Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Phase IQ Firmware Update

Post Thanks / Like

New Phase IQ Firmware Update

No impact on those of us with DF bodies, but not so good for those with older generation AFD/II/III/PhaseAF bodies. Apparently the recent firmware 5.10.1 update renders older bodies obsolete for those with IQ series MFDBs.

https://captureintegration.com/new-f...-series-backs/

Not sure for the rationale, but doesn't make much sense. Ok, Phase One--so hurry up and release a new improved Phase camera platform and I won't say anything more....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New Phase IQ Firmware Update

I have the DF and IQ180.

Is there any good reason to upgrade? I don't use LV much and everything seems pretty stable these days.

??
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    No impact on those of us with DF bodies, but not so good for those with older generation AFD/II/III/PhaseAF bodies. Apparently the recent firmware 5.10.1 update renders older bodies obsolete for those with IQ series MFDBs.

Not sure for the rationale, but doesn't make much sense. Ok, Phase One--so hurry up and release a new improved Phase camera platform and I won't say anything more....

Thanks for the link. I though about updating the firmware on my IQ160 but decided not to because I was afraid it might not work with my H1. I don't see this mentioned in the link but it might be the case. I am not willing to test it. My back works great with the H1 now so I will leave it as is.

I did update C1 Pro and is working great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One new feature caveat is the addition of the B&W view for the IQ1x backs. Can come in very handy in bright light when reviewing an image. Apparently came with P 65+ but left off IQ gen. Is standard on IQ 2x.

Paul Caldwell

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So, let's hope that this actually fixes the still present DF+ / IQ2 series lockups and the brain damaged level control. I'm looking forward to trying it out.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Bill

I for one would like a better camera body than the 645DF - maybe one with a better spread of focus points - just for starters.

Mal
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think Phase One need to explain the rationale.

Can't see the sense in this at all from a customer perspective.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They don't even mention it on the firmware update page or the release notes:
    Firmware updater for 645DF/645DF+ camera and P+ digital backs

I would be furious if I had a IQ back and updated the firmware just to find out it doesn't work with my AFDIII anymore...!

Peter
    Peter
    My website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    I think Phase One need to explain the rationale.

Can't see the sense in this at all from a customer perspective.
    It was explained to me by Steve Gilbert (tongue in cheek) that real photographers use technical cameras.... (Btw, that's sarcasm coming from a guy who called excited over the A7r...)

Quote Originally Posted by Pemihan View Post
    They don't even mention it on the firmware update page or the release notes:
    Firmware updater for 645DF/645DF+ camera and P+ digital backs

I would be furious if I had a IQ back and updated the firmware just to find out it doesn't work with my AFDIII anymore...!

Peter
    Yup, I'd be pretty frustrated if that were me. Per CI, you can downgrade the firmware, but the IQ2 backs still won't communicate with the older bodies. I'm still with a lowly IQ1 series so I'm okay. But imagine if you had just put out the cash for a new IQ2 upgrade. Okay, so probably the majority that now have the new IQ2 series, probably have at least the DF or DF+ generation body, so not an issue. But still...

If I had an old AFDIII or Phase AF, and just bought/upgraded to a new IQ260/IQ280, I think someone owes me a smokin' stinking hot deal on a new DF+ and a trade-in on my clunker...

ken

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My bet it probably was never tested. Pretty sad if you ask me. The AFD3 is not a bad backup to have for a reasonable price. Also it can shoot film. They need to fix this or give those owners a heavy trade in discount. And I mean heavy discount.

It certainly is there sore spot is the bodies.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Shade of Hasselblad? Open system? Sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think I was the customer who helped the good people at CI find the issue... it was very bad indeed. Lucky for me the downgrade worked fine.

And with that, hi everyone! I may not post often but really appreciate the discussions here. I'm currently shooting with the IQ140 and the 645AF body. No regrets!
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just wonder if we're being a little unfair to Phase One. Maybe, just maybe, the only way to make the DF/DF+ reliable with the IQ was to fix the communication problems and that this rendered the previous generation bodies incompatible?

Btw, has anyone tried the new DF+ firmware with the Iq2 update?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well it could have been known to users before downloading it was just for the DF
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy: absolutely agree. If it had hit me I'd have been pissed. It happened to me with a DF update before that rendered non AF glass incompatible. I found out in Monument valley with you folks when a couple of my lenses wouldn't work. They should be more diligent and intelligent about their release notes.

Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    I just wonder if we're being a little unfair to Phase One. ....
    Actually, Phase One just has a sense of humor. They were just messing with the new guy AaronK. The firmware rollback will be issued later this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Well it could have been known to users before downloading it was just for the DF
    The problem here, albeit probably minor in reality, is that on resale of your IQ2 MFDB, the scope of potential buyers is limited a tiny bit more because now users of old Phase/Mamiya bodies are excluded. That limited market just got a hair smaller. But then again, in that rarified air, you should be using at least a DF body anyway.

I am soooo ready for a new Phase body, just as much as I am soooo ready for a new Canon body to replace the 1Ds Mark III.

ken

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We (Digital Transitions) have not found any situation in which a back which worked with an older body, cannot be made to work with that older body again, by simply downgrading the firmware (or "restore firmware" from factory default).

But we have very few customers with older bodies and an IQ back, so our sample size may just be insufficient?
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, Phase One just has a sense of humor. They were just messing with the new guy AaronK. The firmware rollback will be issued later this afternoon.

The problem here, albeit probably minor in reality, is that on resale of your IQ2 MFDB, the scope of potential buyers is limited a tiny bit more because now users of old Phase/Mamiya bodies are excluded. That limited market just got a hair smaller. But then again, in that rarified air, you should be using at least a DF body anyway.

I am soooo ready for a new Phase body, just as much as I am soooo ready for a new Canon body to replace the 1Ds Mark III.

ken
    Wow, I feel loved already! It is what it is, and from all the DF+ discussions I've seen, I'll hold onto the 645AF for the foreseeable. I still run film through it from time to time.

Post Thanks / Like

I had an old firmware, 3.01.13 (yeah I know...). I updated today and the back was having trouble recognizing a signal from the PC sync cord. Tried another cord and various lenses, no luck. Then I downgraded using Firmware Updater to 5.00.51, but that was worse; couldn't get a single shot off. So now I'm back to 3.01.13.

Does any one else have a early-vintage IQ180 that's never been in for service, running on newer firmware w/ tech camera? Mine was delivered Nov-2011. I'm beginning to wonder if my back needs a vacation to Denmark

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dchew View Post
    I had an old firmware, 3.01.13 (yeah I know...). I updated today and the back was having trouble recognizing a signal from the PC sync cord. Tried another cord and various lenses, no luck. Then I downgraded using Firmware Updater to 5.00.51, but that was worse; couldn't get a single shot off. So now I'm back to 3.01.13.

Does any one else have a early-vintage IQ180 that's never been in for service, running on newer firmware w/ tech camera? Mine was delivered Nov-2011. I'm beginning to wonder if my back needs a vacation to Denmark

Dave
    You could also try 5.06 and/or 5.08. If those work reliably for you then you'd be getting nearly all the benefits of 5.10 without any hassle. You could then wait for the next minor update to see if it goes without issue before spending any time on it.

Your dealer should have 5.06 and 5.08 for you. In any case I'd contact them to they can file a case with the info for the Firmware R+D guys to be aware.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Doug,
    Already emailing my dealer back and forth to work it out. They also suggested 5.06.

I've been playing around and found if I am quicker with the shutter stroke, it works much better. Still gets hung up every 10-20 shots...

I will let everyone know what Phase comes up with.

Ciao,
    Dave

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,

Looks like I'm in a similar situation as you. IQ 180 updated firmware to 5.10.1 and now the back doesn't pick up the pc sync from the one shot/lens. Phase DF appears to work fine.

Unless a fix is quickly forthcoming, I'll have to revert back to factory defaults and try and find out what subsequent firmware updates are available and work best until Phase gets around to addressing ver 5.10.1

ken

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ken/Dave - I wouldn't struggle too much. There are some improvements in the latest firmware, but not enough that it's worth you hassling over. If you can't get it to work, and work without hassle, just revert, notify your dealer, and wait for another release.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

a testimony t Doug's frequent (and usually right on) mantra to hold off on new releases of software

Post Thanks / Like

Ken,
    Your are welcome to my 3.01.13 from last summer if you pm me. Or you can wait until I test 5.06 and I could send you that one.

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    a testimony t Doug's frequent (and usually right on) mantra to hold off on new releases of software
    Yeah I suppose. The thing is "Firmware Updater" found a previous version on the web, 5.00.51, but that was worse! Couldn't get a single shot off with that one loaded.

Dave

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Dave. I know I have updated my IQ180 firmware at least a couple times since purchase, so I know that the more recent firmware updates (prior to the latest 5.10.1) should work fine on the IQ series using both DF and technical camera bodies. I need to get ahold of 5.06 as I don't think I archived it.

The answer I got from Phase Denmark this morning was to use zero shutter latency. I don't have time at the moment to play around and will check their workaround later. But my initial reaction is that the reason I use the capture group one-shot cable is to avoid using zero latency because it uses up more battery power and generates more heat as well.

ken

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ken, I just emailed some firmware files to you.

I'd still work with your dealer on the support case - it's not impossible there is some good reason for you NOT to try a particular firmware. So "consult with your doctor" as the pharma ads say, but thought I'd sent the firmware files to you to save you some time/effort in case that's the recommended step.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    True enough though in this case:
    - firmware is usually more reliable than software
    - rolling back the firmware to the factory-installed firmware is a fast/simple operation with an IQ/IQ2 back

Still I'm hesitant to ever recommend viewing firmware upgrades too casually. Certainly they should never be done right before a shoot and you should test all functions relevant to your use after any update.

Post Thanks / Like

...The answer I got from Phase Denmark this morning was to use zero shutter latency.
    ken
    Don't bother; I tried that and it didn't work. It's like the PC input goes completely dumb, so the back never does anything even in zero latency. Probably because it has no idea the shutter fired for the actual capture.

Dave

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Tried zero latency before seeing your reply, Dave. Zero latency isn't a workaround. Also swapped out my single shot cord for a normal phase MFDB to pc sync and separate trigger. I was able to record one exposure, then nothing further. Zero latency is not a workaround regardless of triggering mechanism or cords.

Back to square one. Thanks, Doug!

ken
    Last edited by kdphotography; 16th December 2013 at 08:30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After installing the new FW, when I view an image, an information screen appears in front of the image and I have to tap the image to make it go away. How do I stop this?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    After installing the new FW, when I view an image, an information screen appears in front of the image and I have to tap the image to make it go away. How do I stop this?
    In your picture the [information/metadata tool] is on. Simply tap the box in the bottom right with the ISO labeling and that tool will be disabled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Duh. I was holding that box and getting the underlying options. Never thought to tap it.

Thanks, Doug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One of the best thing being an owner of the Phase One back is having Doug behind you.
    Many Thanks,
    -son
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Really back to square one----Firmware 1.18. (can't beat that, huh Dave?)

Doesn't matter if I use Phase One's Firmware Updater program tethered or use the CF card in the IQ180. I can't update the firmware; installation or firmware update fails. For awhile there I was on firmware 0.00 and even selecting revert back to factory default failed. Feeling so lucky to be back at 1.18

Firmware Updater only goes back to 5.00.51 and nothing earlier. Not sure how to access the earlier updates and am thinking incremental updates is the answer.

UPDATE: Good dealer support really vital! Capture Integration spent quite a bit of time walking through the ghosts in the machine and I'm back up and running. Still waiting to hear from CI/Phase Denmark on the next firmware update steps to take. I was ready to swallow my pride and accept that new IQ280 gratis from Denmark....

ken
    Last edited by kdphotography; 16th December 2013 at 12:53.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm still running scared. Trembling at the thought of bricking my IQ260 but equally hoping that the firmware fixes irrational levels, DF+ communication and the p*** poor wifi.

Btw, does it stop that dumb long exposure mode dialog coming up? I kind of got it the first time they told me and now it's just an irritating nag screen.

Post Thanks / Like

I do believe the issue is most directed towards early generation IQ180s (probably IQ160 too) used on technical cameras and not IQ2 series MFDBs. And as you'll recall there was quite a flurry of interest and sales when the new IQ180 was first released a few years back, so I don't think this issue is as isolated as people may think---they just haven't used/tried their IQ180 on a technical camera (yet) and attempted to trip the shutter.

Updating (at least attempted) updating to firmware 5.10.1 was pretty unsettling. Hell, successful updating of firmware can be pretty scary watching the MFDB screen flicker and blink as it does its thing. But to see the message "update failed" and then your MFDB reverting to factory defaults on its own is well, I handled it pretty damned good I'd say, particularly after the IQ180 also stopped working with my Phase DF too. But I'm pretty comfortable working through things with MFDBs and Capture Integration was a great help. Incremental updates from there did indeed work, and I'm currently on 3.01.13 which is stable and my technical camera and DF work fine again. In fact, I completed an assignment this afternoon without incident.

More work needs to be done and Phase will need to take an in depth look on further updating the firmware on my IQ180. I still don't have the promised USB3 capability on my IQ180 which requires an additional firmware upgrade and may even require a trip to the motherland in Denmark. (*note: further attempts to update firmware from 3.01.13 to even 5.00.51 were dismal failures and well let's just say it's unsettling to see the MFDB screen locked up and otherwise inoperable)

I don't think you need to worry about your IQ260 Graham.

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm.

I did the update and it failed much like Ken explains. It reset my back to factory default. It took 5 attempts to get it to load. I didn't think much of it as this kind of thing always happens to me anyway. Seriously don't get me to do anything with computers.

However since loading the new firmware the back is working flawlessly. I have an IQ180 on a technical camera and have not experienced any problems at all. Should I be worried?? Usually if something goes wrong it will happen to me, so if this has gone right I must be really up s#*t creek. Is my back about to explode??
    Stop chasing gear, start chasing photos instead.

Jeff, but my friends call me Dogs

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This sounds a bit like the P45+ (firmware update to get to 1 hour exposures). Certain P45+ backs had a controller card that would not work with the update and it bricked (good term from Graham). That is one scary feeling. I had a early P45+ 0399 serial number.

Phase did fix mine and it worked great from that point forward.

One other note, just another reason to buy these backs from a dealer as I ended up using Doug's information help to push my case through with another dealer. End results were fine.

I hate to see Ken's situation and hope you get a loaner/and fix sooner than later. Hope you also get the USB3 working.

I have a 260 and have not updated it yet. I was also hoping to see some wifi improvements, but I don't think this update had any from what I have been able to determine. As I only use the tech camera, I am going to wait till I hear more positive results.

I am still a bit concerned that wifi may be as good as it can be. This is based on my experience with wifi in small devices. Most times the wifi is a plug into the card made by some other company just as on a PC or Mac. These tend to be hard wired coded and not really upgradeable. But Phase may still pull a rabbit out of the hat. I also feel that Capture Pilot will need to be given a total overhaul to work with the iOS7 issues. But that's for another post.

Paul Caldwell

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Grab a bunch of old 1 or 2gb CF cards and have a few versions of FW on there. I have had issues with the sync port on one shot cable. I have the two stage version as well with the little button on it and a 5 second timer. This also sometimes has problems, albeit less often. Zero latency and the single sync cable gets the back hot pretty quickly.

Solution that has always worked for me has been to revert back to a previous version and reinstall, and the issue has always gone away...until the next time.

BTW, not publishing proper "Release Notes", especially on a professional category product -- NOT COOL!!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not including my "factory default" fw 1.18, I now have a library of six different firmware versions for the IQ180 that I will now keep archived just in case for unfortunate events such as this.

I think part of the problem is that as technology gets increasingly advanced with our "super car" IQ MFDBs, there is this expectation that they be as easily maintained as a simple Toyota. It's pretty eye-opening that a firmware update could effect the pc sync signal that the MFDB receives, but it does. Then again, whoever thought we would also be controlling household appliances with our smartphones?

Regardless, my IQ180 does work, albeit without USB3 capability as promised. I don't mind taking my MFDB offline from work; I just don't think I should be incurring any additional out of pocket costs in order to update the firmware or upgrade some internal bits just to get a feature (USB3) that I was promised in the first place two+ years ago.

I'm pretty confident that this will get sorted out in short order.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great thread! Would never have known of this problem of PC synch on tech cams from official websites of our dealers/manufacturer (both CI and DT as well as PhaseOne) though it appears they have learned of it… That's even more a disservice to owners than not originally publishing about the tech back synch problem…

Though I know if I ask the support at dealers about this PC synch problem, they will in all certainty help me through it. Not sharing this problem with the PC synch on some backs (which ones??) on their sites is really a confidence degrader, IMO.

So now that I've vented..

Could I please ask for help from anyone?

My IQ160 is currently on version 3.03.4. C1 is telling me to update to 5.00.51, which I understand is necessary to then update to 5.10.1 (would really like the BW display).
    I only use my back on an Alpa. Having read that the PC synch cable doesn't work on some older models of IQ backs after the 5.10 update, how do I tell if my back is one of these? I'd really like the BW display… Also, any known problems with 5.00.51?? Apparently can't rely what's on official websites… :dh2:

Thanks to any/all who can help,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I'd give an update on my IQ180. In short, I spent the holidays alone this year, and sent my IQ180 out to Phase for servicing.

CI was great in helping to confirm the mere existence of the problem with Phase One and this new firmware and early generation IQ180 MFDBs when paired with a technical camera. Yup---not user error.

CI tech support (Zac) was very helpful in getting my IQ180 back to fw 3.01.13 which is a stable firmware, but still short of the latest firmware releases, which enable USB3. We were not able to update the firmware beyond version 3.01.13. For whatever reason, the latest fw update will not allow use of a technical camera and fails to recognize the pc sync signal. Normal latency, zero latency, regular release, and one-shot cable---all fail to work with the latest firmware. No problems with fw 3.01.13!

As far as we could ascertain, this is an issue that is limited to early generations of the IQ180. The firmware otherwise works well. I could have just continued on with fw 3.01.13, but I knew that I was simply delaying the inevitable. The IQ180 would need to be updated eventually. I want the promised USB3 capability, and other features such as B&W viewing are a nice addition. Furthermore, I'm told that the latest firmware tightens tolerances and otherwise makes the IQ1/2 MFDBs better. If I ever decided to sell my IQ180, the buyer would expect these features and the latest firmware. The period following Christmas is my slow-time. It's the right time to give my IQ180 the attention it needs to bring it back to current specifications.

Rather than send the IQ180 directly to Phase Denmark, CI arranged for Phase in Melville, New York to take a look and see if they could address the firmware issue, and if not, they would be able to confirm if a trip to Denmark were necessary. I agreed. So off to Phase One in Melville, NY my IQ180 went. With the holiday schedule, I haven't heard anything back yet, and don't expect to until next week.

I have a few days off and was contemplating traveling somewhere. But I have absolutely no desire to use my DSLR for personal or landscape work. It sure is quiet here in studio without my IQ180.

Stay tuned.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have a few days off and was contemplating traveling somewhere. But I have absolutely no desire to use my DSLR for personal or landscape work. It sure is quiet here in studio without my IQ180.

Stay tuned.

ken
    Ken, I hope you get your baby back soon. It always happens that the weather is great, scenery fantastic and shooting opportunities at their best when your favorite gear is either being upgraded or fixed!

I'm still running scared with my IQ260 and have held off any upgrades yet. Ideally I'd send my DF+ and the back together to CI and have them do the pair since I don't have a grip to do my DF and hopefully these new changes make that platform better. Killing tech shooting would truly ruin the Xmas break.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just updated my IQ160 from 3.x to 5.00 to 5.10.1. Thanks to Ken and also Scott from DT, I was able to get firmware update files back to 1.something.

All seems good. BW viewing is VERY helpful (looking at some images on the CF card from my last outing). Haven't put it on the Alpa yet, but will tomorrow. No news is good news…

I think this experience has highlighted a couple of important facts for me:
    1. This is a terrific forum!!
    2. Dealer support is so important. Between Ken and I, both CI and DT have stepped up to the challenge of great customer support.
    3. Continue to take claims of "features to come" with a skeptic frame of mind...

So thanks Ken. And thanks DT support. Hopefully, as Ken thinks, this is a problem only with earlier IQ180s…

Best,
    Bob

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ken and I normally call each other several times a week (if not a day) and this has been our number one topic. I was set to do an upgrade to my 160 until Ken ran into the wall with his. My back was originally Guys so it too is in the first batch; will that mean the same problem for me? Don't know and won't know until I try it out. I'm unwilling to attempt this until I return to Tucson in a couple weeks and until then I'm waiting to hear what Phase tells Ken what the problem is. Does this effect just the 180 or both earlier models.

It'd be nice to hear from others who have done the upgrades (either 160 or 180) to gauge the level of problems.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny in a strange way just how fast a tool of the trade becomes a major part of you and how much you miss it when it's not there. I shoot just about 100% medium format with either the WRS or DF and can't for the life me think of what I'd do without my back for several weeks. Hell, you can only do so much infrared and Sandy is using her camera.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all, here's my update:

Ken and I have kept up with each other throughout this process. First I want to add my dealer Dodd Camera to the list of thank you's: Denny has consistently been a big help.

My issue is slightly different from Ken's, in that I seem to have no issue jumping between firmware versions. I've gone directly from 3.1.13 to 5.10.1 countless times in the last two weeks without issue (everyone please find some wood to pound on for me...). But as previously stated I do have the same problem with 5.10.1 and using a sync cable. It works once or twice then gets into a mode where it totally ignores any signal from the PC port.

Phase’s theory is that the new backs have tighter tolerances, and some components have been upgraded since the original release of the IQ1XX backs. The signal from wake-up sync cables is too “noisy” for the new firmware in at least some of these original backs. It is still true that if I use the standard pc sync cable and fire the shutter twice (once to wake the back and once to record the image), there are no problems w/ 5.10.1. Just inconvenience!

But, and this is a big but, the noise from the wake up sync cable is NOT too noisy for the new backs with the new firmware. I confirmed that in a recent trip to my dealer. I threw a new IQ260 onto my camera with my lens and my sync cable with 5.10.1 installed. There were no issues at all. I interpret that to mean the newer firmware relies on the tighter tolerances associated with these newer components. That last part is me talking, not Phase One, but it certainly seems to follow.

Anyway, as a test Phase decided to send my dealer a Schmitt (sp?) cable to add in-line. This cable is basically a filtering device. With that installed, my IQ180 worked flawlessly with 5.10.1 installed.

So, in my case Phase’s position is everything on my back is working as it should; Alpa’s sync cable causes problems because the cable is noisy; the Schmitt cable proves that. I can’t really blame Alpa though, since they designed the cable for a back with earlier firmware, for which it works fine. Well, almost fine. In Phase’s defense my back did occasionally have sync errors, probably related to the cable. But it was a periodic problem with individual captures. It never made the back ignore future pc signals that requires a reboot.

If I read between the lines, I think Phase added the filtering capability of this Schmitt cable into the port or some other component inside the back. This filtering allows the back to work under these tighter tolerances (whatever that means) with the new 5.xx firmware. When they upgraded the port is anyone’s guess; was it sometime during the IQ1XX lifetime or when the IQ2XX was released?

So my choice is between sending the back in for a possible fix (port replacement), or using this Schmitt cable from now on.

I’m telling you all this because I don’t think Phase believes there is a problem with firmware 5.10.1. They don’t look at this as faulty firmware. No one that I know of has an issue with an IQ2XX back. If someone did, that would change the whole ballgame!

Dave
    Last edited by dchew; 29th December 2013 at 08:09.

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I should have more details on my IQ180 from Phase One in a couple days. Looking forward to starting the New Year on a good note!

For those that are interested in archiving older versions of the IQ firmware, these are located at the following Dropbox link, which I'll leave active for a few weeks at least.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/258ngmkjxewo04e/fHEftLJnUM

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great trouble shooting David. Thank you for your efforts. I'll be testing my back today. I don't have Alpa synch cables, but the ones that came with my various Phase backs (3 over the years…).