The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

No EVF option in new CMOS backs?

narikin

Disappointed to see no EVF output option in either the Phase or Hassy 50Mp CMOS backs. The 30fps Live View output is there, the EVF modules are there (from Sony for RX1 etc) but nobody wants to connect them up. :(

Guess its not so surprising, as neither Phase nor Hasselblad have anything that can use an EVF, and little to gain from helping other camera manufacturers (Cambo, Alpa, Arca) by enabling an EVF. But still, its a shame not to see this option. Hopefully the 'other manufacturers' rumored to be using this chip, will add this option. Perhaps Red or Sony themselves?

Be amazing if someone can work out a lead to take the live view output into a Sony EVF module.

hcubell

Disappointed to see no EVF output option in either the Phase or Hassy 50Mp CMOS backs. The 30fps Live View output is there, the EVF modules are there (from Sony for RX1 etc) but nobody wants to connect them up. :(

Guess its not so surprising, as neither Phase nor Hasselblad have anything that can use an EVF, and little to gain from helping other camera manufacturers (Cambo, Alpa, Arca) by enabling an EVF. But still, its a shame not to see this option. Hopefully the 'other manufacturers' rumored to be using this chip, will add this option. Perhaps Red or Sony themselves?

Be amazing if someone can work out a lead to take the live view output into a Sony EVF module.
I agree. The actual implementation of CMOS for medium format all seems like a day late and a dollar short.

geesbert

an hdmi output would probably suffice, there are many great hdmi viefinders out there (zacuto, small HD and others)

Shashin

Well, there is the rear screen on the back. That is an EVF. If you are talking about the little add-on, where would you mount it on the body? Than of course, the EVF on the back would only work if the mirror could be raised while the camera is still effectively metering etc. That would probably take a reengineering of the hardware. And Phase is on what, the 7th generation of the DF?

EH21

There's a big difference between tiny 4/3 cameras and MF cameras. The viewfinders in most MF cameras are significantly bigger and brighter and many have WLF, lupe, and prism options as well. Somehow the EVF seems unneccesary for MF to me. It'll be last on my wish list. First on my list is a bigger sensor.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Optically I'd agree that MF viewfinders are larger and clearer. However, the opportunity for live view with focus peaking does sound very appealing. Heck, if we're putting up a wish list I'd go for a hybrid viewfinder like I have on my X-Pro1 but with focus peak augmented display. :thumbs:

Paul2660

I would love to see the live view ported to a iPad mini or full sized screen iPad. Most likely not possible but very flexible if possible. Especially when working in tight places where I have bend over low to setup focus and or check the image after capture.

I like EVF's on the Sony and Fuji cameras I have tried or owned. IQ screen however IMO is so much better than the cruet DSLR LCD screens that I just find a way to shield the light.

Paul