Site Sponsors

Thread: Eye-Fi -> iPad wireless "tethered" image view

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Eye-Fi -> iPad wireless "tethered" image view

I have got the setup working to wirelessly transfer RAW files from Hasselblad CFV 16 digital back to the iPad Air.

Setup:
    - Eye-Fi Pro X2 16G SD card;
    - Digigear SD SDHC SDXC to CF tpye II CF Ultimate CF Adapter (available on Amazon or B&H);
    - piRAWnha RAW editor for iPad.

Basically, the approach is to open piRAWnha application, and tap "LOAD PHOTO" to open the Eye-Fi folder. Eye-Fi can generate and display a very small JPEG file from the RAW, which is perfect for selecting the photo to be opened in piRAWnha. After the new image is captured, just hit the refresh icon, and the "Eye-Fi" folder will get refreshed with the latest images. The Eye-Fi transfer speed is about 20 second for CFV, and piRAWnha can open or convert the RAW within a few seconds.

I also tested this approach using Android. The Hasselblad RAW's JPEG is not viewable in Android's Eye-Fi version, but you can still use the "Raw Decoder" application to open the selected RAW file. So while it is less convenient, the same wireless approach also works for Android.

Hope this information will help those photographers looking for an instant viewing solution without tethering a laptop. It may be especially useful for those who use some old digital backs that have a poor screen.
    Last edited by yongfei; 22nd December 2013 at 03:17.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Eye-Fi -> iPad wireless "tethered" image view

That's an interesting approach , I have a question regarding the CF card adapter - is the speed as per SD card spec or slower? I WA's vacillating km purchasing a CF card based system (35mm) and this might help me decide

sent from tap-a-talk

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the speed may have something to do with the digital camera that you are using. For my CFV16, I can transfer the RAW in about 20 seconds, that's about 1mb/sec. On my Canon S100 point and shoot, however, it is much slower even without the CF adaptor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by yongfei View Post
    I have got the setup working to wirelessly transfer RAW files from Hasselblad CFV 16 digital back to the iPad Air.

Setup:
    - Eye-Fi Pro X2 16G SD card;
    - Digigear SD SDHC SDXC to CF tpye II CF Ultimate CF Adapter (available on Amazon or B&H);
    - piRAWnha RAW editor for iPad.

Basically, the approach is to open piRAWnha application, and tap "LOAD PHOTO" to open the Eye-Fi folder. Eye-Fi can generate and display a very small JPEG file from the RAW, which is perfect for selecting the photo to be opened in piRAWnha. After the new image is captured, just hit the refresh icon, and the "Eye-Fi" folder will get refreshed with the latest images. The Eye-Fi transfer speed is about 20 second for CFV, and piRAWnha can open or convert the RAW within a few seconds.

I also tested this approach using Android. The Hasselblad RAW's JPEG is not viewable in Android's Eye-Fi version, but you can still use the "Raw Decoder" application to open the selected RAW file. So while it is less convenient, the same wireless approach also works for Android.

Hope this information will help those photographers looking for an instant viewing solution without tethering a laptop. It may be especially useful for those who use some old digital backs that have a poor screen.
    Sounds very interesting. What is the range of wifi with CF adapter to iPad?

thanks,

Jae Moon

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The tested range is about 3 feet. Because that is way I intend to use. The Eye-Fi card was able to communicate with my router 25 feet away (with walls) in Wi-Fi mode, but the speed is very slow.
    Last edited by yongfei; 22nd December 2013 at 07:06.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

thats the news i was looking for since Eye-Fi came out ... ;-)
    how stable is the connection?
    the only thing i'm worried about is the expected transfer time on my 39mpx back...
    www.thomasebruster.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by photomgraphy View Post
    thats the news i was looking for since Eye-Fi came out ... ;-)
    how stable is the connection?
    the only thing i'm worried about is the expected transfer time on my 39mpx back...
    I believe the CF-SD adapter part is very stable, but just don't know about Wi-Fi transfer stability. May go out next Month, and report back the real-world user experience. I would buy Apple's Camera Connection Kit (SD card reader) as a backup. Since this setup is very cheap to try, you may try it too.

I guess that the transfer rate is about 1m/s for the Hasselblad back.

Also, today I downloaded Photogene 4 for iPad for $.99. It can also open the Eye-Fi's 3FR RAW file within 2-3 seconds.

Post Thanks / Like

The old MC Arsat fisheye - I know it well! Front-mounted on a Copal shutter? Can you get the standards close enough to reach infinity focus with that lens?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

does it work without a router as well?
    i would like to use it outdoors, for architectural and landscape...
    www.thomasebruster.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I tried many such hacked solutions before the release of the Phase One IQ2 with native wireless control, review, and editing.

With every such hacked solution I found the speed too slow, the functionality too hobbled, or the stability too poor - usually all three.

Small JPGs from a Canon/Nikon worked fairly quickly, but you can't do much with them (e.g. no focus/detail checking). Full raws had very good functionality but were insufferably slow even for single-image shooting (even worse for several rapid shots). And in all cases the communication was one way - if you liked an image there was no way (other than writing down the image # on a pad of paper) to reconcile that with the final CF card workflow. CamRanger was an improvement, but was still hobbled in speed and stability.

I'm convinced native wireless is the only way to go. It's not perfect, but it's much better than anything else I've seen. I predict within a year or two all major new pro cameras will feature it in the way that the IQ2 does.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i agree.
    man, if could afford it i would get an iq2 today! but the truth is, i've to stick with my old but already paid h3 back ;-)
    www.thomasebruster.com

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    I'm convinced native wireless is the only way to go. It's not perfect, but it's much better than anything else I've seen. I predict within a year or two all major new pro cameras will feature it in the way that the IQ2 does.
    I predict that major new cameras will feature it in a way that is quite unlike the way that the IQ2 does it. i.e. rock solid reliable wireless in the field and a full featured image review app that caches generated previews.

I still find the IQ2 ad-hoc wifi semi-reliable at best. The analogies of the rabbit ear antenna positioning in the room and tin foil attachments still apply IMHO.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

does it work without a router as well?
    i would like to use it outdoors, for architectural and landscape...
    Of course it will work without a router - that's the whole point of using this simple setup in outdoors (and use Apple's Camera Kit SD reader as a backup). It is called Direct Mode: Eye-Fi card is the hot spot, and you search the Eye-Fi's ID for wi-fi connection in iPad network configuration.

Again, you may start with Eye-Fi card-> iPad, and simply use PhotoGene app to open the raw file. Then add more components or apps as needed.

Let us know how it works for you....
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

at first i have to get myself an ipad - this might be the missing feature to justify a purchase ;-)
    www.thomasebruster.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

at first i have to get myself an ipad - this might be the missing feature to justify a purchase ;-)
    Yes, I did exactly the same - went for a maximized iPad Air - it looks so affordable. Get a T-Mobile version as it comes with monthly free 200mb 4G data. Before doing that, you can use iPhone or Android for proof of concept. iPad has dual antenna, so the speed could be about 50% faster than other devices.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also tested to import RAW file with Apple's SD card reader (Camera Kit) - it works fine too.

Post Thanks / Like

Or... accept a USB3 tether cable and use a Retina display tablet to review the images.

A Surface Pro (1) can be bought for about $500 now, same price as a non pro iPad, and works perfectly with full version Capture One (free in DB form, of course). A cable will cost you $10. That was my cost of avoiding a pointless upgrade to IQ2 series. Full screen 100% review of 80mp images, in about 5 seconds. Works great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My intention is to use this for hobby: taking vacation pictures. I did some calculation: for my CFV, I should be able to take about 100 pictures and transfer them all to iPad within an hour. That should be sufficient for me.

The good thing about this set up is that it will eventually "catch up" and transfer all those RAW files on the Eye-Fi card to iPad, as long as you leave them power-on for both iPad and the back . On the other hand, I will also bring a regular 32 GB SD card for taking those pictures that I want to use Apple's SD card reader to import later on.

If I do a few RAW to JPEG export on spot (using piRAWnha), it will also get the GPS info (of processing location) tagged in those exported JPEGS. Many CFVs should get a bad internal battery by now, so the back's timestamp always starts at 2000-01-01 when it is turned on.
    Last edited by yongfei; 6th January 2014 at 13:27.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

seems there's currently no place in europe to get a eye-fi x2 pro 16gb card ... and eye-fi doesn't ship to europe directly
    www.thomasebruster.com

Post Thanks / Like

seems there's currently no place in europe to get a eye-fi x2 pro 16gb card ... and eye-fi doesn't ship to europe directly

Well... I ordered a Transcend wifi SD card for that reason (that, and it is cheaper). If you wait a few days, I should be able to tell whether it works or not. I have been using a CF to SD adapter for months already. The adapter I use is from Delock, but they have two and only the one marked "for SDXC/SDHC/SD/MMC" is recognised by my Hasselblad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can you order from B&H or Amazon? I got my Eye-Fi card from B&H - cheaper than getting it from Eye-Fi store...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

b&h should work, but i can't find the adapter card at b&h and maybe i'll wait a few days till jerome_m reports his experiences with the transcend card too ...
    www.thomasebruster.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

b&h should work, but i can't find the adapter card at b&h and maybe i'll wait a few days till jerome_m reports his experiences with the transcend card too ...
    You can search "DigiGear CF adapter" to find the adapter (which is made in Taiwan) at B&H:
    DigiGear Extreme SD-HC-XC to CF Adapter SDXCF B&H Photo Video
    Last edited by yongfei; 7th January 2014 at 12:34.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

According to the following review, Eye-Fi card has a better range and faster speed. Let me know either way that you go...

Battle of the Wi-Fi Cards: Eye-Fi vs. Transcend: Digital Photography Review

Post Thanks / Like

The Transcend wifi SD card does not work. The problem is that the app on the iPad does not recognise .3fr files as image files. It recognises raw files from other cameras, but not the ones from Hasselblad.

Edit: and the card's wifi will not work in the Hasselblad. I got it to work yesterday, but in another camera. I thought my transmission problems where due to the considerable interference from neighbours' routers I have at home, but I tried it in a quieter environment and it still does not work. I think that the card does not turn on its transmitter in the camera.
    Last edited by jerome_m; 8th January 2014 at 00:53.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

bad news ...
    does anyone know if "photosmith" does work with 3fr files?
    would look very promising to work together with lightroom, but i'm afraid not with hasselblad though.

thanks for the link yongfei!
    www.thomasebruster.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jerome: you can try ShutterSnitch. If it doesn't work with your RAW, you can contact Apple Store Support to get a refund. The apple store support is wonderful and very prompt.
    2ndNature forums • View topic - RAW Support

Photomgraphy: for 3FR, I am using Photogene (cheap, and seems faster in opening the file) and piRAWnha (White Balance tool is very easy to use).

Post Thanks / Like

B&H will ship the Eye-Fi Pro X2 16GB to Europe. The card costs $80, UPS shipping $40.

A DeLOCK CFast Adapter for SD / MMC costs Euro 35 from alternate.de in Germany. Here's the link:

DeLOCK CFast Adapter für SD / MMC Speicherkarten, Kartenleser
    pbase.com/dorigatti

Post Thanks / Like

Jerome: you can try ShutterSnitch. If it doesn't work with your RAW, you can contact Apple Store Support to get a refund. The apple store support is wonderful and very prompt.

Apparently, I did not make myself understood. The problem is with the wifi application from Transcend. It is free (so no refund...) and is apparently the only way to connect to the card(*). It will download anything from the card, but will only pass to the other applications what it deems to be "pictures". It works with raw files from other cameras just fine. With the .3fr files that the hasselblad produces, it will download them but will not make them available to any other application and will do nothing with them (except save them on the iPad).

(*) Edit: after your answer, I realised this is what I did not understand. Shuttersnitch is another option to talk to the card.
    Last edited by jerome_m; 7th January 2014 at 23:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jerome: I am actually talking about the (refund of) ShutterSnitch app. It is a bridging app, which goes between your Transcend WiFi app and the iPad. So there might be a chance that by going thru ShutterSnitch, 3fr will become available to other RAW editing apps. You may give it a try and let us know if it works through ShutterSnitch.

Here is a discussion about Transcend firmware update in ShutterSnitch forum. So obviously ShutterSnitch supports the Transcend wifi card:
    2ndNature forums • View topic - Transcend Wi-Fi SD Card Firmware v1.5

I remember that if both ShutterSnitch and piRAWnha are installed, after you tap the 3fr picture, it will pop up an option that let you do an "open with" piRAWnha. Not the most convenient, as you may have to switch between two apps to open each RAW, but it should work...

Post Thanks / Like

Jerome: I am actually talking about the (refund of) ShutterSnitch app. It is a bridging app, which goes between your Transcend WiFi app and the iPad. So there might be a chance that by going thru ShutterSnitch, 3fr will become available to other RAW editing apps.

Indeed, from a look at the ShutterSnitch app, it appears to be able to work as a replacement of the transcend software for transferring files from the card to the iPad. I would try ShutterSnitch if I had not realised in the meantime that the card's wifi will not work in the Hasselblad. I got it to work yesterday, but in another camera. I thought my transmission problems where due to the considerable interference from neighbours' routers I have at home, but I tried it in a quieter environment and it still does not work. I think that the card does not turn on its transmitter in the camera.
    Last edited by jerome_m; 8th January 2014 at 00:53.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dorigatti View Post
    B&H will ship the Eye-Fi Pro X2 16GB to Europe. The card costs $80, UPS shipping $40.

A DeLOCK CFast Adapter for SD / MMC costs Euro 35 from alternate.de in Germany. Here's the link:

DeLOCK CFast Adapter für SD / MMC Speicherkarten, Kartenleser
    That is an adapter for Cfast, not for compact flash. What you want is this one:

Delock Compact Flash Adapter für SD Speicherkarten

Please note that this other one does not work in Hasselblad cameras:
    Delock Compact Flash Adapter für SD / MMC Speicherkarten (the only apparent difference is the product code and that the text printed on the card is in German).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerome_m View Post
    That is an adapter for Cfast, not for compact flash. What you want is this one:

Delock Compact Flash Adapter für SD Speicherkarten

Please note that this other one does not work in Hasselblad cameras:
    Delock Compact Flash Adapter für SD / MMC Speicherkarten (the only apparent difference is the product code and that the text printed on the card is in German).
    Jerome I was just about to order it so thanks for the info. However, I don't understand. What is the difference between CFast and Compact Flash? I also read in this thread a recommendation for another brand of adapter (Digigear)avaiable on eBay. So, is it better for me to look for another adapter?
    pbase.com/dorigatti

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jerome I was just about to order it so thanks for the info. However, I don't understand. What is the difference between CFast and Compact Flash? I also read in this thread a recommendation for another brand of adapter (Digigear)avaiable on eBay. So, is it better for me to look for another adapter?
    eBay was not recommended in this thread. It is important to have the correct version of CF adapter. Digigear is one of the brands recommended by the Taiwan factory on Facebook for US buyers. If you are not in the US, then you may try other different brands and let us know what other adapter works.
    https://www.facebook.com/SDCF4I5/posts/344093475729643

Post Thanks / Like

Jerome I was just about to order it so thanks for the info. However, I don't understand. What is the difference between CFast and Compact Flash?
    CFast is the so-called successor to Compact Flash. It is not pin compatible, so the adapter will not fit in a Compact Flash slot.

I also read in this thread a recommendation for another brand of adapter (Digigear)avaiable on eBay. So, is it better for me to look for another adapter?
    I suppose that the only difference between some adapters is the label...

Post Thanks / Like

hi Yongfei
    thank you for sharing this valuable information:
    -do you think the Eye-Fi Pro X2 16G SD card and the
    Digigear SD SDHC SDXC to CF tpye II CF Ultimate CF Adapter will work for wireless tethering with my Canon 1Ds or 5Dc for wireless tethering?
    -and will do i need piRAWnha RAW editor if I am only using it for wireless live transfer of raw files from the two above cameras?
    -also I have the iPad v.1 original if it is revelant
    (I am currently tethering with a cable and it is good for reviewing exposure; but it would be better to be wireless in the field, at the beach, in Hawaii, where I live!)
    thank you
    d david y

-

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David, glad that this information might be helpful to you. While I was researching this topic, a lot of people were discussing about Canon 5D II etc. So in general, this should work for Canon. Some cameras have a metal body, so the transfer range could be severely shortened.

In general, you would only need Eye-Fi app. piRAWnha (or a similar RAW viewer) is only needed for some digital backs that only embed a tiny LCD sized JPEG file (such as Hasselblad 3fr format). For many DSLRs, Apple iPad's iPhoto can open the embeded JPEG to a full screen. Also, PhotoGene is a very good RAW app which only costs $1 (and works with Hasselblad 3fr). That is a good alternative app to piRAWnha.

As for the device, even iPad 3 has some out-of-memory problem when viewing 15-20mb+ RAW files through piRAWnha. So a latest iPad is recommended. iPad mini 2 has the same hardware, and the wi-fi only version should work. Also, you may consider using Google Nexus 7. However, the iPad Air/mini 2 would transfer a little faster than Nexus 7 II.

Post Thanks / Like

Jerome and Yongfei:

A very big thanks to you both for the otherwise very difficult to get info that you shared. Perfect start of the New Year! Much appreciated. I ordered the Eye-Fi Pro X2 from B&H and the DeLock CF / SD adapter from alternate.nl. I have a Hasseblad CFV-50 I want to hook up to my iPad Mini Retina. I will get Photogene. When all the pieces come together I'll let you know how I get on.
    pbase.com/dorigatti

Post Thanks / Like

hi,
    my solution for bringing photos from a camera to my ipad is using an apotop wi-reader ( Apotop Wi-Reader ) , has some nice features, sd slot & usb port ( i use my lexar card reader with it ) & ethernet port. Didn`t try it with Hassy Raw files but transferred my 5dmk3 files with our problems.
    On my ipad i use filter storm pro, snapseed , picturepro (!!!!) photosmith and photoraw.

Regards
    Henning
    PS: Would love to try it with 3fr files if i had a cfv but i`m still looking for back, if anyone has a tip for me where to get one for a fair price let me know.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Henning, that's an interesting product. It is basically a "wireless" SD card/USB reader as I understand.

The advantage of Eye-Fi wireless transfer is that you don't have to power-off and take out SD card to upload RAW files for focus checking all the time. Of course, the speed could be much slower in Eye-Fi...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Today I tested a portable flash and shot multiple photos. They all transferred to iPad via Eye-Fi with success. But you have to check the connection status from time to time.

Here is how the Eye-Fi app interface looks like. After an image has been transferred, you can then use a RAW editor to open it up, or convert it into JPEG.

The Eye-Fi/iPad approach would be a great outdoor field tool to check the focus, or if the CCD is clean without dust spot.

Last edited by yongfei; 11th January 2014 at 14:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

An update on the real world usage. Last week, I spent a few days shooting in a mountain area.

The Eye-Fi wireless transfer works fine and is robust. The main issue is that if you use a technical camera, you are likely to shoot many test pictures. Then all those pictures will be transferred to iPad. So if you shoot a lot of test pictures, it will increase the transfer time considerably. Otherwise, this wireless setup will work just fine. On one occasion, the connection could not be established, and I had to shoot a few more pictures to "kick in".

On the other hand, the RAW editing software on iPad is not robust. Sometimes it will automatically exit, especially during image transfer.
    Last edited by yongfei; 21st February 2014 at 07:42.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another update: I went to Turkey for vacation and shot more than 1000 pictures. The thethering with iPad works fine, but the transfer speed is slow. If the iPad is stored in the bag, then most of time it will not transfer. Have to be very close to the camera in outdoor condition. But it was a joy to see the files go through, and then evaluate the result on a 9.7" high resolution screen.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for all the information on the process.
    This sounds very positive.
    I am also going to try this setup.
    Which software do you use the most often ?

Kindest regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    Thanks for all the information on the process.
    Which software do you use the most often ?

Kindest regards
    I use Eye-Fi and Photogene, works very robust. On the other hands, piRAWnha would exit and did not work. I think that might because I put all thousand pictures in the same Eye-Fi default folder.

As for transfer speed, if your back uses an external battery, you may put on a larger capacity one, to see if that improves the transfer speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

An update about an Eye-Fi SD card error with Hasselblad CFV back: sometimes I see a few corrupted files on the Eye-Fi SD card. The files on iPad do not have this corruption problem. So import photos from your Eye-Fi card into computer first, before deleting the files on iPad. If problem happens, you can import all the files directly from iPad into computer.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

i have one idea:
    Is it possible to shoot images with a Pahse One back and transfer the pictures via Eye-Fi card on the ipad and control and display it with capture one pilot (for ipad)? Could you connect the Eyefi with capture Pilot?

Thank you.
    regards
    mueller

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The purpose of an Eye-Fi card is to do wireless transfer. So I don't think "control the back" is possible. However, if somehow you can do an "open with" on an already imported file, you may try to see if Pilot app is on the list. It is quite reasonable to request Phase Pilot dev support to add an "open with" link to the Phase raw files.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Also, you don't have to use iPad. As Surface Pro 2 has been available, you can use that for wireless transfer and opening files directly in Capture One.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another update: when using iPad with 3G data, be sure to turn off the 3G/4G Data option and use wifi network only. Otherwise, it may go through your 3G data network. Also, in 3G data setup, be sure to turn off Eye-Fi app for using 3G data.