The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What lens on the Rm3di

Hi,
i am new to the forum and have a simple question:

What lens do you use on the Arca Swiss Rm3di? And what is ok with small tilt and shift movements?

Something like: "Best bang for the bucks.."

Thank you.
best regards Mueller

jagsiva

There is only "best" in the tech camera world, and unfortunately not much "bang".

If your MFDB can getaway with some of the older lenses, th SK35, 72 can be had for not too much money.

Otherwise The new SK60xl is a great lens, very versatile as a single lens, small, sharp, large image circle, and relatively affordable

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
You might want to check out:
Tech Camera Overview with specs on all modern lenses
Image Circle Visualizer which helps you preview amount of shift/rise/fall for a given sensor

Otherwise your question is far too broad to be well answered.

What are you shooting subject wise?
What do you use now?
What is your budget? What would you consider expensive or inexpensive?
How many lenses do you plan on ending up with? Do you need two lenses that can be stretched to almost any application? Are you okay with only one lens that can only do one range but does it well? Are you planning on ending up with four or five lenses so each does not need to be super flexible?
What back are you going to use it on?
Where does your work end up?

As it is your question is no more specific than "what's your favorite camera?". We want to help, but we need more!

HI @ all,
thank you for your comment. I know that you need some infos about my shooting subjects. But my question means: What is your preferred lens?
Mueller

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
65% of my images with Rodenstock 40mm HR which I think is a fantastic lens, 20% with Rodenstock 70mm HR, 10% with Rodenstock 150mm, the rest with Rodenstock 23mm HR.

I moved away from Schnieders with my IQ180 back, the rodentocks exhibit less less cast and vigneting because of the retrofocus design. However, I’ve hear the long schneiders are better than the rodenstock, and the long focal lengths would negate that as well. I also think I would opt for the 28mm Rodenstock if I had it to do over ... the 23 is just too wide for most of what I do, especially considering most of my stuff is multi shot stitches. so I’m picking a focal length that matches the vertical field of view of the lens, then rotating the camera to create the files for stitching. Thus my 40mm is giving me more coverage than my 23.

I have recently purchased a HR 28mm from a forum member. Yet to see the result (my tripod broke, so waiting for spares before I can soot).

I also like Schneider 120mm N. Very sharp lens. It requires a spacer, but that doesn't bother me. It is the same rear spacer for 120, 135, 150mm, and a longer one for 180mm-210mm.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Generically speaking, without any regard to use, priorities, or budget the very best lenses in terms of image quality are IMO:
32HR
60XL
90HR-SW
120ASPH

But again, the answer is only as relevant as the question. If you have a P40+ that you want to use for street photography hand held then I'd recommend a 35XL sans CF over a 32HR. If you are using an IQ180 for architecture and have the budget I'd suggest the 32HR over a 35XL.

Hi guys,
thank you for your answers. I have found a Rodenstock Apo-Sironar digital HR 4/35 mm. That is used cheaper than the Rodenstock 32mm HR. Are there any bis differences?
Thanks.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The SK35 is an okay lens, the HR 40 and HR 32 are both stellar lenses.

I love the 40 and 70 HR's, but also really like the SK 60. If I could only have one lens to start, it would probably be the 40HR; if I could swing 2 lenses, and money (and weight) were not an object, it would probably be the SK60 and HR32.

Hi Jack,
i have a SK35mm Digitar and i think it is not a good lens for tilt. I hope the Rodenstock 35mm is better... Is this right??!?

Paul2660

I have the SK35 and it seems fine for tilt on a 60MP back. It's however very limited to rise/fall and or shift 8mm being about the Max. This is using the rm3di.

I believe the Rod 35mm has a 70mm image circle and will be even more limited on movements with any 60MP back.

Paul