The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

William Carr - Superb

M

mjr

No offence but a pretentious load of old bollocks! Movie voice over, dramatic music, horrible.

Where's the humility? How anyone can call themselves a master of anything amazes me, really truly awful.

Just my opinion of course, others may love this type of thing.

Mat

My personal opinion his images are too poster like. That in a sense is not art. Art has a load of many other things other than aesthetics and form.
ACH

hcubell

No offence but a pretentious load of old bollocks! Movie voice over, dramatic music, horrible.

Where's the humility? How anyone can call themselves a master of anything amazes me, really truly awful.

Just my opinion of course, others may love this type of thing.

Mat
I agree, but the guy is trying to earn a living as a landscape photographer, so I take it with a grain of salt. Self promotion in terms that you or I may laugh at seems to actually work. Peter Lik is Exhibit A. I am familiar with the work of a number of landscape photographers who are so much better than these guys, but struggle to make a living at it because they are either incapable of aggressive self promotion or unwilling to do it.

torger

The style is quite similar to Peter Lik and Rodney Lough jr, both in image style and in promotion. Some like it, some don't.

Shashin

Wow! I have never heard so many cliches and platitudes in a ten minute production as this. Personally, the hard sell turns me off, but the guy is just trying to make a living and if this gets to his target audience, then it works.

As far as the work, well that is personal taste. The problem is the disconnect between what is said about it and what it is. But this is a commercial. Coke does not go on TV and says that their drinks are as good as any you can find and will probably make you fat if you have too much.

And their is precedent. Weegee stamped the back of his photographs with "Credit photo by Weegee the Famous." Although I have a feeling it was more tongue in cheek.

hcubell

I have now watched the entirety of this video. The only part of it that I found impressive was that he kept a straight face throughout. I thought for sure at several points that he would burst into laughter and confess that he was goofing on the viewers.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Folks, it's got to be a joke. I only watched the first minute or so, but it is so 'Ron Burgundy' cheesy, there has to be a punchline at the end of the schtick. Tell me there's a punchline. If there isn't, -- nevermind, I need to adopt Guy's posture now and be nice.

Anders_HK

Some like it, some don't.
Agree with Torger.

The video is not mere commercial, but is about and speaks of his images as ART. My impression is that as ART his images are superb and that is what impressed me.

Some may see it, some may appreciate it, some dont.

As ART, my personal favorites are by landscape photographers, in order:
- Ansel Adams
- Peter Lik
- Clyde Butcher
- William Carr (now added)

Wanna shoot me? :)

BR, Anders

---

P.S. Admittedly ART can be controversial, yet can that not be discussed more politely?

Ken_R

Folks, it's got to be a joke. I only watched the first minute or so, but it is so 'Ron Burgundy' cheesy, there has to be a punchline at the end of the schtick. Tell me there's a punchline. If there isn't, -- nevermind, I need to adopt Guy's posture now and be nice.
+1

drevil

Staff member
last man standing :banghead:

if you have nothing nice to say...say nothing at all...

but i have to be honest, just rediculous, thousands of faces, called art consultants, praising him into heaven, you see him in the woods, making the impression he really really really needs to pee.....gosh i dont wanna continue.

just a big show

stephengilbert

I have no comment on Carr's work -- 35 million copies of which he claims to have sold -- but I can't imagine Clyde Butcher describing himself as Carr does: "Once in a lifetime an Artist appears and amasses a body of work that captures the perfection of creation and the truth of beauty that resides in every rock, cloud and ray of light."

Last edited:

fotografz

Thomas Kinkade, "Painter of Light" comes to mind. Work intent and self-promotion seems similar.

"American painter of popular, realistic bucolic and idyllic subjects."

Also notable for his "genius at identifying the needs and desires of his target audience".

So, Carr gets to travel all over the place with his (expensive) camera and make a living (probably a good one), be in nature and revel in it, apparently believes in what he is doing, and so does his audience.

Not a bad life I suppose.

Not my cup of tea, but I would begrudge anyone what looks to be a pretty good life.

- Marc

GlenC

I found if I turned the volume all the way down and just focused on the photographs I thought most of them were excellent and a few were stunning, especially the sunrise at the north rim of the grand canyon. It's too bad the "art experts", especially the woman, were such turn-off's. I guess his style isn't for everyone but I found his images very enjoyable.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I found if I turned the volume all the way down and just focused on the photographs I thought most of them were excellent and a few were stunning, especially the sunrise at the north rim of the grand canyon. It's too bad the "art experts", especially the woman, were such turn-off's. I guess his style isn't for everyone but I found his images very enjoyable.
My advice get rid of the narrator immediately and the art consultant crap and just show the work. Frankly as a Artist let your work speak not some freaking hype about how good you are. Stupid marketing that does not work well with photography.

As a artist myself . I would never be so presumptuous to tell ANYONE how good I am in ANY situation. Let my work talk for me. Now for marketing you could say something how you feel as a artist and the environment around you but that needs to be worded so very carefully and you could easily jump the line if your not very careful. Bottom line you don't want a sales pitch. At least for me and my humble opinion.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sorry I could not keep my mouth shut and I do this for commerce and understand the desire to make money but to me this is a extremely fine line of artist vs. marketing.

This turned me off from what really counts is his work but within 10 seconds I was ready to turn it off.