The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A down to the line decision

Did you by any chance think about the D3x with the new 24pce? A little less IQ from the sensor but a great lens with all movements included-tilt, shift etc, with life view, all in a compact package, and if you want you could even increase the ISO up to 1600 in case you need it....I know-this is the MF-forum
I like ground glass; it helps me see things better. I don't see perspective as well through a viewfinder. This is one reason I won't go for a Phase/Mamiya body.

tashley

Subscriber Member
The great thing with the Alpa are IMO, besides the precision, the different body options.

Did you by any chance think about the D3x with the new 24pce? A little less IQ from the sensor but a great lens with all movements included-tilt, shift etc, with life view, all in a compact package, and if you want you could even increase the ISO up to 1600 in case you need it....I know-this is the MF-forum
Hi Tom,

I did think briefly about it but I'm just rather 'over' DSLR's. They offer neither the light weight and small form factor of a carry around (for that I have a Panny G1 and an M8) nor the critical huge enlargeability of a MF back. I sold my 1DSII after just about a coupla thousand frames and haven't missed it for a second though I am keeping my Canon glass just in case!

Besides have you seen a P45+ on an Alpa TC? My my, and I thought I was over wanting things so badly I had to have them!

:)

Tim

Paratom

I like ground glass; it helps me see things better. I don't see perspective as well through a viewfinder. This is one reason I won't go for a Phase/Mamiya body.
wouldnt lifeview with the posibility to zoom and with a bright view offer much more relaxed and accurate focusing and composing than a ground glass in the small size of a MF sensor?

wouldnt lifeview with the posibility to zoom and with a bright view offer much more relaxed and accurate focusing and composing than a ground glass in the small size of a MF sensor?
Yes, couldn't agree more. When an MFDB comes out that can do that in the field, I'll be first in the queue. :D

Paratom

Yes, couldn't agree more. When an MFDB comes out that can do that in the field, I'll be first in the queue. :D
ja, I was just teasing and understand the difference in IQ.
I am however curious what the d3x witha lens like the 24pc can do.
I dont understand why they cant improve the displays of the MF- backs.

carstenw

ja, I was just teasing and understand the difference in IQ.
I am however curious what the d3x witha lens like the 24pc can do.
I dont understand why they cant improve the displays of the MF- backs.
I don't know if it just a lack of trying, or if there is really some deeper issue. I could imagine, for example, that the high-spec screens on the new Nikons, for example, are prohibitively expensive in small production numbers. I don't know though.

Tim, do the Max and TC give you everything in your requirements-list from earlier? Suddenly two cameras, plus the G1/M8, lenses, and so on, and still no tilt/swing, unless 6 degrees with an extra adapter floats your boat, and no proper way of getting the correct focus (sufficient DoF does not give the same sharpness as proper focus). Are you letting the sexy specs drive your needs? ;)

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
I don't know if it just a lack of trying, or if there is really some deeper issue. I could imagine, for example, that the high-spec screens on the new Nikons, for example, are prohibitively expensive in small production numbers. I don't know though.

Tim, do the Max and TC give you everything in your requirements-list from earlier? Suddenly two cameras, plus the G1/M8, lenses, and so on, and still no tilt/swing, unless 6 degrees with an extra adapter floats your boat, and no proper way of getting the correct focus (sufficient DoF does not give the same sharpness as proper focus). Are you letting the sexy specs drive your needs? ;)
Carsten, you truly are the Confucius of the Boards :)

I was giving up on shift and swing because of the issues of getting the lens and the sensor parallel when you don't want those movements: but now I'm looking at the Silvestri bicam, which is like a little Max for travelling, has a sliding /stitching back for focus and, er, stitching, doesn't require stupidly expensive lens adaptations for all uses and then converts into a full movement cam with bellows when you want it to. Like the old joke about the one-night stand that turns into a pizza and a six-pack.

Finally technology is catching up with my adolescent dreams...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
That is the one I am looking at Tim. The Bicam looks very interesting. Need to see and play with it though before deciding

tashley

Subscriber Member
That is the one I am looking at Tim. The Bicam looks very interesting. Need to see and play with it though before deciding
I like its modularity: outside it's an Alpa Max but at the weight of an SWA12 then inside it's a flexicam to use tethered with more choce if movements.

I'm seriously thinking of getting one .... and it has a sliding back so you can actually focus things!

The quote I got with a 35mm Rodi HR, digiback plate for my P45+, slide/stitch adaptor, heli lens adaptor, bellows, focus bellows, all in at £5,145 versus the Cambo wide rs with 35mm hr at about £5,500.....

Last edited:

carstenw

Make sure you try it first. Maybe it is no easier to use shift with than the other one.

I have to admit that the TC is just a stunningly attractive camera. If only it had a coupled, accurate rangefinder...

fotografz

It's all been said:

1) If you need more than 60 second exposures, your current back is the highest resolution of the few options available.

2) If you don't need long exposures per #1 above, test out the Hassy AND the software before selling your Phase --- if you like it, you are done.

3) Only other viable option for *tilts* is your P45+ back and a view or tilt camera of some sort, but IMO *any* of them will require a sliding back for convenience -- no other convenient way to set compositions, movements and focus, then doing the back and forth with confirmation exposures...

3a) An ancillary option I'd explore for adjusting PoF is focus blending; I am thinking it may be superior to tilts since you can get more than one plane of subjects in focus at a time -- but then that's me and I am pretty darn happy with my Phase/Mamiya outfit.

4) All that said, coupled with your disastrous Mamiya history, I think you should go Hassy. I mean it can only be better unless you are cursed, and you seem so disillusioned with Mamiya now I doubt you can ever be happy with it.

5) On the upside, I suspect you will be able to sell your P45+ in Mamiya mount pretty easily.

Best,
Please stay away from Hassey ... we don't need your kind in the family ... you're like Al Capp's Joe Btfsplk in the Lil' Abner comic strip ... the jinxed character with the dark cloud over his head all the time ... :ROTFL:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Please stay away from Hassey ... we don't need your kind in the family ... you're like Al Capp's Joe Btfsplk in the Lil' Abner comic strip ... the jinxed character with the dark cloud over his head all the time ... :ROTFL:
What's it worth?

jonoslack

What's it worth?
Don't you think you should be approaching Hasselblad for the true value?

f'rinstance - I've never been to Lords when it hasn't rained . . . and that's quite a lot of times. I always wonder whether an approach to the MCC might not be lucrative:)

tashley

Subscriber Member
Don't you think you should be approaching Hasselblad for the true value?

f'rinstance - I've never been to Lords when it hasn't rained . . . and that's quite a lot of times. I always wonder whether an approach to the MCC might not be lucrative:)
Hmmm, I did spend quite a lot in Woolworth's last year...

tashley

Subscriber Member
Guy, just so's you know, the Bicam only offers vertical shift unless you add the bellows. I thought it was basically a Cambo Wide with optional bellows. but in fact not, which compromises its usefulness for horizontal stitching...

:-(