The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

William Carr - Superb

tsjanik

........... But it is my experience that in the US it is more acceptable to say "I am the best" or "My experience is unique/unrivaled" and that people actually expect you to say that, whereas in other parts of the world that is likely off-putting.

The US is a very diverse place, but I'm comfortable in saying your comment is not true for the majority, certainly not for most of the people I've known. I assume you are basing this comment on impressions from people in marketing and entertainment; it's unfortunate that you extrapolate your experience to an entire nation. That most of the US posters in this thread find William Carr's self-aggrandizing video distasteful should tell you something.

Tom

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Re: William Carr - Superb?? Nope, generic nicely executed & presented

Exactly, you can spot an Ansel, Butcher, Eggleston, Shore, Crewdson, Weston, Porter etc a mile off. They aren't all duplicating each other's spectacular shot of an iconic location. I much prefer the likes of Charles Cramer, William Neil, and many others who have a body of work that consists of great images of intimate landscapes that any of us could trip over but they present beautifully as art.

I'm not a great fan of Ansel's work as a whole (sorry) but he does have some uniquely Ansel Adams images that I respect enormously. Ditto the other folks I mentioned. The likes of Lik and Carr (who for all of his 'fame' I'd never even heard of before this thread and amusing video) are money making machines for the decorator market. That's fine and good luck to them but please don't insult our intelligence with the 35m images sold etc because if most of us have never seen them they can't have been that memorable.

doug

Wow! I have never heard so many cliches and platitudes in a ten minute production as this.
+1

I've reserved comment until I had an opportunity to watch the video & look at his website. The video is IMHO vomit-worthy, but it's advertising and as such isn't much different from broadcast TV ads (most of which are likewise vomit-worthy).

About his photos… there are a few I like but none strike me as unique enough to justify 1/10 of the hype and art-speak on the video. They're nice post cards. I don't see a unique William Carr style in them.

Shashin

Re: William Carr - Superb?? Nope, generic nicely executed & presented

Exactly, you can spot an Ansel, Butcher, Eggleston, Shore, Crewdson, Weston, Porter etc a mile off. They aren't all duplicating each other's spectacular shot of an iconic location. I much prefer the likes of Charles Cramer, William Neil, and many others who have a body of work that consists of great images of intimate landscapes that any of us could trip over but they present beautifully as art.

I'm not a great fan of Ansel's work as a whole (sorry) but he does have some uniquely Ansel Adams images that I respect enormously. Ditto the other folks I mentioned. The likes of Lik and Carr (who for all of his 'fame' I'd never even heard of before this thread and amusing video) are money making machines for the decorator market. That's fine and good luck to them but please don't insult our intelligence with the 35m images sold etc because if most of us have never seen them they can't have been that memorable.
I bet you you never mistake a promo video from William Carr with someone else...

BlinkingEye

Since Mr. Carr has been compared to Clyde Butcher, I thought people might want to look at a video or two about Clyde: http://www.clydebutcher.com/videos

Not quite like Mr. Carr's.

I have has the fortunate circumstance to have spent about 1/2 an hour with Clyde and his wife Niki, two on one, if you will, at one of the street painting festivals, my wife participates in. I was graced with them and the opportunity to discuss photography while showing them around the festival and introducing them to a few of the better street painting artist, my wife included. Anyway, the point in the context of this thread and the comment above is that Clyde and Niki are two of nicest, most paid back people you will ever meet. Free and easy with the information, too. Clearly, Clyde has gotten to the point in his career and to an age where he wants to give back. Peace.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have has the fortunate circumstance to have spent about 1/2 an hour with Clyde and his wife Niki, two on one, if you will, at one of the street painting festivals, my wife participates in. I was graced with them and the opportunity to discuss photography while showing them around the festival and introducing them to a few of the better street painting artist, my wife included. Anyway, the point in the context of this thread and the comment above is that Clyde and Niki are two of nicest, most paid back people you will ever meet. Free and easy with the information, too. Clearly, Clyde has gotten to the point in his career and to an age where he wants to give back. Peace.
I have a enormous amount of respect for photographers that want to give back to the photo community. I know I try my hardest.

Charles Wood

This has been an interesting thread to follow. Some here have been fairly vitriolic towards William Carr while others have tried to cut him a bit of slack. I'm not a close friend but I've known William Carr for a number of years. I've always found him to be cordial and friendly, and not arrogant in one on one conversations.

As others here have noted, Carr operates in Las Vegas, a market not known for good taste or elegance. It is a market that includes well-known photographic frauds, whose activities range from strong arming the competition to hiring photographers under NDAs to carry out assignments and then passing the work as their own. Carr, in spite of his over-the-top promotional DVD, exhibits some integrity.

Carr understood the demographics of the market he was moving into when he opened his gallery in Las Vegas and he acted accordingly. I suspect there are few of us on this forum that would have the guts,desire/ego or portfolios to financially survive in the Las Vegas market. What we might define as fine art work likely would not be visible above the visual noise and clutter of Las Vegas. Carr has simply chosen to play in an arena where hard ball is the rule.

It's probably time for Guy to end this thread.

Shashin

Charles, I don't think there is a reason to close the thread because you have actually nailed the hammer on the head. Professionals have to make money. Market forces are part of that business. And when your business is in more creative fields, then this is much more complex.

What do photographers do to become financially successful? Now, it easiest way to to simply be wealthy from the beginning. Many of the most successful photographers we know did not actually have to earn their living. And this is true for other arts. It is one of those unspoken secrets. But if you actually have to make your money and your have no other resources, the field can be difficult to work in. Many will start by being underpaid to work for someone else. That is a very dependent position that is difficult to break away from.

BTW, talent and originally is not what defines if you will be successful. It helps to some degree, but they are not the drivers. But luck and a winning lottery ticket are better drivers.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
This has been an interesting thread to follow. Some here have been fairly vitriolic towards William Carr while others have tried to cut him a bit of slack. I'm not a close friend but I've known William Carr for a number of years. I’ve always found him to be cordial and friendly, and not arrogant in one on one conversations.
As I mentioned, I hoped the PR guys were a little over the top.
As others here have noted, Carr operates in Las Vegas, a market not known for good taste or elegance. It is a market that includes well-known photographic frauds, whose activities range from strong arming the competition to hiring photographers under NDAs to carry out assignments and then passing the work as their own. Carr, in spite of his over-the-top promotional DVD, exhibits some integrity.
Who are you accusing of this, and if it is so closely guarded how would you even know about it? I’ve suspected perhaps some of them allow others to do their post work and allow them liberties which means the final interprpestion isn’t really that of the photographer, but that’s nothing like passing someone else’s photography off as their own. Seems a pretty strong accusation - especially the “well known” part of it. I’ve never heard anyone accuse any of them of this.
Carr understood the demographics of the market he was moving into when he opened his gallery in Las Vegas and he acted accordingly. I suspect there are few of us on this forum that would have the guts,desire/ego or portfolios to financially survive in the Las Vegas market. What we might define as fine art work likely would not be visible above the visual noise and clutter of Las Vegas. Carr has simply chosen to play in an arena where hard ball is the rule.
Well, he chose the market and assumes the only way to play is by Lik’s rules, so he basically copied that model, right down to the over top self promotion. But Rotella and Wolfe seem to be doing pretty good in a higher end mall with a little lower key self promotion. As far as the rest of us, maybe we couldn’t or choose not to participate, but what’s that got to do with it?
It's probably time for Guy to end this thread.
Why?

As I mentioned, I don’t really care and certainly anyone can do what they want. But I do think he goes too far in the claim to selling 35 million. to me this statement implies very strongly that he has sold 35 million pieces like those hanging on the wall of his gallery, and I find that extremely hard to believe, that’s a huge number. So it’s a liberty taken counting other things which to me aren’t similar to imply popularity of his collectible work, and that borders on false advertisement. Maybe I’m wrong, maybe he has grossed hundreds of millions or even billions of dollars and actually owns the miracle mile shops.

Charles Wood

Ex-employees tend to spill the beans, particularly if they're angry ex-employees. Let's just say the offenders weren't Rotella or Wolfe.

As for ending this thread, it was only a suggestion as it seemed to be a pile-on over something that was of far less significance than building a fire under Delicate Arch.

Guy Mancuso

I think we are fine to be honest. More of the struggle here for most is the over the top promotion. Look I would not mind making that kind of money either I think we all would some might take the direction he has taken . As a Pro myself not sure I would go in this direction but I think we all get its a market that is open to this business module. The basic problem here I think that is bugging folks on this forum is his promotion is a lie. Let's be honest here he is stretching things maybe a shade too far. I think that is the underline issue with folks on this forum that don't believe in that kind of markets ing and it's poorly done as well.

Closing the thread if we keep it on the business end I'm fine with it. If it gets too personal than we will look at it. Honestly as a Pro myself that works for commerce I don't want anyone not being able to put food on the table for there family. So. I won't allow personal vendetta stuff. I think everyone on the forum can agree with this. We do have the right to express our opinion but I also have the right for the good of the forum members to shut it down if I need too. Sound good everyone.

Guy Mancuso

BTW I kicked snow in Mesa arch but it did not freeze the mountain and damage it. ROTFLMAO

I'll have to post that one. It worked nicely