The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Vote on our next workshop...

Dave Gallagher

Hello everyone,

Over the years our relationship with GetDPI has been strong and we are very thankful for the support that we have received here on this forum. We have had many successful workshops in conjunction with GetDPI, thus our latest article on our blog has discussed these workshops and why they are important to attend:

https://captureintegration.com/top-10-reasons-to-attend-capture-integration-workshops-2/

Today, we are ready to start working on our next workshop now that our New England, Dallas, and Los Angeles offices are open. However, this time I would like to poll everyone here as to what you have been looking for and what location is ready for us to go and attack. Also, who would you prefer as instructors?

Jack in Hawaii?

Guy in Puerto Rico?

Bob in a thong at South Beach? ;)

Any other instructors added to the list? Or all of them at one location?

We are going to build this one around you. We would love to get your feedback. We are thinking that this would be at the end of May.

Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks in advance!

Dave Gallagher, CEO, Capture Integration
Capture Integration
Atlanta - Dallas - Miami - New England - Los Angeles
Direct: 770.846.5223 | National: 877.217.9870

alajuela

Hello everyone,

Over the years our relationship with GetDPI has been strong and we are very thankful for the support that we have received here on this forum. We have had many successful workshops in conjunction with GetDPI, thus our latest article on our blog has discussed these workshops and why they are important to attend:

https://captureintegration.com/top-10-reasons-to-attend-capture-integration-workshops-2/

Today, we are ready to start working on our next workshop now that our New England, Dallas, and Los Angeles offices are open. However, this time I would like to poll everyone here as to what you have been looking for and what location is ready for us to go and attack. Also, who would you prefer as instructors?

Jack in Hawaii?

Guy in Puerto Rico?

Bob in a thong at South Beach? ;)

Any other instructors added to the list? Or all of them at one location?

We are going to build this one around you. We would love to get your feedback. We are thinking that this would be at the end of May.

Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks in advance!

Dave Gallagher, CEO, Capture Integration
Capture Integration
Atlanta - Dallas - Miami - New England - Los Angeles
Direct: 770.846.5223 | National: 877.217.9870

Hmm - Now about Shanghai?????????? Hong Kong??????????

dchew

US 395
Mono Lake
Mammoth
Bode
White Mountains / Bristlecone pines
Visit Galen & Barbara's studio
Eastern Sierra
Alabama Hills
Mt. Whitney

Dave

Don Libby

Fall colors in Jackson Hole
Capturing Buffalo, Elk, Moose with medium format
Can't forget Yellowstone in the winter with beautiful landscape and snow covered wildlife near Garner MT and Lamar Valley
Or the hot springs further south
I'd second Mono Lake either color, black & white or infrared
Then there's always the slot canyons of the southwest (worlds longest is in southern UT on public land)
Speaking of the southwest there's cliff dwellings, Valley of the Gods, Monument Valley and Canyon De Chelly.
Almost forgot Hawaii Volcano National Park

Enough from me I want to hear others lists :)

Qamaro

Patagonia, Tasmania and New Zealand (Landscape lovers paradise)
Barcelona and Chicago (Architecture)
Galapagos (might be a stretch for MFD but, hey you want to push your skills right!)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
US 395
Mono Lake
Mammoth
Bode
White Mountains / Bristlecone pines
Visit Galen & Barbara's studio
Eastern Sierra
Alabama Hills
Mt. Whitney

Dave
I am incredibly biased but I think that Dave's suggestion is a great one. I'd throw in Olmstead Point too plus the opportunity to do some night shooting and light painting in this area too for those that might be interested. Also working with the Bodie conservancy could get you access to the interiors of that location plus out of hours shooting options. Tough not to be able to get some great images in this area.

Need to watch out for altitude for anyone sensitive to these things.

dchew

I am incredibly biased but I think that Dave's suggestion is a great one. I'd throw in Olmstead Point too plus the opportunity to do some night shooting and light painting in this area too for those that might be interested. Also working with the Bodie conservancy could get you access to the interiors of that location plus out of hours shooting options. Tough not to be able to get some great images in this area.

Need to watch out for altitude for anyone sensitive to these things.
Graham,
If they are serious about May, I think it will be too early for Tioga Pass to be open. :(

The one big problem with my suggestion is the amount of driving. It almost makes sense to fly into Reno and out of Vegas...? That adds a bunch of cost in both flights and cars. But CI is resourceful and creative, right?? :)

Dave

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Tioga pass most likely will not be open in May, but it is possible. There have been years it wasn't open for the 4th of July, but I doubt this year will be one of those unless we get a very large late series of storms.

Guy and I did the Northern leg of this one a few years back and it was very popular -- BUT it is not a luxury trip nor is it the type of trip you can work from one location on like Dave and CI typically likes to put on. For this one you need to motel hop -- yes motel, because there really aren't any hotel's or resorts to speak of, and they're lower to mid range motels to boot; clean, but not elegant...

Guy and I already have this one all planned out, and we were just discussing offering it this Fall when we were together in Yosemite. Absolute best time for the Yosemite High Country/Mono Lake/US395/Bodie area is Fall, around the 2nd to 3rd week of October. You have all the way South on 395 from the Alabama Hills and Bishop/East Mt. Whitney and lake Sabrina, up to Mamouth, Devil's Post-pile, then up to June Lake Loop, Lee Vining Canyon and Mono Lake -- you head up to Yosemite High Country from here, and doing an Olmstead or Tioga or Ellery lake night shot is easy if staying in Lee Vining -- then up to Lundy Canyon, over Conway Pass, then in to Bodie, then up to Bridgeport, with a few of my secret locations in-between :)

If folks are seriously interested in this one, then let Dave know that you'd absolutely be okay with the lower to mid range motel hopping and being fed in small town cafe's instead of CI's typical more luxurious lodging and dining model. If he can embrace it, I think it would be a stellar workshop. If Dave does not want to do this one, then Guy and I can probably be persuaded if there's enough interest.

A sidenote on Bodie interiors. I've done a bunch of them. End of day they were great 25 years ago, but not so much as of 10 years ago, and a lot worse now. The dust has built up to where it is so thick a layer of gray covering everything, that it all appears a uniform scunge. There are some okay compositions for B&W, but the bulk of the images now look very sad in color because there is no color. Honestly, I believe the ideal time to be in the park is shooting around the old buildings, machinery and cemetery right before and after a small Fall T-Storm. Of course that is a lottery hit if we get it.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
@ Don: White sands is literally a 5-image destination, with nothing else within 8 hours of driving to shoot. Moreover, to get the iconic yucca or whatever the plant is on the dune at sunrise shot, you need to camp overnight in the dunes, and it's nigh impossible to get those permits for groups now.

Don Libby

@Jack - And that's why I called it a one-trick pony...

Then there's always Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge (near Socorro NM) which is only 138 miles away. Of course if you go to Socorro you need to see the Very Large Array which can be impressive at night with a full moon.

Lots to do...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, Bosque is at it's best mid winter, or right about now...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Nobody asked where I want to go. LOL

Want to go to the mother land Italy with sun, sand, topless beaches a hall pass and plenty of Amaretto and Vodka. Oh time to take the garbage cans to the curb.

I hate waking up. LOL

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Tioga pass most likely will not be open in May, but it is possible. There have been years it wasn't open for the 4th of July, but I doubt this year will be one of those unless we get a very large late series of storms.

Guy and I did the Northern leg of this one a few years back and it was very popular -- BUT it is not a luxury trip nor is it the type of trip you can work from one location on like Dave and CI typically likes to put on. For this one you need to motel hop -- yes motel, because there really aren't any hotel's or resorts to speak of, and they're lower to mid range motels to boot; clean, but not elegant...

Guy and I already have this one all planned out, and we were just discussing offering it this Fall when we were together in Yosemite. Absolute best time for the Yosemite High Country/Mono Lake/US395/Bodie area is Fall, around the 2nd to 3rd week of October. You have all the way South on 395 from the Alabama Hills and Bishop/East Mt. Whitney and lake Sabrina, up to Mamouth, Devil's Post-pile, then up to June Lake Loop, Lee Vining Canyon and Mono Lake -- you head up to Yosemite High Country from here, and doing an Olmstead or Tioga or Ellery lake night shot is easy if staying in Lee Vining -- then up to Lundy Canyon, over Conway Pass, then in to Bodie, then up to Bridgeport, with a few of my secret locations in-between :)

If folks are seriously interested in this one, then let Dave know that you'd absolutely be okay with the lower to mid range motel hopping and being fed in small town cafe's instead of CI's typical more luxurious lodging and dining model. If he can embrace it, I think it would be a stellar workshop. If Dave does not want to do this one, then Guy and I can probably be persuaded if there's enough interest.

A sidenote on Bodie interiors. I've done a bunch of them. End of day they were great 25 years ago, but not so much as of 10 years ago, and a lot worse now. The dust has built up to where it is so thick a layer of gray covering everything, that it all appears a uniform scunge. There are some okay compositions for B&W, but the bulk of the images now look very sad in color because there is no color. Honestly, I believe the ideal time to be in the park is shooting around the old buildings, machinery and cemetery right before and after a small Fall T-Storm. Of course that is a lottery hit if we get it.
Yea this one which I loved doing was great with fall colors. But that's October and lack of moisture in Yosemite might be a issue than.

Actually one of my favorites was Bandon and driving up the coast of Oregon

Don Libby

Nobody asked where I want to go. LOL

Want to go to the mother land Italy with sun, sand, topless beaches a hall pass and plenty of Amaretto and Vodka. Oh time to take the garbage cans to the curb.

I hate waking up. LOL

How 'bout Tahiti and a mix of black sands and lush green mountains. And it fits Guys wish list of topless beaches and sand.....