The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Technical Camera questions

etrigan63

Don: I'll bite: what is sweet?

Chris: Thanks for the PDF. This is the kind of info I was looking for from Cambo. I may revise my decision based on this document and Don's recommendation. The WRS-1000 looks like a real winner. Please remember this is a goal for me.

Don Libby

Carlos - got carried away with the images on the PFD also thought the Compact would make a sweet point n shoot.

etrigan63

That's what I figured. I actually published a blog article about that very idea (Cambo Compact as a P&S) last year. You can read it here.

Don Libby

It appears from reading the PDF on the three cameras that movements are available only on the DS and RS. The Compact while weighing a pound less than the RS has no movements. Am I reading that correctly?

don

etrigan63

Both the Cambo and Alpa compact solutions are designed for small size and use of wide lenses. Neither Cambo Compact nor Alpa TC have shift movements. It merely turns your $30K MFDB into a point & shoot.

Don Libby

Both the Cambo and Alpa compact solutions are designed for small size and use of wide lenses. Neither Cambo Compact nor Alpa TC have shift movements. It merely turns your $30K MFDB into a point & shoot.
Heck, I’ve jokingly referred to my AFD III as my point-n-shoot which it is if you compare it to a technical camera….:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

don

etrigan63

Considering the DoF of a wide lens, autofocus is not really necessary and a TC or Compact is way smaller than a Phamiya.

etrigan63

Hey Andrew, I was wondering when you were going to chime in. I am in the info gathering stage at this point and it is down to the Alpa SWA and the Cambo WRS-1000. The SWA images I used for the desktops (to which all are welcome to use) were provided by Alpa. I am really taken by it's design and the idea of using the Leica UniFinder really makes it unique. I would just have to figure out the lens length conversion to dial in the right settings.

As an Alpa owner/user I have a few questions for you:

What are your feeling towards the SWA?

Does the 1-axis shift restriction impede you in any way?

How do you stitch panos with it?

Have you used the SWA extensively?

Which shots in your gallery are with the SWA?

What MFDB do you use?

Thanks for putting up with me and all of my silly questions.

Paratom

Isnt the Frankefinder 2:3 ratio? I wonder if this is a problem or not. However I use a 3:4 Ricoh finder on my M8, it should be worse to use a 2:3 Finder on a 3:4 camera/back.

Hey Andrew, I was wondering when you were going to chime in. I am in the info gathering stage at this point and it is down to the Alpa SWA and the Cambo WRS-1000. The SWA images I used for the desktops (to which all are welcome to use) were provided by Alpa. I am really taken by it's design and the idea of using the Leica UniFinder really makes it unique. I would just have to figure out the lens length conversion to dial in the right settings.

What MFDB do you use?

Thanks for putting up with me and all of my silly questions.

Paratom

Isnt the Frankefinder 2:3 ratio? I wonder if this is a problem or not. However I use a 3:4 Ricoh finder on my M8, it should be worse to use a 2:3 Finder on a 3:4 camera/back.
Of course I meant: .... it should NOT be worse ....

C

carbonmetrictree

Hey Carlos,

One the most important factors that made me decide on ALPA was the fact that their cameras are, in a way, timeless. There isn't a large depreciation value if one decides to sell their SWA one, two, or even five years down the road if it is kept in great condition. I wanted purchase a camera that would not be outdated, I would be pretty upset if a camera manufacturer decided to change a lens mount or compatibility of accessories after I had acquired a plethora of gear. I have not used the Cambo WRS-1000, but I would still go with an ALPA any day because of the absolute simplicity in design, it is perfect in all aspects, IMHO. Jeffrey Totaro had a great review of the WRS, and I would have picked one up as a back up if the lens mounts were compatible. If that doesn't help, just remember that there is a large assortment of fun accessories to burn several holes through your wallet and bank account. Where else could you go if you felt like purchasing an $800 bubble level?

The SWA is a great mix of the Max and TC. I have used all three, and decided to purchase an SWA because of vertical shift capabilities. The weight distribution of the camera makes it very comfortable to handle, almost similar to an SLR in a way. Also remember that the WRS cannot be integrated with a wake up button into the handle, so it will be difficult to wake up the back, unless you have Kapture Group's One Shot cable. I tend to use the Max only for architectural shoots and the SWA for everything else because of it's size and weight.

I recently had an associate of mine ask if I would be interested in renting it to him for a job he had. I honestly told him that I have become too attached to all of my ALPA gear to let it out of my sight, so I was hired as a digital tech to ensure that the camera never left my hands. At this point, I think I should just get the rosewood grips embedded into my hands, only to be pried off when I die.

It doesn't impede too much because I have a Max to use when I need horizontal shifts. However, when I do need a horizontal shift while using the SWA, I have been rotating the camera 90 degrees and use the rise/fall as my x-axis while keeping a vertical (portrait) orientation on my DB. Even then, I've always had enough space to physically move left or right, or been able to use a wider lens and crop just a bit in post.

If you don't want the lens to move to do a panoramic, you can always flip the lens and digital back around, so that the lens is on the back of the SWA, and the digital back is on the front. This will allow you to do a vertical shift and maintain the lens' position to ensure that a panoramic will be aligned correctly. The entire 12 series line of cameras were built to ensure flexibility in options, it made me smile when I found out about this when my first ALPA shipment was on it's way to my home. Although, at times, I am a lazy stitcher and will leave the lens and back in their normal orientation and will let Photoshop deal with the rest of the work.

I've had the SWA for about a month and a half now. I feel guilty for not using the Max more often! The Max is too cumbersome to be hauling around my neck for my personal work, so the SWA has become my primary camera for everything not architectural. I just took my SWA back home to Hilo, HI this past holiday season and came back with fantastic images. Many of then required a few millimeters of shifting, I never once needed a horizontal shift.

All of my new experimental architecture and personal portfolio images have been shot with the SWA. Check out the industrial section in my personal work, I think only two images in there were shot with the Max.

What MFDB do you use?

I'm currently using a Phase One P45+ mainly due to long exposure times ranging from 1-10mins @ ISO50.

Thanks for putting up with me and all of my silly questions.[/QUOTE]

Not a problem! I'm not on here too often anymore because of work, but I am always here to help. Feel free to email me directly if you need anything.

C

carbonmetrictree

I like the idea of the Frankenfinder because it has a lower profile than the Silvestri and the ALPA VFs. I've only been using the ALPA VF to get a more accurate view for an interior shot to double check that the elements within a space have proper separation. Eyeballing guesstimation have become an important factor in my workflow.

Paratom

Carlos,
I am also interested in those cameras.
I ask myself in which regards the Alpa would have any technical advantages over the Cambo-WRS1000.
The Cambo would offer more shift capabilities and should therefore also work better for stitching?
If I had to buy today my heart would say Alpa and my brain Cambo.

Regards, Tom

etrigan63

It doesn't impede too much because I have a Max to use when I need horizontal shifts. However, when I do need a horizontal shift while using the SWA, I have been rotating the camera 90 degrees and use the rise/fall as my x-axis while keeping a vertical (portrait) orientation on my DB.
Could you explain this further? Does the SWA have a method for mounting the camera at 90 degree rotation? That would certainly clear up the horizontal stitching issue.

Is the wakeup cable grip available in rosewood/pearwood or is it synthetic grips only?

etrigan63

Thanks Stephen,

I found that after downloading their catalog PDF and reading the whole thing cover-to-cover. I am falling into the same groove as Andrew and Tom: brain says "Cambo", heart says "Alpa with rosewood grips".

However, I am torn between getting a Leaf Aptus-II back (which fits better into my current workflow) and a Phase back with much longer exposure times (but requires switching to Capture One Pro - which I do own - to get the best out of the RAW files).

stephengilbert

Carlos,

Have you talked to Doug at Capture Integration? (They're in South beach.)

I think if you buy him lunch* you could get a quick overview of Capture One that might sway you. I really hated it until Doug showed me how well it works.

Steve

* And probably even if you don't. But there is a cool cafe a few blocks from CI.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
However, I am torn between getting a Leaf Aptus-II back (which fits better into my current workflow) and a Phase back with much longer exposure times (but requires switching to Capture One Pro - which I do own - to get the best out of the RAW files).
Carlos:

Just curious as to why the Leaf fits better into your workflow -- are you already using LEAF Capture software for some other camera?

Cheers,