The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Crappy Hasselblad/Bron Service

bpepz

Alright, I am interested to see if anyone else has had problems with them, but so far I am really not liking the service from the Hasselblad/Bron center in New Jersey. A few months ago my auxiliary shutter broke, and I sent it in to them to fix. It took a month to get back, but it was fixed. First thing I noticed was the focus screen was covered in finger prints. I wonder how hard it would of been to at least remove the screen while repairing it? Or maybe, try cleaning it before sending it back? This irked me, but is not the end of the world. Next I do some test shots to make sure everything is working fine. I take a look at the files when I'm done and they are all back focused. I wonder if maybe I was not focusing carefully enough, I try again, I am not recomposing either, and I am waiting for the two green arrows to appear. Same results, consistently back focused. Hoping that I am just seeing things, I go on to use it for another few weeks, probably shooting a couple thousand shots, photos of models, trees, food, everything. All of them were back focused. This was never a problem before I sent it in for service. I take a closer look at the service receipt, and saw they replaced the front and back contacts as well. I figured this might of changed the distance registration slightly, and this would explain back focusing. I sent it in to Hasselblad/Bron in New Jersey about three weeks ago. I called them and confirmed they got my package, they said they did. A few weeks go by and no word from them. So I call them, no answer, I leave messages, no one calls back. I start calling every other day, no one answers on any line. I begin to think they might even be avoiding me. I try one last time, no answer, so I ask to use my friend's cell phone, magically, I was able to get through now. I ask what is going on with my repair? They say they could find nothing wrong with it, took multiple shots and absolutely everything is fine. I bring up that since they replaced the contacts, and had to remove a lot of stuff to get to the aux shutter it may be possible this changed the distance slightly, they tell me this is impossible. Somehow I am not sure I believe them. Now I am stuck sending it to the Hasselblad factory to fix it at my expense. This is going to add another 3-4 weeks until I can use it, and is not even my fault. Also, if they tested it and found nothing wrong, why did they never even send me an email or call me? Only after I struggled getting ahold of them after 3 weeks did I get an answer, but only after I bugged them about it.

Maybe it is just my experience, but based on that I would highly recommend to stay clear of them. If anyone else has any opinions on this I would love to hear it.

Douglas Fairbank

I can reassure you with one part of your complaint. I know the H cameras well and I can tell you that changing the contacts would not affect the focus. Replacement of the contacts does not disturb the alignment.

bpepz

I can reassure you with one part of your complaint. I know the H cameras well and I can tell you that changing the contacts would not affect the focus. Replacement of the contacts does not disturb the alignment.
Well, that is good. However, the thin plate that consists of the mount on the back of the h3d body was replaced. Mine was fairly worn with obvious scuffs and scratches, when I got it back it was pristine. I think changing that part out, or possibly tightening it too much or having too loose screwed up the tolerances.

citizin

This is upsetting to hear, I just had to send in my one H lens I own to them, it got jammed and wouldn't focus. It was a demo lens before and was pretty worse for wear to begin with. The Hasselblad rep I've been dealing with has been awesome, so I hope they're just as good as he was.

I don't think I'm going to deal well with using my back-up kit for the next 3 weeks.

stngoldberg

I have only had terrific experience with Hasselblad repair including a recent repair on a minor defect on my new H5D50
Stanley

citizin

After two and a half weeks after sending into NJ repair depot. A couple emails, and finally a phone call to them today, they finally got around to getting me an estimate.

The quote was replacing parts that weren't needed, well almost the whole lens from what I can take from it. Makes sense considering it's also twice the cost of what I paid for the lens initially from Hasselblad.