The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens hood on Rodenstock 32mm HR

Aviv1887

In the past there has been this very informative thread about lens hoods on tech cam's. My question is more specific in regards to the Rodenstock 32 HR. How have people resolved the lens hood for this lens considering this lens has an inside thread of 86 mm and an outside barrel of 90 mm? I'm particularly curious what Alpa camera users use, in that the lens moves within the camera frame. Each camera system can have a different solution so I would like to keep this discussion as open as possible.

Paul2660

+1for Lee wide Angle hood . You can mount it with the Lee 86mm wide angle adapter ring. Should be able to shift to at least 14mm without hood vignette.

You can also probably get by with the Lee wide angle hood with 1 filter slot.

Paul Caldwell

Aviv1887

Thank you all for the info, very helpful. Aha, I remember now reading this thread a while ago. When people went the route of the 90-100 conversion ring with the slip on holder, did they have to buy an additional WA lens hood with holder? It seems that the slip on holder doesn't come in a version with a lens hood attached? I will write to SKGrimes and see what getting a ring made by them might entail.

Nutcracker

I bought the Lee Wide hood unit (flexible bellows), and the 90-100 ring.

You simply remove the lens-grasping clamp from the Wide, and use the ring doughnut instead.
The ring clamps to the outside of the lens.

Aviv1887

I already use and own the Lee WA lens hood and had purchased the 90-100 ring. However, by removing the lens-grasping clamp the hood doesn't fit the ring doughnut like you suggest. Online I do see that the picture B&H uses is different from the one I have. Hmm.

What about the Sinar Artec Lens shade. You can vary the degree of shading on all 4 sides, which is useful when using shift and rise.

I was going to get one but the maximum filter thread is around the 100mm mark. The thread on my Schneider 28mm xl is 112mm so instead I just bought 2 dinkum systems sun shades. They arrived today and seem very very sturdy.

Nutcracker

I already use and own the Lee WA lens hood and had purchased the 90-100 ring. However, by removing the lens-grasping clamp the hood doesn't fit the ring doughnut like you suggest. Online I do see that the picture B&H uses is different from the one I have. Hmm.
I now remember having the same issue at first.
I also got the 100mm starter kit, and had to remove the original clamp unit and replace with the starter unit, and then the 90-100 ring adapter fitted perfectly. I got my stuff from RobertWhyte.co.uk, whose staff is unfailingly helpful and knowledgeable.

Aviv1887

I'm in touch with SKGrimes but haven't spoken with them yet. Furthermore, I'm looking into the Sinar lens hood system and might get my hand on a 86mm ring to test if it vignettes with movement. Thank you all for chiming in and I will add my experiences when I have them to share.

Marlyn

Free Tip.

Tape the Donut to the LEE holder. It is FAR to easy to drop it when attaching / removing, especially in the dodgy places we tend to use our cameras (edges of cliffs).

No, I havn't dropped it yet, but I can very close, so now mine is affixed to the holder with some black gaffer tape.

Regards

Mark