The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New technical camera, what brand

cyron123

Hi guys,
ok i am new with technical cameras. First a saw some ALPA cameras. Some said to me that they are overrpriced and other manufactureres / brand have a better Price / use factor.

What do you think? Do you get more for your money with cambo or silvestri or ......
Thank you
cyron

Don Libby

A similar question was asked and is still be answered. I'm on an iPad otherwise I'd be able to give you the hotlink to the discussion but in the meantime I suggest you take a look at the discussion " Tech Cam advise please!!" That was started by satybhat 6 days ago. Lots of good information/advise there without having to repeat it all once again.

Dogs857

The cost evens itself out pretty much after getting into Tech cameras with a couple of lenses. I don't think this is an area where you should be influenced by overall cost. It's expensive, that's all there is to it.

Instead work out your budget, find the system that is right for you and then get the best you can for the money you have. Otherwise you will always feel like you compromised and will eventually try and change. That will cost you a lot more in the long run.

As for which is best, that depends on what you want. Where are you located? Can you get into anywhere to try these things out?

Check out the link jlm posted as this is our most recent discussion on this topic.

cyron123

Hi guys,
i add my location to my name. I think i have to read a lot of threats now. Thank you for your infos.
cyron

kdphotography

Definitely threats. You know how rough that Alpa gang can be. It's pretty expensive to get jumped into that Alpa gang. But then again, I'm not so sure the Cambo brotherhood is any less relentless....

:ROTFL:

cyron123

Sorry english is not my native language. I think "thread" is right. :)

Hey guys, post your prefered gear..!! i am fully open in my decision what brand, what type...but only MF quality and above...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hey guys, post your prefered gear..!! i am fully open in my decision what brand, what type...but only MF quality and above...
Having been part of this process many times I can say pretty firmly this approach will not get you very far. It's the equivalent to "what's your favorite car" wherein everyone's answer will be right, but very few answers will be relevant to you.

Instead perhaps you could tell us a bit about yourself, what you shoot, how you like to shoot it, what your favorite part of your favorite cameras are, what your priorities are, what your budget is, and what you hope to accomplish by switching to a tech camera brand.

With more details like that then everyone here can match up any commonality they have with you, and let you know things like "you said you really want to hand hold the tech camera and I really enjoy my XYZ tech camera because it's so nice to hand hold" or "you said compact design was really important so I'd warn you against XYZ tech camera because it's pretty hefty compared to others" or "you said you live in X location and that you'd want somewhere you could get fast service if you needed it and I also live in X location and would recommend you to avoid XYZ which is not like this".

But just asking for what everyone owns is not really that helpful. If you want that, just look at the "fun with tech camera" thread - but even that I don't think is a great approach to finding which camera will best fit you.

Last edited:

cyron123

OK Doug you are right:

I prefer to shoot in the nature. Landscape and animals..The animal thing is covered with a really good 35mm system , but landscape i miss some sharpness and resolution. I have a hasselblad H3dII system. It ist good, but i think a tech camera could top this system. But i dont know it. This is my problem.

With landscape shooting tilt is a wonderfull thing. Shifting too. The sharpness in the foreground is always a problem for me.

One alternative is th HTS adapter for hasselblad because of my hasselbald H3DII system, but i dont now if this system is OK.

Hope this few infos would help. Thank you.
cyron

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Definitely threats. You know how rough that Alpa gang can be. It's pretty expensive to get jumped into that Alpa gang. But then again, I'm not so sure the Cambo brotherhood is any less relentless....

Hey be careful about dissing the Alpas. Steve and I know where you live! :poke:

jlm

Workshop Member
i have the IQ160 normally used in my cambo, but in the hasselblad H mount; it also works fine with my older H2 camera giving me the IQ SLR as well as a tech camera