Thread: New H-BLAD/Sony A99 camera

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: New H-BLAD/Sony A99 camera

Staying terrestrial this time?

I was expecting the "supernova" or "galaxy".
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely a surprise! I think it takes impressive hutzpah to market $2500 camera as a $11500 luxury item. I hope that these moves don't backfire on Hasselblad and dilute their good name and brand equity.

For about a week, I thought they had brought the ship back on course with the CMOS multishot back announcement.

Post Thanks / Like

"good name and brand quality"

You mean like the Stellar and the like?

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by EH21 View Post
    I hope that these moves don't backfire on Hasselblad and dilute their good name and brand equity.
    I think that ship has sailed. For a brief, brief, moment I thought that Hasselblad were getting their mojo back with the CMOS based sensor announcement pre-announcement. However, they dashed that idea yet again with this corker.

Maybe they think that if they keep doing this and adding very little value-add to the underlying products that people will eventually believe that they're making significant advances. Personally, I think that on one hand they're owners of one of the best MF systems on the planet and on the other they're the monkey humping the football.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

From their site: "Finally a DSLR with style, spirit and soul", "High performance has never been so luxurious".

A camera for the newly rich in emerging markets? Might work?

I guess the camera itself can be quite good, Sony A99 is not a bad camera, if they've put a sane user interface on it. And the rebranded B&W outdoor case should be nice too.

But seeing the abuse of the brand is very very sad indeed. But actually, I don't think it affects how professionals look upon their medium format cameras, if they just continue to deliver proper cameras in that space. I don't think professionals will go "oh, I'm not going to buy an Hasselblad H camera because they also make stupid rebranded overpriced Sony cameras". I think the professional customers would just see it as an embarassing side product they do and not really care much about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just feel very sick . Nothing more to say .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't see the problem - we don't have to buy one, we'll almost certainly never see one, but if it keeps Hasselblad alive then what's the problem?

Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I don't see the problem - we don't have to buy one, we'll almost certainly never see one, but if it keeps Hasselblad alive then what's the problem?
    I doubt that it keeps Hasselblad alive. Also, their intense efforts trying to hide the fact that it's a Sony camera with lots of lipstick applied, even to the point that the 18 page brochure doesn't mention with a single word that there are other (Sony) lenses than the 24-70mm available, leaves me with a very foul taste.

But they are right about one thing "... this is not just another black camera."
    It's what appears to be a discontinued Sony for 3 times the street price

Post Thanks / Like

Although I don't think it will have any significant impact on how pro customers look at their MF cameras, there are some problems.

Releasing this product, as well as their "ferrari edition" previously signals to me that this is a company in trouble. You may be less interested in making long-term investement in a system coming from a company that does not seem to be doing well.

At least I like to support companies that do good things. Making obviously ripoff cameras is certainly not adding up on the plus side. But hey, they still do the best MF-DSLR camera, so if one wants that Hasselblad it is, and that is what's going to matter in the end I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like it (save for the price). And if it means Hassy get closer to Sony, who will be supplying both Phase One and Hassy with their new 50mp CMOS sensor, so much the better for them in the long run.

In my main job, I work in an extreme luxury market, my firm helping clients buy, sell and build superyachts. This is a world where style is key, price less so. This, and the vast market in China, India etc where new millionaires are everywhere is where I suspect Hasselblad see this camera having particular attraction.

Its clever marketing, and as Jono says, it won't affect pros buying their medium format products.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    I doubt that it keeps Hasselblad alive. Also, their intense efforts trying to hide the fact that it's a Sony camera with lots of lipstick applied, even to the point that the 18 page brochure doesn't mention with a single word that there are other (Sony) lenses than the 24-70mm available, leaves me with a very foul taste.

But they are right about one thing "... this is not just another black camera."
    It's what appears to be a discontinued Sony for 3 times the street price
    The ones buying this camera will most probably not even look for another lens

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard that the "emerging market" that is China isn't so hot any more. When the rich Chinese starts to unload their Leica and Hassy...

Post Thanks / Like

Well, at least the case looks nice...

Post Thanks / Like

Who cares? Hassy's not stupid. They know the average photographer knows exactly what it and the Lunar, etc., are. They and Sony aren't after that crowd.

They want folks who, as Quentin described, care far more for style, name recognition and having something different vs. the rest of their like-minded circle of friends vs. value and actually taking pictures. They could care less what sits inside the premium materials exterior - they're only going to take web-sized Instagram-esque jpegs anyway. Maybe 1/10 of 1% of these bodies will ever be set to RAW capture or have images see the inside of CS_.

Also, if these abominations bring in Euros and a tighter relationship with Sony, even at the cost of 1001 jokes on the web, go right ahead.

Sony has sensor tech, $$$, reach and manufacturing/marketing scale, a nice relationship with Zeiss on glass design. In turn, Hassy has strong premium-camera name recognition, their MF & rental installed base, a fat lens mount, shutter tech, lens correction firmware and True Focus. One of the next joint products could be very interesting...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MaxKißler View Post
    Well, at least the case looks nice...
    I would bet it's a rebranded B&W outdoor case. I have a Linhof-branded case to my Techno, rebranded B&W with like 3x price increase. Probably a minor markup compared to Hasselblad's though .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EH21 View Post
    Definitely a surprise! I think it takes impressive hutzpah to market $2500 camera as a $11500 luxury item. I hope that these moves don't backfire on Hasselblad and dilute their good name and brand equity.

For about a week, I thought they had brought the ship back on course with the CMOS multishot back announcement.
    Well, at least it comes with the 24-70mm f2.8 lens. So its about a $4800 package with a $150 case sold for $11500 Still, not exactly a high value item obviously.

Post Thanks / Like

It's mildly amusing that the only one posting here that actually owns a medium format Hasselblad camera is not at all bothered by this overpriced novelty. More amusing is that someone connected with the Rolleiflex/Hy6 company would be making observations as to how Hasselblad should or should not build its brand.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Fools. Complete fools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Biggs View Post
    Fools. Complete fools.
    Those that buy them? Those that sell them? Or those that care about it one way or the other?
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com

Post Thanks / Like

The entire Hasselblad product team.

Post Thanks / Like

I am surprised that they did not use the 36mp sensor. In any case this is good since, now, the Vulcans are coming early, not because of warp drive but because we have a massive relativistic object on earth.

As Victor approach light speed on it's grave , as he spins, he will drag space-time and Vulcans are bond to come.

J. Duncan

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure it's cameras like this that keep Hasselblad alive, so who cares.
    No disrespect intended, but there are a lot of very wealthy people out there that don't want black cameras, or cameras that look like they were made 40 years ago. Actually there are a lot of people out there that don't want anything that even resembles "normal" or "working class".

I bet if they came out with a platinum plated A7r with the last Rhinoceros skin as a leather grip for 100k, they'd sell out in less than a hour.

Post Thanks / Like

If they had put the 50 megapixel CMOS sensor in this body or made it a tiny bit bigger and used that sensor and sold it for approx $15,000 and you could use th H mount lenses at 50mpx and these sony/zeiss lenses with something like a 36 mpix crop, whatever smaller size that covers the smaller lens circle, true focus and on sensor focus as well. With high quality 60p @1080, 24p, 30p 4k video thrown in. That would be a REALLY nice camera option. Hell, they could charge $17,000-$25,000 for that.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Who cares? Hassy's not stupid. They know the average photographer knows exactly what it and the Lunar, etc., are. They and Sony aren't after that crowd.

They want folks who, as Quentin described, care far more for style, name recognition and having something different vs. the rest of their like-minded circle of friends vs. value and actually taking pictures. They could care less what sits inside the premium materials exterior - they're only going to take web-sized Instagram-esque jpegs anyway. Maybe 1/10 of 1% of these bodies will ever be set to RAW capture or have images see the inside of CS_.
    I don't think Quentin said anything like this.
    "Nobody with all that bread got it by being weak in the head"
    The A99 is a fine camera - no question.
    The assumption that people who are happy to spend an extra 8 grand on a badge and an aluminium top are stupid is Erm - stupid. I wouldn't dream of it, but then I'm not one if those millionaires of whom Quentin speaks. I'd guess that there will be many fine photographers who are happy to pay a few bob extra ( in their terms ) for a classier body ( in their terms).

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    The ones buying this camera will most probably not even look for another lens
    Hi Peter
    I think it's rash to assume that people with lots of money aren't interested in photography

PS I think it's deeply ugly, but then that isn't quite the point.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Compared to one of the leica M9 special editions, it's quite a bargain.
    It's just the most obvious way to tell us that they want our best, our cash.
    After all that's every companies goal.

Sell a few of these "elite" and you will make profit pretty quick.
    They didn't put much effort into design or manufacturing these bodies.
    Of course, you will kill the brands reputation with such behavior.

Time will tell if the CEO kills Hasselblad with such strategies, and needs to move on to the next abandoned company. Or if the brand can take such hits, and survive.

Post Thanks / Like

my god...what a shame...
    If Victor could see the present "image" and the products of the Hasselblad...

Its no more about photo cameras and tools, its PhotoJewels cameras...so so sad...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pedro39photo View Post
    my god...what a shame...
    If Victor could see the present "image" and the products of the Hasselblad...

Its no more about photo cameras and tools, its PhotoJewels cameras...so so sad...
    But Victor likes this abomination?

Hasselblad 500 C M Gold Exclusive Kit w CF 80mm A12 1957 1987 30 Years 500CM | eBay

And what would Oscar Barnack think of this abomination?

https://www.google.com/search?q=herm...w=1480&bih=778

Post Thanks / Like

Hasselblad, if your listening, which you probably are not, here is what the Hasselblad HV SHOULD of been.

If you are going to re-badge a sony camera, at least do it right. Heck, you won't even have to change that much. Take a Sony A7R, have it come with special focal reducer made just for Hasselblad HC lenses and allow adapter to use AF and leaf shutter. Hasselblad keeps forgetting its H lenses are outstandingly good. Everyone always complains they are made by Fuji and not Ziess, but honestly I vastly prefer the Fuji "look". It is one of the reason I got a Fuji GX680.

Of course you could add some other features like true focus, and in body image stabilization, but just being able to use the H lenses with leaf shutter on a smaller, cheaper body would be amazing. I don't care how expensive the lenses are, the leaf shutter, sharpness, and unique look make up for it. combined with a specially made focal reducer just for H lenses, it would be an outstanding system.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To be clear, I'm not buying it

But I can imagine many who will. Probably not forum regulars, but it's not targeted at us or other serious photographers. It belongs on the back seat of a Bugatti, or stuffed in a Versace bag.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I doubt that there will be more of these "Elite Super Cameras" from Hassy. This one was probably a model that they had spent so much money on before Mr. Hansen's departure that they need to get some return on their investment. Basing luxury cameras on models from Sony, a company known to change standards at will, is a very dangerous path to go down. If Sony decide that the A-mount is unprofitable and cancel the whole line, what will Hasselblad's next hyper camera be based on?

The whole concept of of Hasselblad's reputation is consistency. Since 1957, they've offered 3 camera families plus the X-Pan, and two of them look so similar that only those with good knowledge of cameras would see the difference. It's like Louis Vuitton and Rolex (and Leica), that both make the same boring designs that they've made since the beginning of time. Would anybody buy a Rolex that is really a Seiko but for a Rolex price since the strap is made from lizard eyelids? Hardly.

Ignorant rich people mostly know what is valuable, and those trying to cheat on them rarely survive for long. But again, I'm quite sure this is the last Hansen Vainglorious we'll see from Hasselblad, so no worries
    Things I sell: https://www.shutterstock.com/g/epixx?language=en

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To be fair to Victor Hasselblad, when he was alive and in charge of Hasselblad he did not want his camera to be a luxury item but an actual working camera. Victor was a good sport, he invited Rollei in a friendly photography contest despite they were great competitors. He was a man with class. In many ways the Hasselblad of yesterday is not the same Hasselblad of today. We face a time of changing and many companies are faced with great challenges. If you are not innovative you must be creative to live. It is hard to judge other since we are not always right and perhaps they may not always be wrong.
    Last edited by PSon; 4th February 2014 at 19:41.
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This camera will look great on the passenger seat of a exterior chromed Mercedes on the streets of Dubai!

All-Chromed Mercedes McLaren SLR spotted in Dubai, UAE | It

These are for people who feel required to flaunt their wealth to the masses.

I would assume there are not many of them fall into the category of photographers on GetDPI...............unless a servant does it for them.

Apologizes in advance to any Emirate princes currently on the forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    To be clear, I'm not buying it

But I can imagine many who will. Probably not forum regulars, but it's not targeted at us or other serious photographers. It belongs on the back seat of a Bugatti, or stuffed in a Versace bag.
    Clearly if I had money to burn, this will be on my list, it does look good, but because I don't the Sony brand cameras will have to suffice ;p

Post Thanks / Like

There will be those who buy this and I'm betting now that they will convince themselves and tell their friends that the innards are somehow better than the Sony a99.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Victor would think "Is the gold plate really necessary? But at least it's still an actual Hasselblad 500 C camera, my creation, as good and as functional as any other".

He would not think "My company pimped a Kowa Six, quadrupled the price, and put MY name on it?!!"

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post

And what would Oscar Barnack think of this abomination?

https://www.google.com/search?q=herm...w=1480&bih=778
    Ditto - it's still a real Leica camera, so he'd think....well copy and paste what I said about Victor and replace Kowa Six with, I dunno, something like Yashica J.

I don't object to the blinging of cameras. I do object to the notion that this re-skinning transforms them into something they're not.

Ray