basically it is used on the older non-electronic coupled cameras to tell the body the f/stop selected on the lens.
Sort of...more precisely, it tells the metering prism the f/stop *difference* between full aperture and the stop set on the lens for shooting. It is a relative aperture indicator, not an absolute one. For example, mount an 80/1.9 lens and set it to f/5.6; note the position of that coupling lug. Then mount a 300/5.6 lens and set it to f/11; the coupling lug rotates to the same position, as in both cases there's a difference of 2 stops.

I think the system is rather clever in its simplicity. It tells the meter what it needs to know for correct exposure; no more, no less. Feeding in an absolute aperture value would allow back-calculating of the light eV level, but would not result in a different exposure.

Ray

RodK

The system was developed after the old Nikon systems of the 1960's which also sported this claw type connector on the lens.
Rod