The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S2 vs Tech Camera

RVB

Hi,
before I owned the S I had a Sinar 33MP back with a Hy6 and with an Sinar Artec.
I enjoyed using the Artec when I used it but I didnt use it very often, and I also liked the Hy6 but I saw various advantages of the S (for my use) and couldnt justify the S AND a tech cam+digital back.

If we talk pure IQ I believe Leica offers such nice wides that the difference in IQ caused by the lens alone shouldnt be the point any more.
The S has the advantage that it is weather proof and quite portable, I bring it in a backpack and can carry it for some hours.

I would lie if I said I would not miss the process of using a techn camera sometimes. But I believe that if I have enough time to setup a tech cam and if I do this as a non-proffessional I can also do the REAL thing and use large format for those occasions.
My plan is to use 5x7 and to mostly do analog contacts plus, and I even plan to eventually get into wetplates for some things.

So my suggestion: if you liked 4x5 why you dont keep the S and add a 4x5.

On the other side why not rent a tech cam as others suggested, and check it out.
Only you know which photos you take how often and which camera works best and which you enjoy most.
What about shooting film with a tech cam or 4x5 if its not used that often...?

Paratom

What about shooting film with a tech cam or 4x5 if its not used that often...?
For shooting film I would say a tech cam is too expensive and offers relativly small film-size for the money.
You dont need all that precision for film IMO.

dchew

Back tilt has been dropped in field tech cameras.
Actually Alpa has back tilts if you mount the adapter behind the camera. With std and tele lenses you can have both lens and back tilt; you need 2 tilt adapters for that, which gets expensive. But I agree it is a rarely used feature, and not something that would enter into most people's decision criteria.

Jim made some great points about how Live View will change the landscape (hehehe...) of how we use these tools and the value of various design features. I still like the small-package benefits associated with some technical cameras like the Factum, STC, and small Cambo.

Pesto, I would urge you to thoroughly test the shooting process with a technical camera before you go and sell the S2. That Leica is a wonderful system, and it would be a real shame if in 2 or 5 years you wanted to get back into that. Tech cameras are very different, but a great pleasure for many of us.

Dave

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Douglas,

As an owner of both Leica S2 and Tech cameras, I would strongly recommend you not to sell the Leica yet. I know you can afford to have both systems.
Tech cam has clear advantage on the wide side but less on the tele side and the 120/180mm are just fantastic. You may be disappointed to find out the IQ is not as different as much as you would think of. Sometimes it is much more pleasant to use the S2. Today it's 5 degrees F in Denver and I am going out shooting now with my Leica S2 and will leave the tech cam at home.

Have a nice day!

Pramote

kdphotography

My advice is, if you can afford it, then you owe it to yourself. Tech is GREAT !!!

Douglas,

.... I would strongly recommend you not to sell the Leica yet. I know you can afford to have both systems.
Have a nice day!
Dante's influence is hard to suppress. ;)

Honestly, it's hard to beat the flexibility/convenience of having two systems. I have no love for my Canon DSLRs, but they are like a necessary evil. The Phase DF and Cambo work great with being able to swap the same MFDB. In much the same vein, (insert grimace here) your S2 is like the DF and a tech camera is just calling your name. There is much to be said about the enjoyment of the photographic process---and nothing beats a tech camera in this regard.

If you can make it to an event like Capture Integration in Carmel (less than three weeks!)---that's your best bet to try a wide variety of camera systems, MFDBs, and lens combinations in a single sitting over several days.

ken

Shashin

Every camera that has lens movements has back movements. The back movements are simply limited by the front ones.

Shashin

The monorail flatbed thing is really personal preference and availability. I prefer flatbed designs, but I have used monorails in the field with great success. The smallest, most compact view cameras have, in fact, been monorail designs, of which the Sinar P series cameras are not examples.

pesto

A heart felt thank you to all who have so thoughtfully responded to my post, I never expected that I would have received so many and such insightful replies, you have given me quite a plateful too ruminate upon.

I do agree that my best course at this point would be to get my hands on a tech camera of one stripe or another ( at this point the Arca Swiss RM3di is very attractive based upon specs and concept, but …???) and see how we get along although I wonder if a couple of days of shooting will tell the tale; I expect that there will be a rather steep learning curve with these cameras.

My fond best regards to all,

Douglas Benson

torger

The thing with tech cams is that they are very specialized, not as all-around as a SLR type of camera. Being specialized it's more important that the particular feature set they have match well with your own taste. As you've already seen in this threads there are many different approaches to tech cams as one would expect.

I wouldn't say that the learning curve of using a tech camera is particularly steep if you know camera movements from the 4x5" days, but choosing a system of the ones that are out there so you get one that suits your particular taste and style the best can be quite tricky.

I would suggest that you read about these cameras as much as you can off this forum and other sources, in addition to trying them out. When you read forums you get ideas of things to look for so you can make a better evaluation when you test the system for yourself. For example, the RM3Di has a very fine focusing ring. Some love it, some think it's way overkill and ALPA's focusing ring is a better tradeoff between speed and precision.

A

.:Aleph:.

4 cm × 5 cm... Inches! It's 10.2 cm × 12.7 cm, obviously.

pesto

The thing with tech cams is that they are very specialized, not as all-around as a SLR type of camera. Being specialized it's more important that the particular feature set they have match well with your own taste. As you've already seen in this threads there are many different approaches to tech cams as one would expect.

I wouldn't say that the learning curve of using a tech camera is particularly steep if you know camera movements from the 4x5" days, but choosing a system of the ones that are out there so you get one that suits your particular taste and style the best can be quite tricky.

I would suggest that you read about these cameras as much as you can off this forum and other sources, in addition to trying them out. When you read forums you get ideas of things to look for so you can make a better evaluation when you test the system for yourself. For example, the RM3Di has a very fine focusing ring. Some love it, some think it's way overkill and ALPA's focusing ring is a better tradeoff between speed and precision.
Hello Torger,
Thanks for your thoughts. This truly has proven to be a great resource , everyone has been very helpful.

Douglas

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Every camera that has lens movements has back movements. The back movements are simply limited by the front ones.
Well ... that's not entirely true when it comes to tilts.

Certainly it doesn't matter for rise/fall/shifts alone. Rear tilts will have a different effect on foreground/background perspective and the opportunity for foreground looming than front axis tilts at the lens or front of the body.

Sunchai

Just found this posted during the search and it may be interesting to see.
It is the smart Flex system, mounted on top of the Sinar P2 Base.
as the camera plate is adjustable.
the camera image plane can be adjust to matching with the Swing and Tilt
axis of the P2 camera base.

Sunchai. :D

cunim

I prefer a digital view camera because I like movements and stay mostly in the studio. If I weren't so averse to the dark room I would probably just use the 8 x 10 Sinar. Mind, I have never taken the view camera outside. Too lazy.

I lack the ability to shoot and run with any camera so, for me, taking quick shots is DSLR territory. However, I rarely care about those pictures. Useful souvenirs.

I suppose that is about where you are with the S2. Your DSLR handles souvenirs and you want S2 or better image quality for the shots you care about. Sadly, you miss the technical involvement that 4 x 5 gave you. I say sadly, because you will spend a bunch of money. If shift and front tilt for landscapes will solve the boredom, stick with the tech camera. If you really miss full movements and your interests are changing towards static studio work, look for something with standards. My 2 cents.

Paul2660

Seeing as how the rig dwarfs the S or S2, what is the weight? I can't imagine carrying that around very far.

Looks like a great way to allow shift with excellent lenses however.

Paul Caldwell

Ken_R

Seeing as how the rig dwarfs the S or S2, what is the weight? I can't imagine carrying that around very far.

Looks like a great way to allow shift with excellent lenses however.

Paul Caldwell
Looks functional for longer lenses but doesn't look very convenient. A Sony A7R combined with an Arca M2 offers about the same image quality as the Leica and since the camera has no mirror and excellent live view it is a MUCH more usable rig. Money no object of course a PhaseOne back is even more ideal. The IQ250 has amazing live view and should work great with longer tech lenses.

alajuela

Hi

If this is what is being considered (not tech), my opinion is nothing bests Arca Swiss, the F-Line metric, the MF and the M line are just perfect.

my 2 cents

Phil