The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HTS 1.5 or a Cambo

palermo

Hi,

I have a Hd4-50 Hasselblad.

Now I have to look for a solution to make the best architectural shots and food photography. I need a correction of the horizontal lines of a building. And I need to play with the depth of field.
What do you recommend.
A HTS 1.5 adapter or another solution like a cambo.

Can anyone help me

Thx!!!

MaxKißler

Welcome to getdpi.

I think it all depends on what you want:
-If you desire ultimate image quality, the Cambo or similiar tech camera system is the way to go.
-If you want ultimate convenience / ease of use, the HTS 1.5 is well worth a try.

I personally would go with the HTS 1.5. I think it's a great extension of the tools you already have thus less money spend on another system. And I regard it very useful especially for food photography where a lot of swings are being applied. You could even use it conviniently on location without having to deal with tethered live view and such.

Well, just my two thoughts...

palermo

Thanks Max for your clear answer.

I don't have the HTS 1.5 but still have to choose. (is there a secondhand website in Germany?). And I can now buy a secondhand H4D 50.

HTS is also around 5000 euro's. I don't know how much the costs are of a cambo set.

bdp

You can usually find used HTS units in perfect condition for around $4000 US. I recently bought one and have been looking for a while, so you just have to be patient and they come up. Try the hasselbladdigitalforum and keep an eye on the FS section. The quality is good but as Max said it would be better with a dedicated tech camera with lenses, but the price would be so high and convenience lower than the HTS. If you're just shooting for publication, not huge prints, then I think the HTS would do the job.

Ben

cly

PS: I'm not sure if the HTS will be the right answer for your needs: if you need a short focal length it's of no help.

Chris

palermo

Oke, great. Thanks Cly and BDP for your help.
But I found a secondhand Cambo: Cambo*Widi*DS*for 2000 euro. Is this a start of a better solution?

RVB

Oke, great. Thanks Cly and BDP for your help.
But I found a secondhand Cambo: Cambo*Widi*DS*for 2000 euro. Is this a start of a better solution?
" Is this a start of a better solution?"

I think that depends on your choice of glass,I had the HTS and sold it because it multiples the focal length...

palermo

@ RVB. So HTS works like an extender too.
witch lens do you recommend for architecture photography?

Last edited:

jerome_m

The HTS is not very convenient for architectural photography: it makes wide-angle lenses less wide and you can't tilt in the opposite plane of the shift. On the other hand, it is very convenient for product photography, because of the integrated corrections in focus.

Whereabout in Germany are you? If you leave near Munich, you can try my HTS to better understand its limitations.

palermo

Hi Jerome. Thanks for your answer. Now its clear to me. I'm from the Netherlands so a bit to far from Munich :).

Pics2

For food, or any other still life studio you can go with much cheaper view camera solution, not a tech cam. I bought my Cambo SCX for 350 euro from Germany, and there are affordable Sinars, Linhoffs etc around. You will have all tilts, shifts, swings you need. A quality lens is a must with your back. Both Rodenstock and Schneider digital lenses produce great results. You also have to buy an adapter for your back from Kapture group or another manufacturer.

Geoff

Generally wider is better for architecture, so the HTS is not the best answer. The Cambo DS is less money than the RS because its less desired. Its heavier, shift controls on the front, not the back, so harder to use from the back.

In architectural shots, usually the quality of the lens is key, so here's a vote for a tech camera and a wide lens (35-60mm). You can stitch the 50-60mm lens images and get some pretty sweet results.

If money is the limit, consider a view camera with geared movements, so that you can use lenses mounted on boards and not helical mounts. While less convenient, they are more flexible.

Ken_R

If you want/need shift/rise/fall and tilt with wide angle lenses in the 23-50mm range you basically need a technical camera system. Body, lenses and the necessary accessories. It won't be cheap but it is essential if you need that capability.

If you do not need to use wide angles then there are MANY other options. Tech cameras, large format bellows type cameras, the HTS adapter and T/S lenses.

jerome_m

I'm from the Netherlands so a bit to far from Munich.
That's too bad. You could complete your profile with a location.

BTW: the HTS comes regularly on eBay. There is one at present from an Italian professional seller for €3600, which is above average, they usually sell a bit under 3000, but this one is new (a demo model).

As to the HTS, one further thing some people do not realize: it disables AF and AF confirmation.

MaxKißler

My school supplies its students with loaner Sinar F2s which have to be used for most architecture and stillife subjects. But to be honest I disliked the F2 so much that I got myself a perfectly working Cambo Legend for about 230€. When I had my Aptus 22 I shot it several times just for fun and as a means of checking (because we were supposed to shoot film back then) and though it did work, it was anything but convenient. At the moment I solely use my Cambo with 4x5 film.
I tried to shoot food with it, but the sliding back adapter was hard to use and nailing focus was almost impossible. So even if money was no object, I'd still go with the HTS. But that's me and your demands might be very different.

9 shot stitch (covered almost the entire 4x5 format) and Sironar N 150mm at f22.

bdp

Like new HTS for sale for $4600 on Hasselbladdigitalforum, but now it seems you need to join to see the buy and sell topics, which I think used to be public.

But the widest lens you can get is the new 24mm, which is expensive. That turns into a 36mm-ish lens or something like that because of the 1.5x magnification of the image circle created by the HTS. Maybe that's wide enough for architecture, maybe not. So you'd be up for $9-10K, and for that kind of money maybe a used Cambo and just as pricey (if more!) tech lenses would be better.

Ben

anGy

The digital serie of Schneider and Rodenstock lenses are the cream of the crop.
I wouldn't expect the Hasselblad/Mamiya lenses to reach their quality level.
Furthermore the HTS do contain a glass element. I don't know how it impacts the IQ but it's sure it won't improve it. So the IQ difference between a Cambo + Rodenstock and an HTS + Hasselblad lens combo shouldn't be neglected with your high res back.

palermo

The digital serie of Schneider and Rodenstock lenses are the cream of the crop.
I wouldn't expect the Hasselblad/Mamiya lenses to reach their quality level.
Furthermore the HTS do contain a glass element. I don't know how it impacts the IQ but it's sure it won't improve it. So the IQ difference between a Cambo + Rodenstock and an HTS + Hasselblad lens combo shouldn't be neglected with your high res back.
Have you tested it by yourself or is it a presumption?