The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using CFV on unmodified 200 series

summiluc

I've been happily using my CFV on my 503 CW and SWC/M for some time now. I'm hoping to acquire a 200 series camera, 201F most likely, to use with the CFV. Based on what I've found on the net it is possible to use the CFV on an unmodified 200 or even 2000 series camera up to its fastest shutter speed if I use a pricey Kapture HA-001 cable ($300). This looks like a cable release that also has a connector from the camera flash sync to the CFV back. Do I really need the specific Kapture cable or can I use a separate cable release and the sync to CFV connector?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
As you already have quite some experience using your CFV with a 500 Series camera there is only to say , that you have to set the 201F into "C" mode .
Then you can use all C , CF and CFE lenses as you would with a 500 Series Camera . You should connect the Sync Cord from the lens to the CFV . The wakeup signal for the digital back is given by means of a plunger from the camera . Same as with your 503CW .
There is NO need for the kapturegroup or ALPA sync cable .

If you work from a tripod and dont use strobes , you dont even need the sync cable . You can put the back into FLASH SYNC mode , apply the wakeup signal by using the "H" System release cable and then fire the shutter within the specified time you set for flash sync .

neil

I have had some success using 200 series lenses on an unmodified 200 series camera. Handheld.

Set the back to xsync mode with a 4 second timeout.

Tape the simple wake up cable to the camera strap. ( I use a simple canon remote release with straight jack plug )

Compose your photo, press the wake up. You then have 4 seconds to recompose and press camera shutter.

It works but not for fast action photos. It's worth it just to be able to use the lovely 200 series lens.

Kindest regards

Neil

jlm

Workshop Member
there is an argument for getting your 200 modified (fairly simple fix) no cables needed. i used the 205TCC with the CFV and loved it

Last edited:

summiluc

Thanks guys, that's really helpful.

FWIW Hassy is charging $440 +SH to do the mod if I decide to go with one of the modifiable 200 series cameras. I'm thinking 201F because its cheaper and I can't imagine myself using AE or even the in-camera meter. In ten years, I've not once used my 503's TTL function. I use my SWC/M the most and sometimes a focusing screen fells like burdensome frivolity.

PSon

Only these Hasselblad 200 series models can be digitally modified for the CFV digital backs.

1) 202FA
2) 203FE
3) 205TCC
4) 205FCC

Douglas Fairbank

I'm thinking 201F because its cheaper and I can't imagine myself using AE or even the in-camera meter.
The 205 and the zone metering system was my favourite, I never felt so in control of the exposure with any other system. If you ever get a chance to try it please take it and see if you don't agree.

PSon

I also love the 205FCC and 205TCC cameras. I still own 3 copies of the FCC one is brand new which I will keep it this way and two mint to use. My favorite lens are the 110mm F2, 250mm F4, 350mm F4, 50mm F2.8 and 150mm F2.8. I also own the Contax 645 system and lens but I actually like the Hasselblad 200 series camera lens more.