Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: William Carr - Superb

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: William Carr - Superb

I don't think it's coincidental that his gallery is in Las Vegas. His sales model reminds me of "art" I've seen for sale in tourist hotels in Hawaii.

Post Thanks / Like

As best as I can tell, the precursor to Messrs. Lik, Carr and Lough is Michael Fatali. However, IMO, he is a very creative guy who actually found a number of the iconic locations that others now copy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    You should read the Leica threads...especially the S2 owners
    Hmmm, I thought the Leica Forum was by invitation only . . . . .
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    As best as I can tell, the precursor to Messrs. Lik, Carr and Lough is Michael Fatali. However, IMO, he is a very creative guy who actually found a number of the iconic locations that others now copy.
    Fatali, now there's a real lover of nature and the environment… Fatali Pleads Guilty to All Charges - Photo.net Nature Forum

John

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've owned Nikon, Canon, Sony, Phase 1, Hassselblad, Leica S2 etc. because I can afford them and love their quality, nothing else. They are just tools.

What I've found out was very interesting. When I first joined the Leica S2 group, 5 people emailed me, greeting and giving me advices. We've become friends. It's rarely happened with other groups. It's hard to judge people. It is not nice to make fun of them especially if you aren't even in contact with them.

I like the pictures of this guy but it's too commercial to me.
    Come on! Putting him in the same league as Ansel Adams and Clyde Butcher? Most of his pictures look very familiar although I've never heard of him or seen his pictures before.
    Last edited by Landscapelover; 14th February 2014 at 18:26.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This isn't very different from a lot of other marketing directed towards ignorant, rich people. Is it "Typical American"? It would probably be seen as that in many parts of the world, some places even in a positive sense. When I was a kid, everything was "bigger and better" in America. This guy seems to be really, really big

He does seem to be a rather decent photographer though. What astonishes me is the terrible technical quality of the video.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Personally when someone tries to compliment me by saying my piece looks like painting, I cringe. (that seemed to be the main point of the art consultants. I couldn’t handle more than that so I quit watching)

I have no desire for my work to be thought in those terms. There are many more “paintings” that are not art compared to those that are, and I certainly don’t want my work thought of as a substitute for true art which has to be painted. This is why I no longer print on canvas.

As far as Carr, he’s following the Peter Lik model, Vegas market, saturated face mounted acrylics, self promotion. I would hope a lot of that is his PR guy pushing him, sad if he really sees himself as that amazing. Guessing the video was for his Miracle Mile Gallery, similar to Lik who’s heavy self promotion is all about convincing those walking in the door in a few seconds that he’s a world renown artist.

As far as his “35 million” number, he must be counting the millions of postcards he’s sold in gas station throughout the southwest.
    wayne
    My gallery

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is funny. Lots of people here are sort of slamming this guy's marketing, but, if you think about it, he has been getting a lot of hits from here. It is bring him attention, the point of marketing. He might be onto something...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another thought. He seems to know his market. Las Vegas is not really the place for restraint and understatement.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pretense and over-the-top displays of bad taste is not the exclusive domain of the US.

The newly rich of the world sure are doing a good job of beating the US at its own game.

Like any multi faceted culture, there are the tasteful, and there are the masses clamoring for ever more examples of a cultural train wreaks.

Many of the very worst US TV programs originated in England.

The French minister of culture once described Disney World Paris is a "Cultural Chernobyl". Didn't stop it from becoming the most visited attraction in all of France and Europe.

30% of the visitors to Las Vegas are foreign. That's a lot considering how far they have to come.

etc. etc. etc.

I wouldn't get to pretentious about the pretense of others.

- Marc

Oh, and I agree that the Leica S folks have been cordial, informative and unpretentious in their communications and have become extended friends in the process … just because they can afford their favored tool don't make them uppity as implied. Nice people, like many on this site.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GMB View Post
    ........... But it is my experience that in the US it is more acceptable to say "I am the best" or "My experience is unique/unrivaled" and that people actually expect you to say that, whereas in other parts of the world that is likely off-putting.

The US is a very diverse place, but I'm comfortable in saying your comment is not true for the majority, certainly not for most of the people I've known. I assume you are basing this comment on impressions from people in marketing and entertainment; it's unfortunate that you extrapolate your experience to an entire nation. That most of the US posters in this thread find William Carr's self-aggrandizing video distasteful should tell you something.

Tom
    Last edited by tsjanik; 14th February 2014 at 19:46.

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Leica comment was tongue - in - cheek, lighten up!
    I owned an S2 too. Geez!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Since Mr. Carr has been compared to Clyde Butcher, I thought people might want to look at a video or two about Clyde: http://www.clydebutcher.com/videos

Not quite like Mr. Carr's.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Since Mr. Carr has been compared to Clyde Butcher, I thought people might want to look at a video or two about Clyde: http://www.clydebutcher.com/videos

There's no comparison. I could by a photo from this man

Oh, and his gear list is to die for

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: William Carr - Superb?? Nope, generic nicely executed & presented

Exactly, you can spot an Ansel, Butcher, Eggleston, Shore, Crewdson, Weston, Porter etc a mile off. They aren't all duplicating each other's spectacular shot of an iconic location. I much prefer the likes of Charles Cramer, William Neil, and many others who have a body of work that consists of great images of intimate landscapes that any of us could trip over but they present beautifully as art.

I'm not a great fan of Ansel's work as a whole (sorry) but he does have some uniquely Ansel Adams images that I respect enormously. Ditto the other folks I mentioned. The likes of Lik and Carr (who for all of his 'fame' I'd never even heard of before this thread and amusing video) are money making machines for the decorator market. That's fine and good luck to them but please don't insult our intelligence with the 35m images sold etc because if most of us have never seen them they can't have been that memorable.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Wow! I have never heard so many cliches and platitudes in a ten minute production as this.
    +1

I've reserved comment until I had an opportunity to watch the video & look at his website. The video is IMHO vomit-worthy, but it's advertising and as such isn't much different from broadcast TV ads (most of which are likewise vomit-worthy).

About his photos… there are a few I like but none strike me as unique enough to justify 1/10 of the hype and art-speak on the video. They're nice post cards. I don't see a unique William Carr style in them.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: William Carr - Superb?? Nope, generic nicely executed & presented

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Exactly, you can spot an Ansel, Butcher, Eggleston, Shore, Crewdson, Weston, Porter etc a mile off. They aren't all duplicating each other's spectacular shot of an iconic location. I much prefer the likes of Charles Cramer, William Neil, and many others who have a body of work that consists of great images of intimate landscapes that any of us could trip over but they present beautifully as art.

I'm not a great fan of Ansel's work as a whole (sorry) but he does have some uniquely Ansel Adams images that I respect enormously. Ditto the other folks I mentioned. The likes of Lik and Carr (who for all of his 'fame' I'd never even heard of before this thread and amusing video) are money making machines for the decorator market. That's fine and good luck to them but please don't insult our intelligence with the 35m images sold etc because if most of us have never seen them they can't have been that memorable.
    I bet you you never mistake a promo video from William Carr with someone else...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post

I have has the fortunate circumstance to have spent about 1/2 an hour with Clyde and his wife Niki, two on one, if you will, at one of the street painting festivals, my wife participates in. I was graced with them and the opportunity to discuss photography while showing them around the festival and introducing them to a few of the better street painting artist, my wife included. Anyway, the point in the context of this thread and the comment above is that Clyde and Niki are two of nicest, most paid back people you will ever meet. Free and easy with the information, too. Clearly, Clyde has gotten to the point in his career and to an age where he wants to give back. Peace.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BlinkingEye View Post
    I have has the fortunate circumstance to have spent about 1/2 an hour with Clyde and his wife Niki, two on one, if you will, at one of the street painting festivals, my wife participates in. I was graced with them and the opportunity to discuss photography while showing them around the festival and introducing them to a few of the better street painting artist, my wife included. Anyway, the point in the context of this thread and the comment above is that Clyde and Niki are two of nicest, most paid back people you will ever meet. Free and easy with the information, too. Clearly, Clyde has gotten to the point in his career and to an age where he wants to give back. Peace.
    I have a enormous amount of respect for photographers that want to give back to the photo community. I know I try my hardest.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I have a enormous amount of respect for photographers that want to give back to the photo community. I know I try my hardest.
    My wallet thanks you...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your wife don't though. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This has been an interesting thread to follow. Some here have been fairly vitriolic towards William Carr while others have tried to cut him a bit of slack. I'm not a close friend but I've known William Carr for a number of years. I've always found him to be cordial and friendly, and not arrogant in one on one conversations.

As others here have noted, Carr operates in Las Vegas, a market not known for good taste or elegance. It is a market that includes well-known photographic frauds, whose activities range from strong arming the competition to hiring photographers under NDAs to carry out assignments and then passing the work as their own. Carr, in spite of his over-the-top promotional DVD, exhibits some integrity.

Carr understood the demographics of the market he was moving into when he opened his gallery in Las Vegas and he acted accordingly. I suspect there are few of us on this forum that would have the guts,desire/ego or portfolios to financially survive in the Las Vegas market. What we might define as fine art work likely would not be visible above the visual noise and clutter of Las Vegas. Carr has simply chosen to play in an arena where hard ball is the rule.

It's probably time for Guy to end this thread.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Charles, I don't think there is a reason to close the thread because you have actually nailed the hammer on the head. Professionals have to make money. Market forces are part of that business. And when your business is in more creative fields, then this is much more complex.

What do photographers do to become financially successful? Now, it easiest way to to simply be wealthy from the beginning. Many of the most successful photographers we know did not actually have to earn their living. And this is true for other arts. It is one of those unspoken secrets. But if you actually have to make your money and your have no other resources, the field can be difficult to work in. Many will start by being underpaid to work for someone else. That is a very dependent position that is difficult to break away from.

BTW, talent and originally is not what defines if you will be successful. It helps to some degree, but they are not the drivers. But luck and a winning lottery ticket are better drivers.
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wood View Post
    This has been an interesting thread to follow. Some here have been fairly vitriolic towards William Carr while others have tried to cut him a bit of slack. I'm not a close friend but I've known William Carr for a number of years. I’ve always found him to be cordial and friendly, and not arrogant in one on one conversations.
    As I mentioned, I hoped the PR guys were a little over the top.
    As others here have noted, Carr operates in Las Vegas, a market not known for good taste or elegance. It is a market that includes well-known photographic frauds, whose activities range from strong arming the competition to hiring photographers under NDAs to carry out assignments and then passing the work as their own. Carr, in spite of his over-the-top promotional DVD, exhibits some integrity.
    Who are you accusing of this, and if it is so closely guarded how would you even know about it? I’ve suspected perhaps some of them allow others to do their post work and allow them liberties which means the final interprpestion isn’t really that of the photographer, but that’s nothing like passing someone else’s photography off as their own. Seems a pretty strong accusation - especially the “well known” part of it. I’ve never heard anyone accuse any of them of this.
    Carr understood the demographics of the market he was moving into when he opened his gallery in Las Vegas and he acted accordingly. I suspect there are few of us on this forum that would have the guts,desire/ego or portfolios to financially survive in the Las Vegas market. What we might define as fine art work likely would not be visible above the visual noise and clutter of Las Vegas. Carr has simply chosen to play in an arena where hard ball is the rule.
    Well, he chose the market and assumes the only way to play is by Lik’s rules, so he basically copied that model, right down to the over top self promotion. But Rotella and Wolfe seem to be doing pretty good in a higher end mall with a little lower key self promotion. As far as the rest of us, maybe we couldn’t or choose not to participate, but what’s that got to do with it?
    Why?

As I mentioned, I don’t really care and certainly anyone can do what they want. But I do think he goes too far in the claim to selling 35 million. to me this statement implies very strongly that he has sold 35 million pieces like those hanging on the wall of his gallery, and I find that extremely hard to believe, that’s a huge number. So it’s a liberty taken counting other things which to me aren’t similar to imply popularity of his collectible work, and that borders on false advertisement. Maybe I’m wrong, maybe he has grossed hundreds of millions or even billions of dollars and actually owns the miracle mile shops.
    wayne
    My gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW, talent and originally is not what defines if you will be successful.
    And of course being successful doesn’t define talent and ability.
    wayne
    My gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ex-employees tend to spill the beans, particularly if they're angry ex-employees. Let's just say the offenders weren't Rotella or Wolfe.

As for ending this thread, it was only a suggestion as it seemed to be a pile-on over something that was of far less significance than building a fire under Delicate Arch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think we are fine to be honest. More of the struggle here for most is the over the top promotion. Look I would not mind making that kind of money either I think we all would some might take the direction he has taken . As a Pro myself not sure I would go in this direction but I think we all get its a market that is open to this business module. The basic problem here I think that is bugging folks on this forum is his promotion is a lie. Let's be honest here he is stretching things maybe a shade too far. I think that is the underline issue with folks on this forum that don't believe in that kind of markets ing and it's poorly done as well.

Closing the thread if we keep it on the business end I'm fine with it. If it gets too personal than we will look at it. Honestly as a Pro myself that works for commerce I don't want anyone not being able to put food on the table for there family. So. I won't allow personal vendetta stuff. I think everyone on the forum can agree with this. We do have the right to express our opinion but I also have the right for the good of the forum members to shut it down if I need too. Sound good everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW I kicked snow in Mesa arch but it did not freeze the mountain and damage it. ROTFLMAO

I'll have to post that one. It worked nicely

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shot with a Leica M8 and a 12mm lens I believe. 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now that's ART. I'm so freaking good I can't stand myself. I'm really joking here. Lol

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now, as long as you don't throw the lemmings over the cliff, but let them do themselves...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Throwing the lemmings is fine; just don't leave the bodies/skeletons in the frame where generations of future photographers will have to either photoshop them out or (better) make them an additional creative element in the scene.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Or leave film wrappers on the ground....like the Velvia 120 wrapper I found inside a rock formation at Valley of Fire, NV, last week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Charles: AGREED! Ditto polaroid chemistry & wrappers that I came across in DV recently.

Cigarette butts (which I DETEST!!!) I can blame on the public - photographic detritus is even more unforgivable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Or leave film wrappers on the ground....like the Velvia 120 wrapper I found inside a rock formation at Valley of Fire, NV, last week.
    GO green or go home. Rule 2245.4

LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Go clean & tidy or get a beating ...
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 15th February 2014 at 19:18. Reason: Amended since I drive a very un-green camera bag :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shot with a Leica M8 and a 12mm lens I believe. 2008

Hi Guy

Much more important than an overhyped guy with who is more creative with "back-stories" than images, -- IS what 12mm did you use?

For some reason as I have gotten older I have gravitated towards wides.

Thanks so much

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi

Here are some great shots from a living photographer - especially if you like B&W

Spectacular Photos By Photojournalist Sebastião Salgado | Bored Panda

The photos speak for themselves

The post work really matches the images, IMHO

Phil

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phil, unfortunately, the older I get, the wider I get...
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by alajuela View Post
    Hi

Here are some great shots from a living photographer - especially if you like B&W

Spectacular Photos By Photojournalist Sebastião Salgado | Bored Panda

The photos speak for themselves

The post work really matches the images, IMHO

Phil
    Thanks for link Phil; those are remarkable and inspiring.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

GUY-- make it so I can "like" twice.
    Philip
    www.pg-pg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lol

Its a Voightlander 12mm. Its one of those iconic places to shoot. Its a shame I did not have more Mpx in that shot. Have to say it was a very rare trip as it snowed the day we arrived for the workshop and most folks only had M8 been there twice since but never with snow. It's also a bad place to shoot as there usually too many people there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ex-employees tend to spill the beans, particularly if they're angry ex-employees. Let's just say the offenders weren't Rotella or Wolfe.

As for ending this thread, it was only a suggestion as it seemed to be a pile-on over something that was of far less significance than building a fire under Delicate Arch.
    I know Lough pretty well, and he even does all of his own post work. So who does that leave?

I'm not sure ex employees are very reliable, sounds more like office rumors started by disgruntled employees. Most wouldn't be in a position to know, and if disgruntled they could do some serious damage to their former employer if they really knew this for a fact and could prove it so why wouldn't they? Seems there are some pretty serious legal implications passing someone else's work off as your own (Milli Vanilli)

I have heard that one photographer paid a pretty large sum to get one of the malls to choose him instead of someone else as the mall was being built, but that's sort of SOP. Maybe not ethical, but welcome to the world of high end retail landlords.

I know we are trying to lighten this thread up, but personally I find this accusation is pretty out of place.
    wayne
    My gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lol

Its a Voightlander 12mm. Its one of those iconic places to shoot. Its a shame I did not have more Mpx in that shot. Have to say it was a very rare trip as it snowed the day we arrived for the workshop and most folks only had M8 been there twice since but never with snow. It's also a bad place to shoot as there usually too many people there.
    Hi Guy

Thanks

I assume that with the 12mm - we are talking either tripod, or great technique, to stay spot on, 100% parallel to the subject plane. Did you have any color caste, thinking about the X-pro 1

And for the above tip; I offer you this one - iTunes -- Chet Atkins - "The day finger pickers took over the world"

Phil

Post Thanks / Like

This has been an interesting thread to follow. Some here have been fairly vitriolic towards William Carr while others have tried to cut him a bit of slack. I'm not a close friend but I've known William Carr for a number of years. I've always found him to be cordial and friendly, and not arrogant in one on one conversations.

Charles,

Your above seemingly nails who William Carr is and his photography.

Frankly, I fail to understand why a number of posters seemingly slash him over the video, and which in itself does not seem to create credibility to the views at same time shared. The video seems to me an American (exaggerated) marketing for an audience that is used to believing what they watch on TV, thus the video on such terms seem rather well made. It also cannot be easy in that market of having to produce renewed images for sales in such galleries, something I imagine Peter Lik must also be struggling with.

Actually, I for one liked the video and ignored most of the marketing and which is why I made the OP. The video made me simply keen to go out and shoot, which is similar to what I like about Peter Lik's videos.

Having further viewed images on William Carr's website I am not clear on the actual saturation in the originals. On his website many appear to radiate too much for my tastes. I personally do like color, but am of view that there needs to be subtle variation within an image and for the enhancement to come across as a believable.

Personally I believe that we should compare to some of the painted arts, since they have far more history in creating an illusion of reality in colors, hues and light than we do in digital processing.

Above said, because what appear at times radiant colors, I will maintain my favorite list in order of Ansel Adams, Peter Lik, Clyde Butcher, perhaps adding Jack Dykinga, with comment that William Carr do have some images I found very interesting. About Peter Lik, I saw his images in his gallery in Cairns, Australia in 2003 and they left me with a lasting deep impression. Since that time he has made quite a career in photography, perhaps of envy of many.

Best regards,
    Anders

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Frankly, I fail to understand why a number of posters seemingly slash him over the video, and which in itself does not seem to create credibility to the views at same time shared. The video seems to me an American (exaggerated) marketing for an audience that is used to believing what they watch on TV, thus the video on such terms seem rather well made. It also cannot be easy in that market of having to produce renewed images for sales in such galleries, something I imagine Peter Lik must also must be struggling with.

Anders this is exactly what us Americans are objecting too. We DO NOT want to be viewed like some freaking marketing machine by our foreign friends. That is NOT who we are exceptions of course but I certainly don't want to be viewed like that and why all the Americans on this thread hate the ****ing thing. Besides that its a lie and Iwe do not want to viewed as some cheap trick marketing machine to make a buck. I certainly don't . My wife would kill me if I ever said half the boss ting he did. It's not the truth, I object to anyone not telling the truth. It's all a load of crap. We do not want to viewed like that as a nation. Now do you get it. TV is TV no one lives there lives like any bloody TV show ever produced.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy

I wonder if the name of the thread was changed to -

What is high quality photography and when does it become fine art?

Many of the good folk here may have brought to the table interesting views on what they think and feel.

I think Mr William Carr's video kicked off a potentially very worthwhile topic but the topic heading left little room for a positive long term discussion.

Too late now, but there you have it.

Mal

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's only now that I came across this thread and that video, and now that I managed to watch first minute of it I won't be commenting on what others already did, plenty has been said: I find video's opening with hand gliding over wheat field a rip off of opening for movie "Gladiator" and thus very "cheap" / cheesy.