Site Sponsors

Thread: Cube mishap - a problem and an opportunity?

Post Thanks / Like

Cube mishap - a problem and an opportunity?

Hello all,

My beloved Cube took a bit of a ding recently, resulting in one end of the clamp becoming misshapen. It can still be used as long as the plate does not need to extend fully to both ends of the clamp. Actually fine in ordinary use, but no good for attaching my pano or long lens components. So it will need to be rectified.

It strikes me that this may be an opportunity in disguise. I have the Arca Swiss clamp, which I have learned to accept but have never liked. Being a pretty recent Cube, it seems to be attached with adhesive and hence not readily replaced. However, now that I have to face up to repair or perhaps even a new clamp, maybe this is the time to think about finding a way to fit a clamp that I like better.

I am not someone with a practical turn of mind, so the solutions I have read here involving heating the adhesive up do not appeal to me (at least not if I have to do it myself). So, bearing in mind that I live in Sydney (Australia), just wondered if anyone has any suggestions for how to get the clamp removed and replaced. Any companies or local places who could undertake such work?

All suggestions welcome - as long as you don't try and talk me into doing a challenging repair/mod myself, because I just lack the skills/inclination in that department ;-)

Thanks,

Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Cube mishap - a problem and an opportunity?

I hope you're able to get this sorted out Ed. I don't own a Cube and so I can't offer any helpful advice.

I'm just writing to say it's really good to know I'm not the only one here who lacks the skills/inclination to do a challenging repair/mod like this one myself.

Gary
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ed

An instrument repair place (you know speedos, clocks, technical measuring devices)would be able to carry out this sort of repair - I imagine there would be one not too far away from where you live in Sydney.

Mal
    Toowoomba
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would give Scott at Mainline a call. He is your best bet in Sydney.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ed, it all depends on how old you Cube is regarding heating issue. I changed my clamp at least a year ago and had no issues whatsoever. (I didn't have heating issues until I got the D4.) My suggestion is to try it yourself; shouldn't take much more than removing the lugs from your car's wheel. If more than you've got a newer one with stronger goop on the bolt. A hairdryer won't heat it enough as you'll need a regular heat gun should you try it. Just heat the clamp to the point it's uncomfortable to touch and remove the bolt.

Best of luck

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Don - I purchased it new less than a year ago, so am pretty sure it will be the latest version (with the heavy duty adhesive), but can't be sure.

Jeff - thanks for the tip - I will speak with Mainline. Presumably it's this company?: www.mainlinephoto.com.au

All the best,

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

On a related note, assuming I can get the clamp removed and changed, can anyone recommend the ideal part number for a RRS clamp to replace it? I particularly like the lever clamps they do (though the screw clamps would be acceptable as well). Clearly the main thing is that it is as robust as possible.

Many thanks,

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

In my expereince, the later production Cubes and all of the D4 heads use a higher strength thread sealant compound than the earlier production models. The bolt used to mount the clamp on to the Cube must be heated in order to soften the higher strength sealant. As Don mentioned, an industrial grade heat gun is required. On my D4, I used wet rags in the vinicity of the bolt head in order to minimize heat in the surrounding area such that the plastic locking tabs would not be damaged. A hex wrench with a long handle will be required to apply enough torque to over come the sealant. Once the old clamp has been removed, you can contact RRS regarding the proper replacement clamp. I would not try to force the bolt wihout heating for fear of breaking the bolt. A machine shop should be able to perform the work but they may ask you to waive any damage claims in case something goes wrong. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Phil - all very useful reminders of the key issues with getting rid of the strong adhesive. I will see what mainline have to say about doing such a thing!
    Ed Hurst, www.spiffingpics.com

Post Thanks / Like

When discussing the issue with your machine shop be sure to inform them of the ARCA Factory's use of thread sealant rather than adhesive. The term adhesive implies that the clamp is "glued" to the Cube when in fact the threads of the bolt which attachs the clamp to the Cube is coated with thread sealant.

Post Thanks / Like

Good point!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hurst View Post
    Thanks everyone for your replies.

Jeff - thanks for the tip - I will speak with Mainline. Presumably it's this company?: www.mainlinephoto.com.au

Ed
    Ed, that's him. Scott should be able to help with your problem. Mainline is one of the brst places around.They have a wealth of experience on all sorts of gear.
    Cheers,
    Jeff
    www.jeff-grant.com

Post Thanks / Like

They have indicated that they can do the work - I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

By the way, they have suggested fitting a Novoflex clamp (as it is what they stock). I have no experience of them. Can anyone provide any feedback on them? How do they compare to the RRS lever clamps (which I had intended to use)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They have indicated that they can do the work - I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

By the way, they have suggested fitting a Novoflex clamp (as it is what they stock). I have no experience of them. Can anyone provide any feedback on them? How do they compare to the RRS lever clamps (which I had intended to use)?

I have quite a collection of tripod heads, sane people would say, way tooooo many. Insane people would say tooooo many.

I have used Novoflex for years, the Classic Ballheads, with their clamp, I am very happy with them ,and like the Classic ball 3 better than the RRS 40. (actually just retired it to Miami in favor of the AS P0 - which is great)

If they have the Novoflex Q-Base Arca-Type Auto-Locking Quick Release, it works just fine, although the little pin will get lost or break at some point, which does not affect the clamp at all. One point to mention on this clamp is the hole to attach it to the tripod is not "on center" with the "center" of the clamp, but is on center with the plate. The other clamps I believe do not have a lever option, only screw type.

Their mini clamp is not one I would recommend but their others are very well made.

Hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Once you get the thread-locked AS clamp off of your Cube, you can attach the clamp that you want. I would not be in a rush and put on a Novoflex clamp if not personally experienced with the exact clamp model (unless you like collecting clamps in the studio drawer). Make sure it is a clamp that you really like personally.

I don't mind the AS clamp on my Cube, and have swapped it out on a whim at times with a RRS clamp. Aside from the quality point of RRS, I stay with RRS clamps/locks/levers because I want to have the "same standard" across all my gear. Some quick release plates (albeit AS style) are not exactly the same measurement and this can effect the ability of the clamp to lock down securely. The stock AS clamp can be adjusted to fit.

Since I have RRS L-brackets on my Phase DF and Canon DSLR, and a RRS plate on my Cambo, using RRS gear makes it an easy choice.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've been through the gambit with clamps on my Cube. Started with the factory A/S adjustable QR, then went to RRS screw, the RRS QR, and now am back to the A/S Adjustable QR. (The last RRS QR I tried was NOT adjustable and only locked securely with their rails. Their rails are NOT made to the A/S standard, but slightly larger, so many aftermarket A/S rails won't tighten fully in a RRS QR clamp. Since I also like Wimberley rails, and there is variation in the A/S rail standard among 3rd party manufacturers, an adjustable clamp is a must.)

The key for me returning to the original factory A/S QR clamp was two-fold: first was reversing the clamp so I pulled the lever toward me to open it instead of pushing it away -- sounds trivial, but made a world of difference in use, I can now operate it totally blind with confidence and operating the ribbed bar inside the lever to open it fully is now very easy since you are pulling it toward you. (I realized it was designed to use this way after I did it, but never dawned on me before that. A/S does themselves no favors by not offering instructions.) Second was filing a small 'flat' on the A/S lever at the mid opening point. (The lever is Delrin or similar and files easily with a diamond fingernail file.) This flat relaxes the clamp a little extra at the mid point so it opens a little wider there, allowing bars to slide easily without coming out. Secondarily the flat provides a resting spot for the lever at the mid point.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

i will go for the arca classic clamp like on this D4…

Post Thanks / Like

Wow - great input guys. I am blown away by it as usual!

Jack - before my mishap, I had been using the clamp the way around you now have yours and just didn't get on very well with it (though I didn't have your modification of course).

I have some thinking to do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would add I am very happy with AS clamps, the flip lock on the cube and the screw on the A0 - I don't understand why some people dislike them so much.

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Phil,

I guess it's a personal thing. I don't like the way that the clamp requires the use of the ribbed bar inside the lever (just doesn't suit my fingers very well). I also find that a certain % of the time, it jams shut and, even though advice gained in response to an earlier question has given me a partial solution (i.e. squeezing the clamp manually before trying to release the clamp), that doesn't work all the time - so sometimes I just can't release the clamp for a while. In fast changing conditions, that is a real nuisance. All told, I have been able to work with it, but it has never given me joy. By contrast, the clamps on my RRS accessories all work flawlessly and in a way that I find very straightforward.

It's a personal thing, and YMMV, so I am not castigating the AS clamp generally - just saying it doesn't work well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quick interim update: Mainline in Sydney have my Cube in their mitts and have indicated that they can do the job, charging only for the time spent actually do it. They have done this before apparently, so don't see any great difficulty; even more amazingly, it seems that the technician previously worked for Arca Swiss, which is jolly handy. In the meantime, I have decided to order a RRS lever-release clamp because I have used them successfully in the past (on my pano head for example), so at least I will be using a tried & tested solution.

I'll update again once the job is complete and I have the components back in my hands.

Thanks again everyone for your advice. Hopefully I will be reporting back on a very successful solution for all those people who want to change the clamp on their Cubes.

Post Thanks / Like

Once the attachment bolt is removed, the Arca Swiss Factory Clamp can be removed from the Cube and you be able to note the details of the mounting. As I recall, my Cube used a small lip that fit into a mating slot on the RRS B2 AS II or B2-40-LR Clamps (non-threaded centered hole). The lip prevented rotation of the clamp. A metric flathead bolt (M6-1.0) was used to attach the clamp to the Cube. You should verify that your newer Cube has the same mounting geometry before ordering the RRS Clamp. The D4 Head is different from the Cube in that it does not use a locking lip. As you have read on this forum, there is a range of opinion associated with the Arca Clamps. I have found the Arca Clamps to be much more forgiving under studio conditions than in the field. For my hands, the knob on the Arca screw clamp is too small for gripping with gloves. Similarly operation of the Arca lever clamp was also a challenge when wearing gloves. Both the RRS screw and lever clamps were major improvments for me and justified the cost and frustration of installation.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quick update for everyone. I have my Cube back from Mainline with the original clamp successfully removed (I definitely have the latest version - it look a lot of heat!). They have attached a RRS clamp and I am a very happy boy. Not only that, but they apparently did a great job at a very reasonable price. Happy to post images if anyone wants to see a Cube with the RRS clamp (and happy not to if that is of no interest to anyone :-) ).

Thanks again to everyone above who contributed useful advice. You guys are great!

Ed
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Happy to post images if anyone wants to see a Cube with the RRS clamp (and happy not to if that is of no interest to anyone :-) ).

Ed
    I for one would like to see those pics Ed.

Still hope to get a Cube someday myself.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Ed, Best part is that you now have the flexibility to swap out clamps as you desire. I've gone back and forth with the standard Cube AS clamp to RRS and back.

I'd much rather be able to decide which clamp I want to use on my Cube. Quite honestly, they all work great---but the point is that it is a personal, subjective decision, and I like having that flexibility. Bad decision on AS to use that level of loctite on the threads, imo.

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Here you go Gary:

[IMG]
    _MG_0115 by Ed Hurst, Spiffing Pics (110k+ views - thanks!), on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    _MG_0117 by Ed Hurst, Spiffing Pics (110k+ views - thanks!), on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    _MG_0118 by Ed Hurst, Spiffing Pics (110k+ views - thanks!), on Flickr[/IMG]

Works fine and fits all my plates/bars very well - so the lack of tightness/tension adjustment on this clamp seems not to be a problem (though all of my stuff is RRS stuff, so YMMV). One thing to mention: the RRS clamp does not have the holes in the bottom for the pins in the Cube to slot into; in fact there is a void where such holes would be, so the pins are not doing anything. Mainline, when they fitted the clamp, attached some rubber between the head and the clamp as a sort of washer, so it seems very tight, but at some stage, this might prove to be an added reason to make sure the clamp remains tightly attached. I don't expect it to be a problem, but something to watch, especially if heavy loads are being carried frequently by the head. Mainline said that they could attach fillers into those voids in the base of the RRS clamp with holes drilled in them so that the pins end up doing something. I will consider that if it proves necessary over time...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Ed, Best part is that you now have the flexibility to swap out clamps as you desire. I've gone back and forth with the standard Cube AS clamp to RRS and back.

I'd much rather be able to decide which clamp I want to use on my Cube. Quite honestly, they all work great---but the point is that it is a personal, subjective decision, and I like having that flexibility. Bad decision on AS to use that level of loctite on the threads, imo.

ken
    Absolutely Ken! I love having that flexibility now :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hello Ed

Can you please give the exact RRS order number of that QR ?
    Is it B2 40 LR ?
    I wonder , if I could rework that QR to take AS plates .
    I love that big lever and I already use RRS QR between tripod and cube for fast removal .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Here you go Jurgen:

B2 AS II Quick-Release Clamp

Post Thanks / Like

Please note the following text on this entry - might be of interest:

"NOTE: Starting in 2012, the Really Right Stuff B2 AS II clamp automatically adjusts to accept all Arca-Swiss style plates except Arca-Swiss P0 Slidefix plates and plates made by Novoflex. Choose a screw-knob clamp if you have Novoflex plates."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Please note the following text on this entry - might be of interest:

"NOTE: Starting in 2012, the Really Right Stuff B2 AS II clamp automatically adjusts to accept all Arca-Swiss style plates except Arca-Swiss P0 Slidefix plates and plates made by Novoflex. Choose a screw-knob clamp if you have Novoflex plates."
    I have been using this clamp for some time and I find that it works very well covering the size difference between arca and rrs plates.
    -bob
    www.getdpi.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Ed and Bob .

I think , I should give that a try . Its not that I dislike the original AS lever clamp but I think that big lever clamp might be handier and I do not want to replace all my ARCA QR-PLATES .
    My CUBE is one of the very first serie and I can see , that there is a big hexagonal screw , which holds the clamp .
    Does anyone know , if this can easily be removed ? Did anyone already do that ?
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    My CUBE is one of the very first serie and I can see , that there is a big hexagonal screw , which holds the clamp .
    Does anyone know , if this can easily be removed ? Did anyone already do that ?
    No problem with the old version, it's done in a minute.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cly View Post
    No problem with the old version, it's done in a minute.

Chris
    Wrong . 35 seconds .
    So I will give the RRS B2 AS II clamp a try and adapt the AS clamp to an older AS ballhead .
    Regards . Jürgen .