The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Bags Bags, which one to get ?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
This is a Loka with large ICU and STC/IQ/150 but no VF on it (iPhone mount only):

With VF on a TC although STC would be the same size. This is a Gura Gear bag - one half of it. Back when I would carry DF and Alpa together. Been there, done that. Now I use a Land Rover and pelican case for the DF gear. :ROTFL:

If you are only carrying the STC and a single lens then the a lowepro slingshot AW200 (maybe 300?) can easily carry it plus your cables etc:

STC:

TC with VF:

As Guy said about keeping stuff together. I'm probably a poster child for the escapist nature of digital backs!

Last edited:

rayyen

Medium shadow ICU
Canon lens for time lapse video - now I got A7R, can travel lighter : )
I pack my Max / STC outside of the ICU, they are flat and not too difficult to find a place to store in backpack : )

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Notice where Graham puts that back in the last photo. Right smack in the middle. It's like strapping a infant in a car. Perfect spot

tcdeveau

I have the Gura gear pack (Bataflae 32L maybe?). Don't have a tech cam so can't help with seating/dimensions there. The one thing I don't like about it (that may be a deal breaker to some) is the waist strap. It's designed to be able to zip up inside the back of the pack so that the pack takes up less space when you're not carrying it around. Unfortunately, that means the strap isn't very hearty and a loaded pack isn't terribly comfortable to carry around. So if you're looking to do a lot of long hikes the Gura may not be the best option. That being said, overall I'm happy with the Gura though.

As others have said, there's no magic bullet for bags. I also have a Kata that I use for smaller gigs (but there are also things I don't like about it). If you've narrowed it down to two bags, I'd just buy both and return the one you like the least. Good luck!
Todd

GrahamWelland

Notice where Graham puts that back in the last photo. Right smack in the middle. It's like strapping a infant in a car. Perfect spot
I'd love to claim that the perfect bag layout was mine but that's Raymond's bag. I do however absolutely subscribe to the notion of keeping the back in the centre of the bag though. Also, I can recommend the large hoodhat as a MFDB cover too. It'll protect the externals and also the rear display although it won't fit on a DF/DF+ though.

Btw, everything I said earlier about my Tilopa actually was about the Loka. I just checked the tab on the side and I see that my bag is actually the Loka after all.

satybhat: keep the rear pocket reasonably packed (if at all) and you will fit this bag even in the letterbox overheads on some commuter jets and prop planes. I have never had a problem with any airline, including in Australia, with this bag. The worst case is weight vs size so that's where you may have to be careful. I've had a few gate agents disappointed when the bag, fully loaded, easily fitted in/out of the overhad bag strict template.

satybhat

Medium shadow ICU
Canon lens for time lapse video - now I got A7R, can travel lighter : )
I pack my Max / STC outside of the ICU, they are flat and not too difficult to find a place to store in backpack : )
Raymond / Dave / Guy / Graham,
Thanks for the images amigos.
So will be carrying the 40HR and 70HR.
in the image above, Raymond mentions Medium "shadow", I suppose he means shallow. (the only shadow I see here is the one falling on my bank account :ROTFL: )

So the STC with the viewfinder doesn't fit even in the broad end of the medium slope ? BTW, the medium pro is out of stock :cussing: !!

GrahamWelland

If you go with the Loka then the large ICU (which is in stock) fills the backpack up to the top of the zipped area. You still end up with a large free space above the ICU. (That's what you see in my Loka images btw).

dchew

Saty,
Here is my Loka w/Large ICU filled with all I have:
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/512826-post53.html

There are two obvious differences between how I pack vs. how you want to pack: Viewfinder and lens not attached. I had them both attached for the first year I had this gear. It works fine in the Large ICU once you experiment with positioning everything. I preferred to position the assembled camera horizontally near the top so other heavy lenses wouldn't press on the viewfinder.

How you do this really depends on 1) how much you use a tripod and 2) the percent of time a specific lens is used.

If you are going to shoot handheld a lot, then you are on the right track. However, once on a tripod it all changes. If you think about it, the viewfinder is used for two things: determining what lens to use (the mask lines) and framing. It’s really not excellent at either job, so I haven’t carried mine for two years. Here’s how I work:

Find a scene and take the pack off. I then wander around with the Alpa iPhone app in order to find just the right spot, and to select a focal length if it is not obvious.

Set up the tripod to about the right spot. This is an important step because like Graham, I have a good case of the dropsies. I find the best place to mess around with the camera is when it is rock solid on the tripod so I don’t have to worry about holding it. You’ve got lens, adapter, caps, filters, release cable, sync cable… ugh.

I have 3, sometimes 4 lenses. It seemed to never work out that the lens I had on the camera from the last shot was the one I wanted for the next one. I use the 70 and 150 most, but it is pretty evenly split between the two. Without a “go to” lens, it is more work to have one already mounted on the camera. If you have a much-preferred focal length, then carrying it around attached makes wonderful sense, and the back is exposed to the elements much less often!

The thing is once you’ve got the camera on the tripod, the use of the viewfinder goes down even more. You will fine tune framing by test shots anyway because the viewfinder just isn’t that accurate. Also, one subtle change in my photography since using a tech camera has been leveling the camera. I shoot much more often now with the camera level. With a DSLR I never paid attention to that because you pretty much have to point the camera at what you want and to hell with perspective issues. But with a technical camera you can now shift your way to the right framing. Again making the viewfinder even less useful. Others may have figured out how to use their viewfinder more accurately, but I just use the digital back.​

So that is why I don’t mount the lens or viewfinder while packed. As Guy pointed out, if at all possible before this trip go out in the woods for a shakedown in order to work out these personal decisions.

Ciao,
Dave

Guy Mancuso

Like David I have seen a lot of folks buy these viewfinders and eventually ditch them. I think a more useful tool is the iPhone and these apps for it as it's at least a more visual guide on framing and maybe for some a easier way to get the right lens for what they want without switching lenses. Need to remember switching lenses esposes the raw sensor to the open air with dust, rain and such. I just shot in Acadia in the rain so it was not a fun task to swap a lens out but I did which worked out okay but having a iPhone can at least get you a better idea of that framing.

kdphotography

If you go with the Loka then the large ICU (which is in stock) fills the backpack up to the top of the zipped area. You still end up with a large free space above the ICU. (That's what you see in my Loka images btw).
Or....get two small ICUs for the Loka. This gives you the same amount of packing space as a single large ICU, but the flexibility to be more modular depending on your trip and equipment needs, including being able to use only one small ICU and fill the rest of your pack with hiking essentials (non-photo).

ken

Guy Mancuso

Beer cooler essential part of your bag . In my case its a ice cold bottle of Vodka, no ice please. LOL

Lens hood is my cup.

GrahamWelland

Like David I have seen a lot of folks buy these viewfinders and eventually ditch them. I think a more useful tool is the iPhone and these apps for it as it's at least a more visual guide on framing and maybe for some a easier way to get the right lens for what they want without switching lenses. Need to remember switching lenses esposes the raw sensor to the open air with dust, rain and such. I just shot in Acadia in the rain so it was not a fun task to swap a lens out but I did which worked out okay but having a iPhone can at least get you a better idea of that framing.
What Guy said. I wouldn't necessarily say ditch the VF but I would agree that the iPhone & holder gets more use on my Alpa than the optical viewfinder. I use the iPhone & efinder off the camera to scope out shots for composition. Then you can setup approximately with the camera/tripod and fine tune.

These days I typically do a combination of live view and shoot/review to fine tune images. Live view is still pretty crappy but good enough when stopped down/filtered for composition.

The optical VF is good for handheld with a single lens and sometimes for conditions where the light causes your iPhone to act like a perfect mirror and all you can see is your own reflection. Mostly I'll only use the optical VF on my TC with the 23HR.

Dogs857

So the STC with the viewfinder doesn't fit even in the broad end of the medium slope ? BTW, the medium pro is out of stock :cussing: !!
Who are you going through for these bags mate?? Have you tried Camera Pro in Brisbane?? They tend to have a good line on these.

satybhat

Who are you going through for these bags mate?? Have you tried Camera Pro in Brisbane?? They tend to have a good line on these.
Hi Jeff,
Have placed an order with the fstopgear directly.
camerapro are out of stock on everything fstop !!
no idea when the company itself will ship though. :cry:

GrahamWelland

Take a look at the f-stop Satori EXP

Theo
Freakin' awesome video. Adding a crush proof container to my outfit now even in the Loka (and my Satori).

With the f-stop I recommend removing the unnecessary padding on the ICU lids. Not required in the backpack and make it much easier to load/unload in the field. Ditto I don't bother with the internal zipper. Just zip it on the outside. Obviously if you remove the ICU this doesn't apply.

Btw for Loka watch this: http://youtu.be/yejkA6dZi4E