The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Eye-Fi -> iPad wireless "tethered" image view

yongfei

Today I tested a portable flash and shot multiple photos. They all transferred to iPad via Eye-Fi with success. But you have to check the connection status from time to time.

Here is how the Eye-Fi app interface looks like. After an image has been transferred, you can then use a RAW editor to open it up, or convert it into JPEG.

The Eye-Fi/iPad approach would be a great outdoor field tool to check the focus, or if the CCD is clean without dust spot.

Last edited:

yongfei

An update on the real world usage. Last week, I spent a few days shooting in a mountain area.

The Eye-Fi wireless transfer works fine and is robust. The main issue is that if you use a technical camera, you are likely to shoot many test pictures. Then all those pictures will be transferred to iPad. So if you shoot a lot of test pictures, it will increase the transfer time considerably. Otherwise, this wireless setup will work just fine. On one occasion, the connection could not be established, and I had to shoot a few more pictures to "kick in".

On the other hand, the RAW editing software on iPad is not robust. Sometimes it will automatically exit, especially during image transfer.

Last edited:

yongfei

Another update: I went to Turkey for vacation and shot more than 1000 pictures. The thethering with iPad works fine, but the transfer speed is slow. If the iPad is stored in the bag, then most of time it will not transfer. Have to be very close to the camera in outdoor condition. But it was a joy to see the files go through, and then evaluate the result on a 9.7" high resolution screen.

neil

Thanks for all the information on the process.
This sounds very positive.
I am also going to try this setup.
Which software do you use the most often ?

Kindest regards

yongfei

Thanks for all the information on the process.
Which software do you use the most often ?

Kindest regards
I use Eye-Fi and Photogene, works very robust. On the other hands, piRAWnha would exit and did not work. I think that might because I put all thousand pictures in the same Eye-Fi default folder.

As for transfer speed, if your back uses an external battery, you may put on a larger capacity one, to see if that improves the transfer speed.

yongfei

An update about an Eye-Fi SD card error with Hasselblad CFV back: sometimes I see a few corrupted files on the Eye-Fi SD card. The files on iPad do not have this corruption problem. So import photos from your Eye-Fi card into computer first, before deleting the files on iPad. If problem happens, you can import all the files directly from iPad into computer.

Hello,

i have one idea:
Is it possible to shoot images with a Pahse One back and transfer the pictures via Eye-Fi card on the ipad and control and display it with capture one pilot (for ipad)? Could you connect the Eyefi with capture Pilot?

Thank you.
regards
mueller

yongfei

The purpose of an Eye-Fi card is to do wireless transfer. So I don't think "control the back" is possible. However, if somehow you can do an "open with" on an already imported file, you may try to see if Pilot app is on the list. It is quite reasonable to request Phase Pilot dev support to add an "open with" link to the Phase raw files.

yongfei

Also, you don't have to use iPad. As Surface Pro 2 has been available, you can use that for wireless transfer and opening files directly in Capture One.

yongfei

Another update: when using iPad with 3G data, be sure to turn off the 3G/4G Data option and use wifi network only. Otherwise, it may go through your 3G data network. Also, in 3G data setup, be sure to turn off Eye-Fi app for using 3G data.