The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ250 - 11 things you need to know, and Q&A

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The Phase One IQ250 is real. That is to say the rumors of announcement are true, but more importantly the IQ250 starts shipping Monday!

1. It starts shipping on Monday
2. DT will be doing tech camera tests this coming week
3. It really does look good at ISO6400
4. It's a Sony sensor, Phase One everything else
5. M, H, V, and C mounts available
6. Capture Pilot for iOS7 also coming very soon
7. Live View is available on LCD, 24fps
8. Cost is $34,990 - Upgrades available
9. It does long exposures, really well
10. Same interface/chassis as other IQ2 backs
11. GPS Logging (also coming to IQ260/280)

More details can be found here: 11 Things to Know About the Phase One IQ250

Questions?

I'm glad to answer any questions. I've been in Hong Kong all week and have worked with a production IQ250, spoken to the engineers, and played with numerous raw files.

Free Rental
Digital Transitions will be giving away a free rental of the first IQ250 entering the country (must pickup/return in person to NYC office). Enter on our facebook page.

Other Links:
Phase One IQ250 Product Specs
Phase One IQ250 Justine Ungaro Shoot (raw files soon)

Quick Tease
Many more images and tests to come. Here is one from our client Justine Ungaro:

ondebanks

Well, now we know, and can stop the speculation.

For me, it's all about the S/N at higher ISO. This definitely looks good. A worthy successor to the P30+.

But more importantly, commercial CMOS has finally broken the 36x24 mm barrier. All bets are off now for how big it can get.

Ray

miska

As a tech cam user, I'd like to know if in Live view mode, you can have the focus peaking feature simultaneously ?
Would be really nice, to work with tilt !

Any chance of seeing a video of the Live-view in action ? There is a little Demo in the LL review, but what I'm missing, is how precisely you can see focus in magnified live view mode. It seems this is much easier on Canon than Nikon, so I assume the LV implementation can be done in different ways. So a video of the live view, while turning (slowly) the focusing ring of the lens would be cool...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
As a tech cam user, I'd like to know if in Live view mode, you can have the focus peaking feature simultaneously ?
Would be really nice, to work with tilt !
No simultaneous focus peaking. But the R+D guys do have several ideas they are experimenting with which could be added via firmware. What/if/when those ideas will come through is not something I can comment on.

Any chance of seeing a video of the Live-view in action ? There is a little Demo in the LL review, but what I'm missing, is how precisely you can see focus in magnified live view mode. It seems this is much easier on Canon than Nikon, so I assume the LV implementation can be done in different ways. So a video of the live view, while turning (slowly) the focusing ring of the lens would be cool...
It's very good. I tried making a video while working with one this week, but the iPhone video kept refocusing, making it very hard to see the video on the LCD. I'm sure you'll see a video from us, or P1, or someone else soon.

It can take a second to auto-adjust to changes in brightness, but after that is very fluid and smooth and has low latency.

jlm

Workshop Member
imo, the biggest difficulty with tech camera use is determining focus. how does this new back address that?
one would hope the live view has abilities like the sony A7?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Doug, do you know if the price of the 260 be affected by the release of the 250?
No price changes on any new or refurbished Phase One products to announce today.

I'd imagine some minor market changes for used phase one backs like the P30+ and P40+. But mostly from the increase in trade-ins we expect to receive from those trading up to the IQ250.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
imo, the biggest difficulty with tech camera use is determining focus. how does this new back address that?
one would hope the live view has abilities like the sony A7?
Live view focus, fast, and workable in low and bright light is included both tethered via USB and on the back's LCD itself when shooting untethered.

Check out more details here: IQ250 Live View.

cly

Doug, please take a break answering questions and put the back on a tech cam with a moved wide angle lense (Schneider!) and then come back and report. :)

If it's true that the IQ250 features micro lenses similar to the P30, it won't be what the tech cam world would like it to be.

Chris

jduncan

The Phase One IQ250 is real. That is to say the rumors of announcement are true, but more importantly the IQ250 starts shipping Monday!

1. It starts shipping on Monday
2. DT will be doing tech camera tests this coming week
3. It really does look good at ISO6400
4. It's a Sony sensor, Phase One everything else
5. M, H, V, and C mounts available
6. Capture Pilot for iOS7 also coming very soon
7. Live View is available on LCD, 24fps
8. Cost is $34,990 - Upgrades available
9. It does long exposures, really well
10. Same interface/chassis as other IQ2 backs
11. GPS Logging (also coming to IQ260/280)

More details can be found here: 11 Things to Know About the Phase One IQ250

Questions?

I'm glad to answer any questions. I've been in Hong Kong all week and have worked with a production IQ250, spoken to the engineers, and played with numerous raw files.

Free Rental
Digital Transitions will be giving away a free rental of the first IQ250 entering the country (must pickup/return in person to NYC office). Enter on our facebook page.

Other Links:
Phase One IQ250 Product Specs
Phase One IQ250 Justine Ungaro Shoot (raw files soon)

Quick Tease
Many more images and tests to come. Here is one from our client Justine Ungaro:
It's very good news in: it shows investment and progress in the medium format space. The issue is sensor size.

I am wondering if it will compite with the next generation Nikon.

It's difficult to justify the price structure when using the same technology and with a sensor that is not that big and the technology is the same.

Let see how the gamble pays out.

Best regards,
J. Duncan

hcubell

Live view focus, fast, and workable in low and bright light is included both tethered via USB and on the back's LCD itself when shooting untethered.

Check out more details here: IQ250 Live View.
Nice start with CMOS, but a 1.3X crop factor? No thanks.
Sony is apparently selling the same sensor to all of the medium format makers, so Leica and Pentax will be releasing models as well. This may be the right size sensor for the Leica S2.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Another shout out for tech cam testing. The LV video I saw at LuLa is much much better than the current fuzzy view implementation. If the crop sensor can handle tech wides with the extra movement opportunities with existing glass it could be very interesting. Let's see what testing turns up.