The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ250 on ALPA FPS. Rodie 32, Canon 17 TSE, Canon 8-15

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Great to see more points of data. We've spent our weekend testing tech camera operation with an IQ250 as well.

Just one comment, as a second opinion. The link includes a Rodenstock 32HR (Alpa rebadges their Rodenstock lenses as "Alpagons" - it's the same lens) with 25mm of movement.

Based on Digital Transitions' initial testing we do not feel this combination of lens, movement, and back will be something we suggest. However, the orientation of the sensor seems to matter quite a bit (not just in so far as how far the back reaches into the image circle but also the interaction of the angle of light with the sensor).

Dave Gallagher

Thanks Gerald,

Just a note to all members. We are very proud to have become one of only 4 Alpa dealers in the United States. And we currently have the Alpa FPS in demo and rental stock. If anyone out there would like to take a look at this system personally then please give us a call for rental rates. We have many Alpa lenses in FPS mounts and we also have the Nikon, Canon, and Mamiya mounts in rental.

Furthermore, we are very excited about our New England office grand opening next week in "Tax Free" Manchester, NH. Representatives from Alpa and every single Alpa camera in their line up will be present at our opening. We are currently working on our landing page for the New England event but you can keep up to date on us here:

https://captureintegration.com/company/events/

Thank you to all of our clients on GetDPI who have supported us in the past. I hope that some of you will think about joining us at one of these events very soon.

Direct: 770.558.7557 | National: 877.217.9870

gerald.d

Did a lot of personal testing with Canon lenses today on the IQ250 and FPS. All lenses tested wide open (I'm looking for stuff that can't be done with the Rodies).

Can't share images, and was only testing image circles, but one big surprise was the 35mm f/1.4. Image circle covers the sensor with just a tiny bit of vignetting.

I would imagine that this would be of great interest to Milky Way shooters.

Another nice surprise was the 800mm with 2x converter - very nearly covers the full sensor :D

85mm f/1.2 is just gorgeous. Finally with the live view can realistically use this lens.
50mm f/1.2 very nearly fills the frame (miniscule hard vignette)

16-35 from 20mm up covers the sensor (just done out of interest sake, I'm not a fan of this lens).

100mm macro covers the sensor (not tested macro though).

200 f/2.0 is brilliant.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Gerald, thanks very much for posting this info.

Despite having invested in the Cambo system recently, I'm still very interested in the FPS as I have quite a few Canon lenses, not to mention M645 lenses. Shame the FPS can't take wider than a 32 on tech cam lenses. I really like the 28 focal length and have just bought a Rodenstock 28 that would be great to use on the FPS with the IQ260. The Canon lenses could still give 30-40Mpixel images once cropped so could be a lot of potential there.

Ken_R

Did a lot of personal testing with Canon lenses today on the IQ250 and FPS. All lenses tested wide open (I'm looking for stuff that can't be done with the Rodies).

Can't share images, and was only testing image circles, but one big surprise was the 35mm f/1.4. Image circle covers the sensor with just a tiny bit of vignetting.

I would imagine that this would be of great interest to Milky Way shooters.

Another nice surprise was the 800mm with 2x converter - very nearly covers the full sensor :D

85mm f/1.2 is just gorgeous. Finally with the live view can realistically use this lens.
50mm f/1.2 very nearly fills the frame (miniscule hard vignette)

16-35 from 20mm up covers the sensor (just done out of interest sake, I'm not a fan of this lens).

100mm macro covers the sensor (not tested macro though).

200 f/2.0 is brilliant.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Would be great to put a ground glass on the rear of the body and measure each lenses image circle at several focusing distances (infinity, 5m and MFD), all at optimum aperture and make a table.