The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Experiences with Leaf Aptus-II 10 on tech cam.

Pemihan

I'm contemplating upgrading my Aptus-II 7 to a Aptus-II 10 and have been searching the net for hands on experience using it on a tech cam, but nothing really comes up.

I primarily shoot landscape and do quite a bit of flat stitching and can see my self using it for panoramas (left/right shift) as well as stitching for 4:3 or 4:5 ratios using fall/rise.
To start with I didn't like the 3.1:2 ratio but the more I have thought about it it actually makes some sense in regards to my shooting style..

I use a Cambo WRS and my lens arsenal right now is SK24XL, SK35XL, SK47XL, and SK120 Aspheric.
The 24XL obviously must go and I'm thinking of replacing the 35XL and 47XL with Rodie 40 HR and SK60XL.

The Aptus-II 7 has a base ISO of 50 where the Aptus-II 10 has a base ISO of 80.
That will buy me a tiny bit more exposure at dawn/dusk but does it has any impact on the smoothness of the files as well? I really like what ISO 50 looks like on the 7.

Any imput is most welcome, would also love to see pics shot with the Aptus-II 10.

I originally was looking at a IQ260, but there's quite a big chunk of money separating the two.

Thanks
Peter

Last edited:

yaya

Peter I'm sending you a bunch of RAW files from this shoot, with various amounts of V/H shift:

This is a stitch from 2 horizontal frames with the 35mm SK

torger

I'm assuming that the ISO80 is just a rating which relates to how the sensor will be exposed when connected to a camera with auto-exposure?

That is, in actuality in terms of photon count on the sensor for a certain exposure there's no difference between Phase One's "ISO50" and Leaf's "ISO80" using the same sensor technology (6um Dalsa).

Ie ISO80 means that the auto-exposure will under-expose the sensor a little bit to provide more highlight headroom compared to if it was rated ISO50. But in a manual camera you can treat it as ISO50 if you like. Right?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Peter I'm sending you a bunch of RAW files from this shoot, with various amounts of V/H shift:

This is a stitch from 2 horizontal frames with the 35mm SK

Yair . This is a stunning architecture shot .:thumbs: Especially the light in the roof .

yaya

Thanks Jürgen, the daylight roof of that hall at the V&A is absolutely brilliant.
I was initially trying to get it all symmetrical and square but there was a structure on the balcony that wouldn't let me position the camera right in the centre.
In hindsight I'm happy I didn't as there's a better sense of depth when you're not centred (IMO)

BR

Pemihan

Yes, great shot Yair...! And it looks like the 35XL does very well on the back :)
I'm looking forward to the RAW files, thanks a lot...

Peter

Pemihan

No not at all, it's a stellar lens, sharp from corner to corner.
However the image circle wont cover the wider sensor of the Aptus-II 10, so I can't use it with that back.

I really haven't thought about pricing yet, but if/when I decide to sell I can get back to you..

Peter

Are you unhappy with its performance? How much will you be asking for it?

Thanks.

Sarnia

the image circle wont cover the wider sensor of the Aptus-II 10, so I can't use it with that back.

I really haven't thought about pricing yet, but if/when I decide to sell I can get back to you..
Peter
Of course; sorry about that. I have a Leaf Aptus 75 so it will be fine for me.

Yes, do PM me if you decide to sell it.

Hi Peter,

I just parted with my Aptus II 10 for a new Leaf Credo 80.

The Aptus lived on my Cambo and covered 20,000 frames, outdoors, over several years - it was totally bulletproof.

Lenses were primarily the Schneider 28mm apo super digitar XL (no need for me to stitch with that one) and a Schneider 60mm apo XL which I stitched with a lot at full available movement. The 60 had the tilt swing mount from cambo.

Great combos on that sensor.

I was told that the Aptus II 10 sensor design was one of Two designs that did not have ANY use of micro lenses at all. I was told by a Leaf / Phase rep that even the newest sensors have a 'small' amount of "micro lens" in the their design so the 10 is a bit unique. I'm not an engineer and really don't care about this - but I can tell you that the image quality was stellar with this combo. Beautiful leaf color and everything you expect from a high dollar back. So go test one or look at some good files.

You can see many examples on my website at williamsonimages dot com under the architecture / interiors / and landscapes sections.

Hope it helps. I added a Schneider 120mm apo also with a tilt swing but hadn't used it yet waiting on the Credo.

On a shoot in Orlando photographing a hospital. Will be at Capture integration in Atlanta on Thursday to pick up the Credo. Exciting times.

I will test the 28 with the Credo 80 and see how well the latest LCC does in Capture One. If I can't shift more than 3-5mm then I will likely sell it for a Rodenstock 40...

The 28 on the Aptus II 10 works very well with the LCC and center filter for quite a lot of movement.

Best.

Robb

Last edited:

Pemihan

Thanks Robb, I was told the same thing about the absence of micro lenses.
I will take a closer look at your website, I already have seen some of your images on the Mamiya/Leaf site, great work!

If you decide to part with the 28XL I could certainly be interested...!

Peter

Edit: I just saw you live outside Phoenix. I have a trip planned to southern AZ some time this year, don't know exactly when yet.
Could be fun to meet if you are around when I'm there..

torger

Could we have some clarification why the Aptus-II is ISO 80 and Phase One backs with the same sensor technology (Dalsa 6um) is ISO 50? Is there a real difference (ie the Aptus-II would be noisier or something) or is it just labeling?

yaya

Electronics can affect the measured output of the device. See for example Aptus-II 12 (50 iso) and Credo 80 (35 iso). Same sensor, different electronics, different base iso...

Yair

Pemihan

Yair, what's the whole story behind the Aptus-II 10 sensor design being without micro lenses?
I have been searching and searching but can't find any info or white paper or anything..

Peter

torger

Yair, what's the whole story behind the Aptus-II 10 sensor design being without micro lenses?
I have been searching and searching but can't find any info or white paper or anything..

Peter
I would really like to know this too. Does this mean that the Aptus-II 10 has less color cast than say a P65+, which both are using Dalsa 6um technology? That would be great.

I find it strange that the ISO would be same as the others if it lacks microlenses though, so I would guess that there actually is no difference from the others but would like to hear it from Yair.

Last edited:

yaya

AFAIK all 6µ DALSA sensors use the same basic pixel design. The Aptus-II 10 uses a slightly different readout arrangement than other backs but the pixels are all the sale

Yair

prakash

Hi Peter,

I use a Cambo and recently upgraded my Sinar e75r with a Leaf AFi 10 after having tested the Leaf Aptus 12 as well as a Credo 80. I found the pixel pitch of the 60 mpx backs ideal when using lenses with large image circles like the Rodie 32 HR. You may also want to consider looking at the AFi version as it also offers an internally rotating sensor as well as a tilting LCD screen.
I don't think the change in ISO will matter especially if your replacement lenses are Rodenstock HR's on T/S boards as these lenses are tack sharp edge to edge close to wide open and you can bring the foreground in focus with a slight tilt.

Good Luck

prakash