Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hasselblad CMOS 50 announced

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad CMOS 50 announced

Phase will have the uber camera at photokina!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rsmphoto View Post
    Maybe by then they will have worked out those issues. I guess those of us who own an M will know first hand as the firmware updates continue to arrive....and maybe they'll lower the price point again. $17k? One can dream!
    With 35mm climbing up their backside, it better be something to make it stand out. The S lenses outstrip the sensor as it is, so there is a lot of room for jacking up the resolution and multipoint AF would be welcome.

$17K is a cotton candy wish and a unicorn dream from Leica Leica is terminally allergic to anything reasonably priced. They move to a different financial drum beat, and folks keep marching to that beat.

IMO, they kept the price down on the new S because it really wasn't that big of an improvement over the S2 but if they manage a new 50+ meg CMOS S with Live View (at least on the LCD) I seriously doubt it'll dip below $25K.

Meanwhile the drum beat is picking up elsewhere.

Interesting times.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting news indeed - live-view with Phocus (still Firewire, or USB3 too I wonder? - in-back would be nicer still...), multi-shot capability too, higher ISOs, longer shutter speeds.... it all sounds very enticing. I love the 50 back on my Hasselblad, and the camera/lenses, so the CMOS chip will be very tempting especially if it works well on tech cams (miss my Ebony 45SU's movements and seeing it happen).

Only problem is I'm still paying for my H3D-II 50, I can see why this is Dante's realm!

Henry

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad and Phase can go to high ISO capable CMOS sensors all they want, but their cameras, the way they're built now, are never going to be workable solutions for day-long handheld available light photography. Here the DSLR form factor of the Leica S has the advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post

IMO, they kept the price down on the new S because it really wasn't that big of an improvement over the S2 … but if they manage a new 50+ meg CMOS S with Live View (at least on the LCD) I seriously doubt it'll dip below $25K.

- Marc
    I agree, the difference between the S/S2 was not such a big deal IQ-wise, but a CMOS S with usable 1600 -3200 ISO, 2-3 fps and an extra few accurate AF points would surely make other photographers take notice. Provided color stays as good as it is now.
    Last edited by peterv; 22nd January 2014 at 09:25. Reason: Typo

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I think I can make a prediction about the Pnetax 645DII. It will have a 50MP CMOS sensor, but a cheaper one than both Hasselblad and Phase...

Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pricing of this will almost be as interesting as the tech specs. A lot of people thought that the D800E pricing didn't justify the cost of an IQ180 but not myself. 80MPs gives you a lot to work with. I am finding that being able to crop and still have a large file is one of the biggest advantages of 80MPs. 50MPs versus the recent 36MP cameras is a tough sale no matter how you look at it without some awesome features. I am hoping that the dynamic range is just incredible among other things.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

probably won't happen, be nice to be able to use Capture One instead of Phocus

Post Thanks / Like

Graham,
    I am in total agreement with you. I always preferred the H4D body. I just wish Hasselblad had kept the system open and allowed you to use a PhaseOne back.
    All the best,
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    No religion from my side. If it takes Sony throwing their hat in the ring with a partner like Hasselblad then it's good all ways around. Heck, my favourite long term camera is an XPan II (I've had three and I'm not selling again!) and that was produced by Fuji but in conjunction with Hasselblad. Ditto the Zeiss and Fuji glass they use. If it works I think all of us will embrace it.

I just want to see a real camera with a real sensor with real software before declaring it nirvana. I'm sure that the Lunar/Stellar was a well intentioned part of the Sony partnership (and Hasselblad cash cow) but it really hurt Hasselblad's credibility IMHO.

(Btw, lest anyone think that I'm an H hater, I would FAR FAR rather gone with an H system for my Phase One backs than the Phamiya DF/DF+. In so many ways it's a better DSLR IMHO)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nikonf View Post
    Graham,
    I am in total agreement with you. I always preferred the H4D body. I just wish Hasselblad had kept the system open and allowed you to use a PhaseOne back.
    All the best,
    Mike
    Strange. Are you not aware that there are many photographers quite capably still using H1,H2 and H4X bodies with phase one backs?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Strange. Are you not aware that there are many photographers quite capably still using H1,H2 and H4X bodies with phase one backs?
    Not only that, even an old H1 is still a much better camera than the DF.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From rumors, it appears that Hasselblad made announcement of an announcement which will happen in March. However Phase One will show a working model on Friday, 01/24!

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by subrata1965 View Post
    From rumors, it appears that Hasselblad made announcement of an announcement which will happen in March. However Phase One will show a working model on Friday, 01/24!
    Howard will be along to put a positive Hasselblad spin on this in a sec ...

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    But nothing contemporary such as H3 or H4 (without a trade in) ...
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If Hasselblad sold a H4x and H5x without the requirement of a trade in that would sell more glass...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

OK, the Phase fanboys are about to come out of the woodwork in force. In contrast to others (you KNOW who you are), I am not sitting on the sidelines rooting for one side or another like it's a football game. I am completely brand agnostic. I actually use a Phase One back and quite like it. I also use a Hasselblad H1 camera with it because I find the Phamiya to be an abomination and I want to be able to use leaf shutter lenses that really function as leaf shutter lenses without also triggering a focal plane shutter. I will buy whatever fits my needs best, regardless of whose name is on the box.
    If anyone really wanted to buy a Hasselblad H4X, I am absolutely sure he would be able to figure out how to do it. In terms of life's challenges, that is not really up there. However, if you do need help, call Steve Hendrix at Capture Integration. They are also brand agnostic and sell everything.
    Last edited by hcubell; 23rd January 2014 at 06:41.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com

Post Thanks / Like

I hope it's not a repeat where venerable H tried to steal thunder from Phase One's release of the P65+ by making an announcement of their 60MP MFDB which then failed to make an appearance for over a year. Or vice versa.

Quite frankly, I'm more like Graham in a wait and see mode and I'm not as excited over CMOS as others are. I'll wait for the actual working models to get in the hands of photographers. Hey, Graham, two questions: will this be your third MFDB in the Land Rover, and will Dave be delivering the IQ250 to you at CI in Carmel?

I don't think the "live view" potential of a CMOS sensor is going to be this panacea that so many think it will be. Tethered live view---yes, great on a big monitor. But I don't see how the physical limitation of viewing on a relatively small MFDB screen can be overcome. Live View will probably be better but it is still limited by a small screen on either Phase or Hassy MFDBs. And old eyes (the one's who generally can better afford the latest MFDB) aren't getting any better.

The IQ series screens are still the best in the business. And it wasn't so long ago that everyone was clambering to get one. And as is typical in this new technological age, we've become spoiled into expecting more and more and quick to criticize that which was the cat's meow only a year or two prior. I'm sure that Hassy will offer improved screens as well. But both face the same physical limitations outside of tethering to a larger monitor.

Kudos to Hasselblad and Phase for new offerings in medium format digital. But I'd be much more excited about the release of a new Phase Body than a new CMOS MFDB.

ken

p.s. I think Howard is right about the H4x. It probably is the "best" platform. But for those already invested with glass, you're left with the same dilemma as those that jump from Canon to Nikon. All that glass. So we wait...and wait. Photokinia anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Read again. I think they announced that they would be shipping the new camera in March. Before anyone decides how these new CMOS backs stack up, I would suggest getting the full working specs and trying both of them. That's what I would do, but I am brand agnostic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    ken

p.s. I think Howard is right about the H4x. It probably is the "best" platform. But for those already invested with glass, you're left with the same dilemma as those that jump from Canon to Nikon. All that glass. So we wait...and wait. Photokinia anyone?
    I am also looking forward to the new Phase body. I expect that it will be very well designed. My big concern is whether they will figure out a way to let the leaf shutter lenses work without still triggering the focal plane shutter. I suppose they could release a version without a focal plane shutter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's tricky the way the anno was worded as the first paragraph state "will go on sale" in March, but the last line of the anno state, more info on prices will be available.

You have to wonder if on-sale means ability to order, with lead times of 3 to 4 months?

Not in the market so not that concerned. Only Hassy and few closest customers know for sure.

Paul

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ken:

have you tried the focus with mag feature on the sony and olympus cameras? it is quite confidence building; seems like sony could implement that here as well. not sure how good the LCD is on the blads, of course

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    ken:

have you tried the focus with mag feature on the sony and olympus cameras? it is quite confidence building; seems like sony could implement that here as well. not sure how good the LCD is on the blads, of course
    I agree. I have the Sony A7R as well, and the focusing aids are really amazing. For landscape/tripod work, IMO, it is the best. I have been naively assuming that Phase and/or Hasselblad could implement that when they released a CMOS back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    ken:

Only tried it for a few fleeting seconds, and that would be a good feature for many, but my tired eyes still like a larger screen. Btw, I may have worked out a great set-up with the Surface Pro 2 tethered. Ready before CI in Carmel if you sneak out to the west coast!

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    It's tricky the way the anno was worded as the first paragraph state "will go on sale" in March, but the last line of the anno state, more info on prices will be available.

Paul
    They probably want to wait on pricing to see where Phase goes with its pricing. Smart move.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    If any of the cryptic rumors are true, the sensor is a new type of CMOS invented by Sony. We'll see.

Also, on the Hasselblad news release site, there was a photo of a H camera with the headline "The Rumors Are True" the camera looks like it is all black but it's difficult to tell from the lighting.

That the new camera will also be offered in Multi-Shot is also quite interesting.

- Marc
    I hope it's not black. It will look like any other camera. In person the H5D is a thing of beauty. People like Seymour Cray understood that perfectly. But it will not be a defining point for me I am not a little kid (already loosing hair).

It's surprising the low resolution. If they have used the same technology on the
    D800 the resolution will be 72Mpixels ( I guess the chip is 48mm x 36mm or so).

It could be that the new sensor center is per pixel dynamic range and high iso. That is an interesting proposal, not from the marketing perspective (they should rock DxO mark) but from a practical stance, since most of the MF shooters that do not care about lower resolution control the light fully.
    Hasselblad do have MS for product and architecture but it's not practical for
    landscape.

Let wait and see. They say is going on sale on March. That will be great and could be a reason for ant possible limits in live-view.

Phase one have been very good in restricting Hasselblad access to sensors. They control the blogosphere and the sensor pipeline. This dampers Hasselblad grow potential.

With a level field in terms of sensors, we will stop having a situation of "burro amarrado contra tigre suelto" as we say in spanish.

Notice the PhaseOne do have access to a 50mpixel CMOS new sensor (I guess it's the same).

I hope we get a more dynamic MF space now.

Best regards,

J. Duncan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very keen to see what both Phase One and Hasselblad actually deliver with this new sensor. I'm not in the market for a new back at the moment but a new round of bodies could be of interest and especially if Phase One can deliver a DSLR with some semblance of modern technology and real leaf shutter support to partially catch up with Hasselblad. (Trust me, if I weren't so invested in Phase One lenses I'd have moved to the H system a while ago).

This new sensor really only appeals to me if it supports technical camera use and live view with sufficient quality to focus and adjust tilt/swing untethered in the field. I can however see how it would appeal a lot more to folks needing a more 'dynamic' camera for other uses.

Regarding availability, I always trust in the phrase "When the platinum card drops, the bullshit stops". If they won't take your firm order with a guaranteed delivery date then it's not available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"When the platinum card drops, the bullshit stops"
    Excellent quote

Ohh, regarding a new round of bodies: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-f...w-p1-body.html

Peter
    Peter
    My website

Post Thanks / Like

Regarding availability, I always trust in the phrase "When the platinum card drops, the bullshit stops". If they won't take your firm order with a guaranteed delivery date then it's not available.
    Or, it's vaporware until the rear hatch of Graham's Land Rover opens up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, the cat's out of the bag today. The LuLa live view video certainly looked about 1000% better than the current fuzzy live view.

Now to see what the Hasselblad version looks like ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Well, I think I can make a prediction about the Pnetax 645DII. It will have a 50MP CMOS sensor, but a cheaper one than both Hasselblad and Phase...

You're absolutely right about that!

Now that the veils have all dropped on the Phase IQ250 and we have some idea of whats really under the hood, I figure that the main customer for this sensor will be Pentax; and that Pentax probably drove its development with Sony, with Phase One and Hasselblad anxiously looking over their shoulder. The 44x33 mm size has pedigree in all three systems, but Pentax are much more hardwired to it than the other two, and they sell far more units of that size.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ondebanks View Post

Now that the veils have all dropped on the Phase IQ250 and we have some idea of whats really under the hood, I figure that the main customer for this sensor will be Pentax; and that Pentax probably drove its development with Sony, with Phase One and Hasselblad anxiously looking over their shoulder. The 44x33 mm size has pedigree in all three systems, but Pentax are much more hardwired to it than the other two, and they sell far more units of that size.

Ray
    I Wonder if the Leica S can take this sensor.. width is less than current sensor but hight is more by 3mm..

It will be really interesting to compare the files to CCD raws..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ondebanks View Post

Ray
    Totally agree.
    Hasselblad will be putting the sensor in multi shot digital cameras, this will allow them to compite in rational terms even if Pentax and Leica enter the market (cmos medium format) . Now multi shot capabilities are not for all situations. The questions are:

1. Are bigger sensors coming ? (I was hopping a 48 x 36 mm )
    2. Will the next generation High resolution cameras from Nikon, Canon and Sony compite?

Best regards,
    J. Duncan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jduncan View Post
    Totally agree.
    Hasselblad will be putting the sensor in multi shot digital cameras, this will allow them to compite in rational terms even if Pentax and Leica enter the market (cmos medium format) . Now multi shot capabilities are not for all situations. The questions are:

1. Are bigger sensors coming ? (I was hopping a 48 x 36 mm )
    2. Will the next generation High resolution cameras from Nikon, Canon and Sony compite?

Best regards,
    J. Duncan
    Will Sony release a really small body with this chip ands Zeiss glass in the future..??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RVB View Post
    Will Sony release a really small body with this chip ands Zeiss glass in the future..??
    That would be a logical next step for them, I agree. The thing is that they will probably be quite busy developing the 15 FF E-mount lenses they have on their roadmap. And then there's A-mount, which they said they were not going to abandon, and I guess there'll be new RX cameras coming.

So adding an MF line might be a bit too much, but then again, it's Sony and they've been known the last couple of years to come up with quite a few surprises.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peterv View Post
    That would be a logical next step for them, I agree. The thing is that they will probably be quite busy developing the 15 FF E-mount lenses they have on their roadmap. And then there's A-mount, which they said they were not going to abandon, and I guess there'll be new RX cameras coming.

So adding an MF line might be a bit too much, but then again, it's Sony and they've been known the last couple of years to come up with quite a few surprises.
    I was just wondering about this and mentioned it on another forum. Since the common sensor steppers can do 26mmx33mm (I believe that is still the case,) and it already takes a stitch to make a 24x36 sensor, would it really be THAT much more to make a 33x44 chip, since it is still only a single stitch?

It should be interesting if Sony decided to take this 33x44 sensor and throw it into a simple camera body with a highly adaptable mount that allows just about any medium format lens (using manual focus.)

Post Thanks / Like

Great question, Douglas. The guys over at LuLa are wondering about that too. Especially why they (Sony, Phase) didn't go straight for a stitched D800E/A7R sensor. Perhaps fabrication difficulties, but then again maybe it's just marketing. Make 'm buy the 33 x 44 mm 50 MP now, have 'm upgrade to a 'FF' 75 MP next year.

A super sized A7 that would, with adapters, take Contax, Leica, Phamiya, Pentax, Hasselblad and all forms of medium format lenses would be nice, preferably with AF and fully functional aperture, etc. If Leica can reverse engineer the protocols, surely Sony can too.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peterv View Post
    A super sized A7 that would, with adapters, take Contax, Leica, Phamiya, Pentax, Hasselblad and all forms of medium format lenses would be nice, preferably with AF and fully functional aperture, etc. If Leica can reverse engineer the protocols, surely Sony can too.
    Sony isn't exactly famous for adapting standards from others. Rather the opposite, actually: They often create their own, hoping that others will follow, something that others have been reluctant to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Sony isn't exactly famous for adapting standards from others. Rather the opposite, actually: They often create their own, hoping that others will follow, something that others have been reluctant to do.
    Yeah, I could see it going either way. They definitely promote the heck out of the e-mount adaptability. I thinking Sony Australia was even giving away Novoflex adapters with A7/R cameras, in the beginning.

Post Thanks / Like

I just hope that Hasselblad implements the sensor in a different way to Phase, so that it is optimised to work with Tech cameras or forgoes higher ISOs for better base ISO performance. I guess that could mean getting rid of micro lenses and speccing a different CFA? I don't know and I can't afford either, but it's fun to watch from the sidelines!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    I just hope that Hasselblad implements the sensor in a different way to Phase, so that it is optimised to work with Tech cameras or forgoes higher ISOs for better base ISO performance. I guess that could mean getting rid of micro lenses and speccing a different CFA? I don't know and I can't afford either, but it's fun to watch from the sidelines!
    To be honest, this sounds like the exact opposite of how Hasselblad normally optimize their digital backs. They are designed and optimized for use with the H body and I would wager that it is HIGHLY unlikely they'd compromise that by optimizing the back for technical cameras (which let's face it, they don't sell or historically have cared too much about).

Post Thanks / Like

Integrated H camera body.

If venerable H really wants to make a difference, offer live view through the viewfinder too.

ken

p.s. I sense that the most innovative products are where the back maker is more vested in the design of the chip (e.g., Phase with Dalsa and P65+). I just don't see this with the current round of Sony chips sold to Phase and Hasselblad. It's like there is a bit of disconnect going on. Good, but could be better in the implementation (at least on paper).

Post Thanks / Like

It might not be Hasselblad's historic take, and I'm not really suggesting they design their back for tech cameras specifically, I guess I'm just holding out hope they have chosen cover glass or CFA options that optimise performance at base ISO. Like Leica who invested in the development of special cover glass and filter arrays for the S and M cameras, I'd love to think Hasselblad had the means to do the same.

I live in hope, is all!

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest, this sounds like the exact opposite of how Hasselblad normally optimize their digital backs. They are designed and optimized for use with the H body and I would wager that it is HIGHLY unlikely they'd compromise that by optimizing the back for technical cameras (which let's face it, they don't sell or historically have cared too much about).
    Phase is *almost* as bad as Hasselblad when it comes to ignoring tech cameras. I mean they release this "well-tested" IQ250 and they don't have ready answers for how it works on tech cams. Despite that live view can be a real game changer in tech cam space by making view cameras usable again for ground glass allergics

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would venture to say the tech camera part will be offered...if not well disappointing. But more importantly a way to see what the back sees on a very large monitor would be fine with me. I don't care about 800 iso or FPS. Now 1/1600 of a sec sync is another story as is a tilting screen and other improvement to make shooting easier.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hasselblad does not make tech cameras. Why would they care if their back is optimized for products they don't sell nor support?

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, a digiback is the piece of kit with the biggest margin for the manufacturer, isn't it? That's pretty much why Hasselblad closed it's system, because there were way more H bodies and lenses selling w/o their backs, than w/ their backs.
    Well, their plan didn't work out, IMO. Phase/Mamiya are still alive.

If they would open up their system again, well...
    What do you guys think, will happen?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hasselblad did not close their system to eliminate their competitions. They did it so they can support their business. If the closed system is making them more money than when it was open, then there is no point in changing. This is simple economics.
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Generally speaking, a company that makes money can support their customers better than one that goes bankrupt. A reason to "close" their system (it was always closed, BTW) could simply be a better way to make better products.

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean with, it was always closed?
    They didn't even had a digiback at their H1 launch, just film.
    After they were able to offer their own backs, they came up with the closed H3.

That's already a few years back, and i could just be wrong.
    But i'm pretty sure that i'm not!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pretty sure that they closed their H3 to help protect their MFDB business and not for real technical reasons. The shame is that some of us would have bought in to the H system at that time but instead were basically left to either go with an older version or system with questionable support or go Phamiya.

Obviously this was all for commercial reasons and Will may be correct that Hasselblad felt that this would keep them viable but I'd wager that they'd have been better served selling more bodies and lenses and not encouraging Phase One to buy in to Mamiya and teaming with Schneider to assist with lenses.

My $0.02 as a thwarted H buyer a few years back.

Post Thanks / Like

Why should Hasselblad think about improving support for cameras they don't sell, i.e. tech cameras? Well, they did after all implement an external battery option with the H5D for shooting with one. Also, wouldn't it be a good selling point? A back that can be used on arguably the best MF platform (H) and is tweaked for great results with technical movements would surely put it ahead of the competition, who is clearly not thinking about this niche segment that finds a home at GetDPI!

Again, all I'm saying is that I live in hope. As a technical camera shooter, I live in hope...