Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Phase IQ Firmware Update

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New Phase IQ Firmware Update

Just wondering if people were having the same problem with KG and Alpa synch cables since they inherently work in the same way to trigger a wake up and shutter circuit connection to the back.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

It didn't matter for me, Graham. I used both KG one-shot and regular pc sync cables. Zero latency and normal. With the latest firmware installed, my IQ180 would not receive a signal and no image would be recorded using a technical camera, in my case, Cambo WRS and HR40. The 5.10.1 firmware did work for me initially, but I had only used it with the Phase DF at that point. Once I tried it on the Cambo, it was a no-go. Once earlier firmware was re-installed, the MFDB behaved normally and worked on both camera bodies.

The issue now presented for Phase One to resolve, is getting my IQ180 up to specification as advertised---in other words, I want USB 3.0 capability. I should be able to have the latest firmware installed and enjoy a fully featured MFDB---without my having to pay any further for what I was promised in the first place!

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Using it only on a tech cam, the new firmware seems to work properly on my IQ 160.

Has anyone had problems with the 160, or is the fault* appearing only on the 180s?

* It is a fault, isn't it, and not a feature?
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

It's good to hear that Stephen had no problems with his IQ160 maybe there's hope for mine. I've still decided to wait till I I return to Tucson next month.

On another note - I've been meaning to comment on how well Ken is doing about not having his 180. Throughout this entire ordeal Ken has remained calm which is the opposite of what my reactions would have been. All that deep breathing is working Ken.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Using it only on a tech cam, the new firmware seems to work properly on my IQ 160.

Has anyone had problems with the 160, or is the fault* appearing only on the 180s?

* It is a fault, isn't it, and not a feature?
    lmao. Thanks for that Stephen.

Interesting question. If this is limited to IQ180's then I will be less forgiving.

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Since Phase has indicated that there have been component changes during the IQ prodction cycle that may be responsible for the PC sync issue, I wonder if they can provide serial numbers of those early IQ backs that might be at risk using the newest firmware.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My IQ160 has updated without issue, including working well on my tech cam. The PC cables I use are the ones that came with the back. I haven't tested the KG cable as I don't use it.
    Best,
    Bob

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

what is the advantage of the upgrade to an early IQ160?

Post Thanks / Like

John,

I put the Phase 5.10.1 release notes in the DropBox folder with archived older fw versions: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/258ngmkjxewo04e/fHEftLJnUM

It's a worthwhile firmware update. Adds B&W viewing of images option. USB3, tighter performance, etc. I just gotta get there... All is good

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Bob - Did your IQ160 upgrade consist of factory modifications or was your upgrade limited to firmware changes? Is your IQ160 an early model? If the factory peformed the upgrade, did you incur any out of pocket expenses?

Post Thanks / Like

Phil,

I haven't heard of any IQ160 issues with the fw update; I've only heard of issues involving older generation IQ180 backs. The issue is real, but it appears to be pretty limited in scope.

If you have a firmware issue arise with a camera or MFDB, your Phase dealer is your best resource to help get it resolved quickly. Zac at Capture Integration was a great help to me.

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Knock on wood, but so far no problems with my IQ180 on a DF+ or Alpa STC with 5.10.1. I use the sync cord with a push button wake up, a minijack connector and long curly cord to the lens. Has anyone found a shorter sync cord with a wake up button and no intermediate connector? Maybe we should all group together to custom order one or push Phase to make a firmware update to have wake up for tech cameras as a button on the back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotophil View Post
    Bob - Did your IQ160 upgrade consist of factory modifications or was your upgrade limited to firmware changes? Is your IQ160 an early model? If the factory peformed the upgrade, did you incur any out of pocket expenses?
    Just downloaded and upgraded the firmware via CF card.
    Shot it almost all day today without major issues.
    I don't think I have an early IQ160 model as I waited several months before upgrading.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

I have an IQ180 purchased in June of the release year and my firmware upgrade works flawlessly. I am not using the Alpa cable but rather the button cable sold by C1.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Coming late to this thread, but I went through this same routine a good while ago, like... May 2012, when 5.x firmware was released and my early IQ180 had problems with it. It had to go back to Denmark for component update, and I noticed a switch from 'Revision 1' to 'Revision 2' on the back. (find yours under 'About') That sorted it.

My problems with USB3 were now fixed - very useful, now works flawlessly with Capture One on a Surface Pro via USB3.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    My problems with USB3 were now fixed - very useful, now works flawlessly with Capture One on a Surface Pro via USB3.

Good luck
    I'd be interested in hearing more about your experiences/workflow using the Surface Pro and USB3 on the IQ.... especially now that the Surface Pro 2 is out. Not too keen on what I've seen of Windows 8 though...

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Wanted to let you all know that my back has a faulty port and will be going back to Phase like Ken's. I am pretty convinced my situation was an isolated case; this is not a systemic problem with IQ1XX backs and firmware 5.10.1.

One thing I mentioned somewhere above is that my back always had occasional sync issues, say one capture out of 20. I just chalked it up to the sync cable. But it now looks like I've had a faulty port for a while, maybe since day one. So please don't think everyone will have the same issue I did.

Phase and my dealer have been very good throughout this process. Cheers to all involved.

Ciao,
    Dave
    Last edited by dchew; 2nd January 2014 at 18:29.

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing more about your experiences/workflow using the Surface Pro and USB3 on the IQ.... especially now that the Surface Pro 2 is out. Not too keen on what I've seen of Windows 8 though...

ken
    There's not much to say really - it works. The screen is bright and great in the field, even in sunlight. You have a free version of Capture One Pro DB you can install on the Pro. I simply tether my IQ in the field, and get a really accurate 100% focus check, much better than using the back screen. The Pro could be lighter (its 2lb) but its not bad, and a lot better than the 5lb Fujitsu convertible I used before. I wish Apple would release an iPad Pro, but they don't seem interested in doing that. With this set up I saw no reason to upgrade to an IQ280, with the WiFi to iPad. You get a better features -full C1 Pro- with the simple use of a $10 cable than the WiFi feature can ever give..

There is a lot of hubbub talked about Windows 8, but really its fine. People need to get over it, they want everything to stay exactly the same. It's just a modest learning curve, and now I'm settled into it, I kind of prefer it to 7, though they do try and force their apps on you - Weather, News, Music, etc. but so do Apple, Google, its part of the deal. The upgrade to 8.1 is free, of course.

The original Surface Pro is great value now if you want to try - you can get them for as little as $450/500. Battery lasts 4hrs, which is plenty for my purposes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    I wish Apple would release an iPad Pro, but they don't seem interested in doing that.

The original Surface Pro is great value now if you want to try - you can get them for as little as $450/500.
    There was an interesting article here a couple days ago: The case for an iPad Pro - Computerworld

Meantime, do you feel there'd be any benefit to the Surface Pro 2 over the previous model?

Post Thanks / Like

Surface Pro 2 has better battery life and a faster processor. Some other minor tweaks. The tablet form factor combined with a DigiPlate Lite from Nine-volt.com looks like a good portable USB3 tethering combination for the IQ series MFDB.

Of course, I need to get my IQ180 back from Denmark first. It's awfully lonely here in Carmel.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Surface Pro 2 has better battery life and a faster processor. Some other minor tweaks. The tablet form factor combined with a DigiPlate Lite from Nine-volt.com looks like a good portable USB3 tethering combination for the IQ series MFDB.

Of course, I need to get my IQ180 back from Denmark first. It's awfully lonely here in Carmel.

ken
    I have the Digiplate Lite - is really good and half the weight of a Tether Tools or Gitzo plate. Here is a photo of it, with a MacBook Air. You can set it up on a Gitzo "0" tripod, for me the new set up set saves 2.5 kg over what I was doing before
    I have also tried it with optional bracket that allows it to hang on the tripod the camera is on - it works

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Might be old news however wanted to share.

I didn't want to do the upgrade to my 160 while in Jackson Hole just in case it bricked like Kens so waited until I got back. Having gotten caught up with everything else I decided to do the upgrade this afternoon. Long story short - IT LIVES! Ran the upgrade and tested it out on both the DF and WRS using a one shot wig no problems.

My 160 is one of the older backs since Guy bought it I think as soon as it was released before me buying it. So, if you have a 160 and are hesitant as I was in doing this go ahead and jump in, the waters fine....
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    ...My 160 is one of the older backs since Guy bought it I think as soon as it was released before me buying it. So, if you have a 160 and are hesitant as I was in doing this go ahead and jump in, the waters fine....
    Just to second that… My IQ160 was delivered shortly thereafter, and I did the update a couple weeks ago with no problem too.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just really glad that Phase One has my back back to normal! I'm very appreciative of the customer service from Capture Integration in Atlanta and Phase Melville, NY and Phase One in Denmark.

In the meantime, I spent quite a bit of time putting together some tethering options like Phil (above) and have to say I'm impressed with the build-quality of the Nine-Volt Digiplate Lite system. I even fashioned together a semi unorthodox use of the Digiplate Lite for the Surface Pro 2, ditching the "red arms" for further weight savings. Not sure if it's "for me" and may sell it or keep it in studio.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just another reason why the "smart money" went with the 160.

Post Thanks / Like

I drilled a series of 1/2 inch diameter holes to reduce the weight of the Digiplate Lite Bracket. The aluminum alloy is quite strong so that the holes have not compromised the function of the bracket.

Post Thanks / Like

Update - My IQ180 is back from Denmark. Works like a charm. At first I had a few misfires, but either the back learns or I found my rhythm; it has been flawless the last 5 days. They did a lot of stuff. Service report says:
    Recalibration
    Firmware updated
    Repair of Digital board
    Repair of Utility board
    Repair of Interface circuit
    Firmware version check
    Image capture & inspection
    Focus inspection
    Check of camera attachment
    Check of external connections
    Visual inspection
    Cleaning

Dave

davechewphotography.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Great news Dave!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Don. P1 really stepped up. When I originally bought this at PODAS I had to choose between the DF kit or the VA warranty. I chose the kit thinking I would sell the DF and upgrade the warranty after a few months. Well, when I sold the DF good 'ol American Immediate Gratification* took over and I bought the SK150 instead.
    [*Hmm; AIG - maybe this is what the failed-then-bailed insurance giant really stands for?!]

Long way of saying my back was out of warranty, but they covered it anyway. All I paid for was shipping. I am indeed a Happy Camper.

Dave

davechewphotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post