Site Sponsors

Thread: Hasselblad and Porsche

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hasselblad and Porsche

Driven by Tradition

Hard to know what to say about this promotional story from Hasselblad, given their recent history.

Twenty years from now, I think Porsche will still be a highly regarded automotive company whose products exemplify performance and cutting edge technology, shaped by their unique history.

Hasselblad? I hope so, but I'm not optimistic.

Gary

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Hasselblad and Porsche

Do what I say, not what I do? Here's what a company that really knows its traditions does, a luxury brand that maintains its position at the leading edge of technology.

And when Porsche wanted to go cheap with the 914 and 924 some 40 years ago, they did so using their own technology in cooperation with their "sister brand" VW. No exotic leathers, no ruby on the light switch, just form, function and tradition. But then, Porsche always was, and still is, a rather unique brand. The Leica of cars, or should that be the other way around?
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

2013 is the 50th Anniversary of the 911. Now THAT'S a tradition worth celebrating....

Porsche celebrates 50 years of the 911 with exclusive limited edition model

G.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Do what I say, not what I do? Here's what a company that really knows its traditions does, a luxury brand that maintains its position at the leading edge of technology.

And when Porsche wanted to go cheap with the 914 and 924 some 40 years ago, they did so using their own technology in cooperation with their "sister brand" VW. No exotic leathers, no ruby on the light switch, just form, function and tradition. But then, Porsche always was, and still is, a rather unique brand. The Leica of cars, or should that be the other way around?

I believe that in electronics a luxury brand can't stay at the forefront of technology. With a single fab requiring billions of dollars (10^9) it can't be done. You need volume. The necessary R&D budget can be created via a sister company, or via a volume oriented line. In the other hand low volume allows unique capabilities, like sensor plus, multi-shot, laser calibration etc.

Let see how it plays in the long run.

Best regards,

J. Duncan