The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad CMOS 50 announced

RVB

The Hasselblad probably does not need a dark frame subtraction which I find a huge plus with longer exposures. A 12minute exposure really only does 12 minutes in that case instead of 24.

Can the dark frame subtraction be turned off with the P1?

Bummer I find the live video only available via Phocus, hopefully this will be added to the screen too with a firmware update.

Now, I just need to figure out whether I feel it is enough to upgrade my pretty new H5D40... (It would not be a substitute for the 60)

BTW the 50c should be considered a replacement for the 40 IMO which has a 4min. exposure.

It does work in Phocus mobile,now if only Hasselblad would add wifi or a cable connection for iOS.

Good points about DFS..

torger

A bit saner priced than Phase One's back I'd say, although this will still be more than twice a Pentax of course.

It's live view is only tethered and then only 10-15 frames per second, and I'm assuming that the back screen is of the aging kind. That puts it behind the IQ250, but for the typical uses these backs will be used in I don't think it will matter much.

Ben Rubinstein

Does seem weird that you would have to pay $10K extra for a decent touch screen and live view. They should buy an android mobile phone, pull out the screen and build an app, tongue in cheek perhaps but....

torger

I think the reason is that Hasselblad is a company in trouble, they simply can't afford to make proper product development in their MF range. Staying with an aging but proven processing platform is probably a less bad strategy for them at this point than putting development resources they don't have into upgrading the digital back platform to something that competes with the IQ series. For practical professional use most don't need the extra GUI features of the IQ series anyway. Even with a lousy screen image quality will still be great.

It's not only the screen that needs replacement, probably the processing platform is too sluggish to be able to make anything useful of a high resolution touch screen. I don't think it's that hard to upgrade the platform, these days you can probably borrow a lot from other mobile platforms and reduce development effort significantly, but you still need to make some investments. And that may not be compatible with the current direction of the company.

jerome_m

I think the reason is that Hasselblad is a company in trouble, they simply can't afford to make proper product development in their MF range.
Word is that both the camera part and the back part of the H5D are an extensive redesign from the H4D. For the camera part, it also seems that the manufacture was moved back from Japan to Sweden.

The new backs are much faster than the previous generation. That is immediately apparent when one plays with them for a few minutes. So there must have been some changes under the hood.

fotografz

Allegedly, live view is coming via a firmware update.

The H5D does have a number of performance enhancements over the H4D … including a bit better implementation of True Focus, and faster processing … making a great body even better.

If I were still working my bum off and vested in Hasselblad, I'd be all over this camera.

- Marc

torger

Great to hear about the new platform, I didn't know! Then this will in time surely be a better value offer.

mbn

Allegedly, live view is coming via a firmware update.
sorry...
but who in the world would ever ever again trust the words from hasselblad about future developmends of hasselblad?

personally i would feel guilty by even copy and pasting statements about future plans of hasselblad!:D;)

torger

The screen only seems to be 460x320 pixels, so it's not comparable to a IQ250 screen. You don't need that high resolution to make it useful though, more important that it has good contrast in strong light. Today such low resolution will probably give a bit dated feel to it though, so the platform upgrade seem to be quite evolutionary compared to the big jump Phase One did from P+ series to the IQ series.

Ken_R

The screen only seems to be 460x320 pixels, so it's not comparable to a IQ250 screen. You don't need that high resolution to make it useful though, more important that it has good contrast in strong light. Today such low resolution will probably give a bit dated feel to it though, so the platform upgrade seem to be quite evolutionary compared to the big jump Phase One did from P+ series to the IQ series.
Its really absurd that they would use such a low res screen on the new H5D's. No excuse. It should be much better.

RVB

Its really absurd that they would use such a low res screen on the new H5D's. No excuse. It should be much better.
Agreed,they need to raise their game.the H is a great camera but this will drive potential buyers to other platforms,the Leica S has a very nice LCD and the price is completive with the H4d-40