Site Sponsors

Thread: Schneider 80mm lens/ FUNGUS?

Post Thanks / Like

Schneider 80mm lens/ FUNGUS?

I have a Schneider 80mm lens for the 4X5 camera. It has developed some fungus inside the elements. Can somebody recommend a place where I can have it fixed. I live near NY.
    Thanks,

R---

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Schneider 80mm lens/ FUNGUS?

Nippon Clinic
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You may be in luck as Schneider has a office in NY. I don't have the number but I have called them a few times in the past. From their main website look for the US office as they list the phone number.

NY May not be able to clean it but they will be able to get you the info where to send it.

Here is the link to service page.

https://www.schneideroptics.com/service/service.htm

Paul C

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is it the surface next to the shutter/aperture? You may simply be able to unscrew the front or rear lens units and clean it yourself. A good lens cleaner will take care of that.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is deeper inside. For a while I thought the elements were separating. I was told by some camera stores it was fungus and not separation. Hence my quest. I will try all avenues.
    Thanks,
    R---

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fungus needs to be gassed or flooded to be killed. Best to send it to a place that knows how to deal with it. Worst result is it is contagious and can transfer to other nearby lenses if it isn't killed.

That said, it mostly originates in older lenses that used animal-based lubricants for the aperture or shutter mechanisms -- old LF lenses, old folding cameras, etc. The SK 80 is a relatively new build lens, so if it got fungus my guess is it contracted it from another older infected lens in your stable.

Regardless, make sure you get it all killed.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."