The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CMOS 50 announced

torger

I'm convinced tech camera has a substantial growth potential, mainly in the amateur space. What's the coolest way to shoot landscape? Tech camera of course! Phase One's $35K for a back is still too expensive to unlock the true potential of the market though. There will still be amateurs that can afford it, but the lower the price the more can.

As far as I know one can't buy only the back from Hasselblad (except CFV-50 which I guess will be discontinued soon), which otherwise would be a considerably cheaper back than Phase One's.

So I think there are reasons both Phase One and Hasselblad should care more about tech cameras than they do.

Hasselblad has arguably the better camera and the worse backs. They get more backs sold thanks to selling it together with the camera.

RVB

The latest version of Phocus was just released with these features.

Phocus 2.8 Mac
This is a feature release that also incorporates a number of improvements and fixed

New features

Capture Sequencer

This new tool enables various kind of tethered capture automation like interval capture, self timer and exposure bracketing.

Landscape compare mode

In addition to the existing side-by-side comparison, you can now switch to a mode that works better for images in landscape format.

Hasselblad L* working space

The Reproduction tool will now let you select a new Hasselblad L* working space as an alternative to Hasselblad RGB.

Eizo Monitor Support

For the self calibrating Eizo monitors Phocus will offer you the opportunity of setting up and executing display calibration using parameters that are optimal for viewing images in Phocus.

pedro39photo

This prices of the next Hassy and Phase 50MP Cmos its just stupid...

The only two DMF brands are killing this segment with hardcore por* prices, 35.000$ / 45.000$ for a sistem with a few lens in today profissional photo market?
35.000$ for a tuned Mamiya 645 10years/fuji gx645 old body and a larger 35mm format sensor with 1.3 crop? my good this medium are mad or what???

Don´t the people see that this p**n prices are reducing the users of this systems just to few top photographer and rich amateurs?
Where is a enter level system DMF 28MP/33MP full frame for 5000/7000$ Huh THAT ITS WHAT BRINGS NEW USER TO THE MEDIUM FORMAT
The biggest advantage of the Medium Format its the large viewfinder and the DOF, i was a Hassy H3D39II user, and sold it and bought a Mamiya ZD DSLR just because i love MF DOF and Viewfinder, not megapixeis.... stop the megapixeis war, por* prices and think about bring new user again to the MF

In my country Portugal, in 2 or 3 years i saw great number of profissional photographers leaving DMF for the D800

Its sad, very sad...

Last edited:

Giorgio

This prices of the next Hassy and Phase 50MP Cmos its just stupid...

The only two DMF brands are killing this segment with hardcore por* prices, 35.000$ / 45.000$ for a sistem with a few lens in today profissional photo market?
35.000$ for a tuned Mamiya 645 10years/fuji gx645 old body and a larger 35mm format sensor with 1.3 crop? my good this medium are mad or what???

Don´t the people see that this p**n prices are reducing the users of this systems just to few top photographer and rich amateurs?
Where is a enter level system DMF 28MP/33MP full frame for 5000/7000$ Huh THAT ITS WHAT BRINGS NEW USER TO THE MEDIUM FORMAT
The biggest advantage of the Medium Format its the large viewfinder and the DOF, i was a Hassy H3D39II user, and sold it and bought a Mamiya ZD DSLR just because i love MF DOF and Viewfinder, not megapixeis.... stop the megapixeis war, por* prices and think about bring new user again to the MF

In my country Portugal, in 2 or 3 years i saw great number of profissional photographers leaving DMF for the D800

Its sad, very sad...
Hey Pedro,

This is off topic but I just had to let you know what I am thinking.

I am also a long time DMF user and continue to use my gear, but I have also gone back to the future.

I am using film again, whenever possible. In using film I can change sensors as easily as I change a roll or sheet and I get what I want.

Seriously, film is an option, and suddenly processing cost looks like a bargain.

OK, back to the next GREATEST new camera...

Poul

"According to the details provided by the manufacturer at its CP+ 2014 booth, the H5D-50c will be released in March, bearing a price tag of 2.6 million yen / $25,500 / €18,700, significantly cheaper than its direct competition, the recently launched Phase One IQ250, which is priced at $34,990 / €24,990."

Hasselblad H5D-50c and A-mount HV Spotted at CP 2014

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I would think that at $25k there would be more interest amongst existing H users to upgrade than perhaps the Phase One gouging, err I mean pricing.

jduncan

"According to the details provided by the manufacturer at its CP+ 2014 booth, the H5D-50c will be released in March, bearing a price tag of 2.6 million yen / $25,500 / €18,700, significantly cheaper than its direct competition, the recently launched Phase One IQ250, which is priced at $34,990 / €24,990."

Hasselblad H5D-50c and A-mount HV Spotted at CP 2014
Hi, yes,
but if lacks the live view and other characteristics (like fast connections) of the Phase One it really not an apple to apple comparison.
Let wait and see.

If I were hasselblad I will release the multi shot at that price and let the competency either die or deal with it.

I know it will not going to happen, but one can dream.

Best regards,

J. Duncan

stngoldberg

Re: Hasselblad CMOS 50 announce

Meaning no disrespect, I call in to question your dream pertaining to Hasselblad
Stanley

tjv

Lets say the new 50c has the same screen as the standard 50, and doesn't have in back live view. Lets also assume that image quality differences are the same as comparing the Phase IQ160 Vs. the H5d-60 Vs. the Credo 60.

Personally, I think the H is a far, far better camera than the DF+, and I prefer leaf shutter lenses firing without an FPS causing extra vibrations (which, as I understand it, is how the DF+ operates when using the Schneider lenses? Correct me if I'm wrong…). I also prefer the H viewfinder.

Now, if I weren't a tech camera shooter, I'd think I'd rather save 10K and get the 'Blad over the Phase, but only if prior investment in lenses and system accessories wasn't an issue.

Of course, this is only my personal opinion and the proof will be in the pudding. Lets wait for an official announcement and for the actual products to ship.

Hi, yes,
but if lacks the live view and other characteristics (like fast connections) of the Phase One it really not an apple to apple comparison.
Let wait and see.

If I were hasselblad I will release the multi shot at that price and let the competency either die or deal with it.

I know it will not going to happen, but one can dream.

Best regards,

J. Duncan

fotografz

I would think that at $25k there would be more interest amongst existing H users to upgrade than perhaps the Phase One gouging, err I mean pricing.
I think that may depend on a few additional factors.

There is no mention of a battery solution for the H5D/50c like there is "supposed" to be for the H5D/60. This omission (if true) makes it semi-useless for field/tech camera shooters that would benefit the most from live view. Phase One continues to own this area of DB use.

As I understand it, live view won't be implemented at launch … owners will have to wait for an update … which Hasselblad has be notoriously slow in doing … and in the case of the battery solution for the H4D/60, never materialized … which pissed me off no end.

How many current owners will move to the H5D/50c may well depend on whether Hasselblad implements a trade policy like in past. Typically, these trade programs favored trading older models, so moving from older H3D/31 and H3D/39s was a more attractive proposition than trading a more current model.

All that said, IF I were still working with the Hasselblad system where I usually had two cameras (like a H4D/40 and H4D/60) … I would now be shooting the H5D/50c in place of the 40, and a H5D/50 Multi-Shot in place of the 60 for studio work.

Those days are now past.

- Marc

torger

When tech cameras are used in the field it's often about wide angles, and from what I've seen so far I don't think the IQ250 is that useful, too much color cast and pixel crosstalk. I think we need a different type of CMOS sensor for that.

In the studio for products longer lenses are used and most shoot thethered, and I'd guess that the H5D-50c live view on the desktop would be fine there. So in practice it might not be that much worse than the IQ250.

Live view directly in the back is indeed a desirable feature, but those that need it the most -- field tech cam users -- need it to play well with wide angles, and it doesn't seem to do that. So it's not the type of game-changer it could have been, but combine it with wider angular response and make it larger and we indeed have one.

stngoldberg

I think that may depend on a few additional factors.

There is no mention of a battery solution for the H5D/50c like there is "supposed" to be for the H5D/60. This omission (if true) makes it semi-useless for field/tech camera shooters that would benefit the most from live view. Phase One continues to own this area of DB use.

As I understand it, live view won't be implemented at launch … owners will have to wait for an update … which Hasselblad has be notoriously slow in doing … and in the case of the battery solution for the H4D/60, never materialized … which pissed me off no end.

How many current owners will move to the H5D/50c may well depend on whether Hasselblad implements a trade policy like in past. Typically, these trade programs favored trading older models, so moving from older H3D/31 and H3D/39s was a more attractive proposition than trading a more current model.

All that said, IF I were still working with the Hasselblad system where I usually had two cameras (like a H4D/40 and H4D/60) … I would now be shooting the H5D/50c in place of the 40, and a H5D/50 Multi-Shot in place of the 60 for studio work.

Those days are now past.

- Marc
Marc,
As a frequent visitor to this forum, I know that you are extremely well educated on the Hasselblad system. I respectfully point out that on my H5D50 there is a battery solution. The battery clips on to the base of the back-it is a standard rechargeable sony battery which powers the back for quite some time,--the battery is inexpensive and easily obtainable.

Stanley

jduncan

Lets say the new 50c has the same screen as the standard 50, and doesn't have in back live view. Lets also assume that image quality differences are the same as comparing the Phase IQ160 Vs. the H5d-60 Vs. the Credo 60.

Personally, I think the H is a far, far better camera than the DF+, and I prefer leaf shutter lenses firing without an FPS causing extra vibrations (which, as I understand it, is how the DF+ operates when using the Schneider lenses? Correct me if I'm wrong…). I also prefer the H viewfinder.

Now, if I weren't a tech camera shooter, I'd think I'd rather save 10K and get the 'Blad over the Phase, but only if prior investment in lenses and system accessories wasn't an issue.

Of course, this is only my personal opinion and the proof will be in the pudding. Lets wait for an official announcement and for the actual products to ship.

I agree,

I don't use technical cameras, and yes for, me the Hasselblad system, is at this moment, my alternative (to my Nikon system).

I agree then, my point is that without the extra features is not fair to see as at apples to apples comparison. Of course for people that don't need the on camera live-view the Hasselblad could be a better option.

The missing link is high speed connection. Not having fast communication between the camera and the computer adds to the lack of on camera live view.

As you say we are close to the release.

Best regards,
J. Duncan

jerome_m

Marc,
As a frequent visitor to this forum, I know that you are extremely well educated on the Hasselblad system. I respectfully point out that on my H5D50 there is a battery solution. The battery clips on to the base of the back-it is a standard rechargeable sony battery which powers the back for quite some time,--the battery is inexpensive and easily obtainable.
I suppose that you mean this. Good to know.

Also: apparently, all Hasselblad backs can be powered from the firewire port.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hasselblad have released their specs for the Cmos cam... the shutter speed range is listed as 12 minutes to 1/800 sec... I believe the IQ is a lot longer,still 12mins is a lot better than 2mins..

H5D-50c
IQ is spec'd as 60 minutes to 1/4000th (focal plane) or 1/1600th (DF+ leaf shutter).

Based on the very long exposures I've seen (40 and 60 minutes) I suspect this is a conservative spec and much longer exposures will be possible. But proving it is fairly low on my test list as 60 minutes covers nearly every user we have.

We also got our first H mount IQ250, which we are showing at WPPI this week. It goes about 1.5fps (maybe faster) and does not easily hit a buffer. I'll do a formal test later today or tomorrow.

Dustbak

The Hasselblad probably does not need a dark frame subtraction which I find a huge plus with longer exposures. A 12minute exposure really only does 12 minutes in that case instead of 24.

Can the dark frame subtraction be turned off with the P1?

Bummer I find the live video only available via Phocus, hopefully this will be added to the screen too with a firmware update.

Now, I just need to figure out whether I feel it is enough to upgrade my pretty new H5D40... (It would not be a substitute for the 60)

BTW the 50c should be considered a replacement for the 40 IMO which has a 4min. exposure.