Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: William Carr - Superb

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Re: William Carr - Superb

No offence but a pretentious load of old bollocks! Movie voice over, dramatic music, horrible.

Where's the humility? How anyone can call themselves a master of anything amazes me, really truly awful.

Just my opinion of course, others may love this type of thing.

Mat
    http://matrichardson.com/
    Workshops for 2018! http://www.matrichardson.com/workshops
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My personal opinion his images are too poster like. That in a sense is not art. Art has a load of many other things other than aesthetics and form.
    ACH
    www.achdigital.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    No offence but a pretentious load of old bollocks! Movie voice over, dramatic music, horrible.

Where's the humility? How anyone can call themselves a master of anything amazes me, really truly awful.

Just my opinion of course, others may love this type of thing.

Mat
    I agree, but the guy is trying to earn a living as a landscape photographer, so I take it with a grain of salt. Self promotion in terms that you or I may laugh at seems to actually work. Peter Lik is Exhibit A. I am familiar with the work of a number of landscape photographers who are so much better than these guys, but struggle to make a living at it because they are either incapable of aggressive self promotion or unwilling to do it.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com

Post Thanks / Like

The style is quite similar to Peter Lik and Rodney Lough jr, both in image style and in promotion. Some like it, some don't.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow! I have never heard so many cliches and platitudes in a ten minute production as this. Personally, the hard sell turns me off, but the guy is just trying to make a living and if this gets to his target audience, then it works.

As far as the work, well that is personal taste. The problem is the disconnect between what is said about it and what it is. But this is a commercial. Coke does not go on TV and says that their drinks are as good as any you can find and will probably make you fat if you have too much.

And their is precedent. Weegee stamped the back of his photographs with "Credit photo by Weegee the Famous." Although I have a feeling it was more tongue in cheek.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Perhaps we could give The William Carr Award to the most pretentious and pompous post of the month or year?
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have now watched the entirety of this video. The only part of it that I found impressive was that he kept a straight face throughout. I thought for sure at several points that he would burst into laughter and confess that he was goofing on the viewers.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm trying to be nice.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Folks, it's got to be a joke. I only watched the first minute or so, but it is so 'Ron Burgundy' cheesy, there has to be a punchline at the end of the schtick. Tell me there's a punchline. If there isn't, -- nevermind, I need to adopt Guy's posture now and be nice.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    Some like it, some don't.
    Agree with Torger.

The video is not mere commercial, but is about and speaks of his images as ART. My impression is that as ART his images are superb and that is what impressed me.

Some may see it, some may appreciate it, some dont.

As ART, my personal favorites are by landscape photographers, in order:
    - Ansel Adams
    - Peter Lik
    - Clyde Butcher
    - William Carr (now added)

Wanna shoot me?

BR, Anders

---

P.S. Admittedly ART can be controversial, yet can that not be discussed more politely?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Folks, it's got to be a joke. I only watched the first minute or so, but it is so 'Ron Burgundy' cheesy, there has to be a punchline at the end of the schtick. Tell me there's a punchline. If there isn't, -- nevermind, I need to adopt Guy's posture now and be nice.
    +1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

last man standing

if you have nothing nice to say...say nothing at all...

but i have to be honest, just rediculous, thousands of faces, called art consultants, praising him into heaven, you see him in the woods, making the impression he really really really needs to pee.....gosh i dont wanna continue.

just a big show

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have no comment on Carr's work -- 35 million copies of which he claims to have sold -- but I can't imagine Clyde Butcher describing himself as Carr does: "Once in a lifetime an Artist appears and amasses a body of work that captures the perfection of creation and the truth of beauty that resides in every rock, cloud and ray of light."
    Last edited by stephengilbert; 13th February 2014 at 04:05.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thomas Kinkade, "Painter of Light" comes to mind. Work intent and self-promotion seems similar.

"American painter of popular, realistic bucolic and idyllic subjects."

Also notable for his "genius at identifying the needs and desires of his target audience".

So, Carr gets to travel all over the place with his (expensive) camera and make a living (probably a good one), be in nature and revel in it, apparently believes in what he is doing, and so does his audience.

Not a bad life I suppose.

Not my cup of tea, but I would begrudge anyone what looks to be a pretty good life.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I found if I turned the volume all the way down and just focused on the photographs I thought most of them were excellent and a few were stunning, especially the sunrise at the north rim of the grand canyon. It's too bad the "art experts", especially the woman, were such turn-off's. I guess his style isn't for everyone but I found his images very enjoyable.

Post Thanks / Like

Real landscape photographers use a cable release.
    Rob
    www.robbuckle.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GlenC View Post
    I found if I turned the volume all the way down and just focused on the photographs I thought most of them were excellent and a few were stunning, especially the sunrise at the north rim of the grand canyon. It's too bad the "art experts", especially the woman, were such turn-off's. I guess his style isn't for everyone but I found his images very enjoyable.
    My advice get rid of the narrator immediately and the art consultant crap and just show the work. Frankly as a Artist let your work speak not some freaking hype about how good you are. Stupid marketing that does not work well with photography.

As a artist myself . I would never be so presumptuous to tell ANYONE how good I am in ANY situation. Let my work talk for me. Now for marketing you could say something how you feel as a artist and the environment around you but that needs to be worded so very carefully and you could easily jump the line if your not very careful. Bottom line you don't want a sales pitch. At least for me and my humble opinion.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry I could not keep my mouth shut and I do this for commerce and understand the desire to make money but to me this is a extremely fine line of artist vs. marketing.

This turned me off from what really counts is his work but within 10 seconds I was ready to turn it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Decent work, crappy video and horrible narration.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am glad I clicked the link. I then watched the video for a minute. It's good but not great.
    I then saw another link and watched the video for non-stopped 33 minutes. After watching, I know exactly whom I want to become. The best photography VDO I've ever watched. Most of you've probably watched it.

Ansel Adams BBC Master Photographers (1983) - YouTube

It's just an inspirational to watch a great human being talking about something you've passionated with.

After watching, I am ready for my busy schedule today!

Thanks for the link!

Pramote

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There's some nice photography, but not as innovative as the narrator would have you believe. Self promotion is a skill all on its own, but in this context it painted a more sordid sense of prominence.

Let the photography speak for itself....and not that narrator guy!

Post Thanks / Like

All the anti posts surprise me and made me go back and watch the video two more times... I guess following puts thumb on what I am drawn to in his work...

@ 5:05; Fine Art Consultant "The brushlike quality, the painterliness of great artists is something also found in William’s work, and this is also what separates the aesthetically pleasing from the technical correct photographs.", William Carr: "Using the camera as a paintbrush in a sense, that allows you to do brush strokes, and those brush strokes in terms of the lighting and the composition, and the shutter speed and how you can slow the water down, that is the difference and that is when an artist transcends from being a snapshots photographer to an artist."

I find the above pretty well narrow down why I also like Ansel Adams, Peter Lik and Clyde Butcher, as works of fine art.

Difference in opinion are obvious... it would have been interesting if GetDpi was around in Ansel's time to gage the fellow photography community... perhaps it would have been looked down on that he used expensive lens?

Lets run a survey, how many here like Andreas Gursky, hands up?

Can we still be friends???

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I too, just had to watch the video again...with closed doors and shades drawn! Again, I think the guy has talent, but the video starts with saying he's a musician! Then further in the video mentions that once a photo is taken, no other embellishments can take place. Does that include post production and generous amounts of HDR? Gursky is a great digital photographer, but he has a unique, original style that does resonate. I once saw a painter at a summer festival and this artist was a true master - almost Vermeer quality. Each painting took weeks or longer to create, and he was selling original works for less than most limited edition photographs. Having an exaggerated sense of your importance diminishes the quality of the art because your implying the viewer can't make that determination on their own.

As a side note to William Carr...narrate the video with your own words and voice. It's more personal and compelling. We'll sense your devotion and interpret for ourselves what it means to be a master.

Post Thanks / Like

Please! Most of his art is in a postcard rack around Vegas for 1.25. He should at least be honest instead of implying his sales are fine art prints sold.

Some if his stuff is good while most of it is average. Same as most photographers myself included.

The postcard market went in the toilet so he opened his gallery at which time he didn't even have a website. More power to him, I hopes he sells a bundle as well as anyone on this site. The more fine photography is accepted the better it is for all of us.
    Ed Cooley Fine Art Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One thing is for certain, and that's he's quite full of himself.

It sort of reminds me of a (rather narcissistic) photographer on another popular site that a few years ago wrote about how they had made "millions of dollars" in the fine art photography market, and furthermore was willing to impart his vast wisdom on us plebeians, and all we had to do was buy his $1000 DVD -- the article included a portrait of him standing next to an old Ferrari of some sort. Anyway, several readers took him to task right away, slamming him for the arrogance. I reminded them that over a 30 year career, $1,000,001 dollars amounted to about $33,500 per year net income, not really a lot to brag about. In the end, all that braggadocio accomplished was killing off a significant portion of his credibility. I think this guy Carr has perhaps succumbed to a similar case of poor judgement...
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Im banning myself further here.

but I will say I am getting bugged very much lately whats going on outside this forum with regard too arrogance. Please shoot me if I EVER get like that. Well at least tell me. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    Please! Most of his art is in a postcard rack around Vegas for 1.25. He should at least be honest instead of implying his sales are fine art prints sold.

Some if his stuff is good while most of it is average. Same as most photographers myself included....

... The more fine photography is accepted the better it is for all of us.
    +1

Good points. Hard to say whether or not your last statement is true, only time will tell.

I see photography in general as being and has always been the bastard step child of the art world. The mere notion of photographs being painterly or looking like a painting doesn't do much to help either as opposed to standing on their own two feet for what they are. It was at about this time in the video when the lady is discussing his photography as paintings I couldn't take it anymore and turned it off. As long as we all allow our photographs and photography in general to be considered as emulating paintings (or some other art form), we've already lost cause… raison d'être.

Pretentious might be an understatement.

Oddly enough and for what ever reason film making does not seem to suffer this same anomaly or lack of respect in the art world. I can't recall ever anyone comparing a film of any kind to a painting or any other form of artwork.

It amazes me so many made it to the end of thing, let alone more than once.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Forget the music; forget the narration. I thought some of his images were unquestionably excellent and am really surprised at some of the comments to the contrary. Happy to see he was using a Hasselblad.

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously, it's so self-aggrandizing and syrupy it's almost a parody of itself. It requires a large self-image to not be embarrassed by such hyperbole about oneself... and work, no matter how good the work is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rsmphoto View Post
    Seriously, it's so self-aggrandizing and syrupy it's almost a parody of itself.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing . . . I detect a certain degree of snobbishness here that I have also felt in other threads. I love this forum, but find this aspect of it somewhat disappointing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cerett,

IMHO and speaking for myself only: I feel it's one thing to be a good photographer, but quite another to come off so incredibly arrogant that you are tantamount to T H E god of art. And in this case, the latter is so prevalent in this guy's video, it turns me off to his art no matter how good it may have been -- I simply could not stand it to stay with it long enough for him to get around to showing his actual art... My point is that to my mind, a discussion like this one helps other photographers avoid considering that type of self aggrandizement and promotion even a remotely good idea...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

The boasting self-promoting style shown in that video doesn't work around here, actually when I first saw it with sound I thought it was some sort of parody. Here in Sweden we're fascinated by American culture, and parodies by going over-the-top but pretending to be serious and using that kind of movie trailer voice is quite popular. And fun.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Technically well presented images although I didn't see anything original to be honest. Lots of trophy wall hangers well executed by the look of it but ultimately it's clones of work that others have done (to be honest, we've all done them!). From a commercial perspective it sells lifestyle art work / decoration that you see in most hospitals and Dr's offices & on the walls of trophy homes. Nothing wrong with that but let's just call it what it is.

I didn't get any sense of his own vision or style. I've seen every single one of those locations (and to be honest the images) before. I got no sense of a "William Carr" image.

The narration and production just makes me want to cringe but ultimately perception is everything and if it gets him business and financial success then good for him. However, it left me cold and was over the top.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 13th February 2014 at 10:58.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting this link. It's a nice way to show how you can destroy your credibility and possibly lose most self respect thanks to a mere 10min video.
    First the "epic" narration (more like epic fail) then the overly dramatic music, mantra like repetition of contradictory artsy bullcrap talk and finally some no name fine art consultants who describe your work as "painterly"? Seriously? I could only watch that to the end because I expected it to be a joke!

Btw, I understand "painterly" in combination with landscape photography more like "not sharp enough" to get a decent print. Maybe that's his style and the reason he's not using a cable release? Alright, I'll take that back; A cable release is not necessary, the built in self timer works quite nicely.
    Nevertheless, there were a lot of images I've already seen before taken by other photographers but I've not seen any "original" images. At least no interesting ones...

I'm at the very beginning of my career (and don't aim to become a fine art photographer anyway) and may have not accomplished that much to judge him this harsh. Perhaps he will sell some more images thanks to this vid and have finanicially speaking more success than me, but at least I'm planning to keep my dignity.

"He is truely guided by the light." - More like guided by a marketing consultant. Ahh, whatever. At least it shows that you're never old enough to make a fool out of yourself..
    Last edited by MaxKißler; 13th February 2014 at 11:29.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Cerett,

IMHO and speaking for myself only: I feel it's one thing to be a good photographer, but quite another to come off so incredibly arrogant that you are tantamount to T H E god of art. And in this case, the latter is so prevalent in this guy's video, it turns me off to his art no matter how good it may have been -- I simply could not stand it to stay with it long enough for him to get around to showing his actual art... My point is that to my mind, a discussion like this one helps other photographers avoid considering that type of self aggrandizement and promotion even a remotely good idea...
    Jack,

I appreciate what you are saying and my comment was not made with you in mind. I pretty much looked at his images and ignored everything else. Quite honestly, I wish I had taken a couple of them. I still feel that there are times when some of the comments (here and elsewhere) are a bit snobbish and elitist. However, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I do love this forum.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My humility prevents me from telling you how great I really am...
    Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, my wife tells me I've lots to be humble about...
    Bill CB

www.billcaulfeild-browne.ca
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys,
    i have seen his photos and from Peter Lik. The both have very similar photos. They are both in Vegas and some objects (like the marble tree) are indentical. My question: Who of them has this ideas first? Or none of them...I dont know..

In my opinion we talk about art. And i think in art is everything permitted if you dont harm somebody. I think that there are a lot of pictures out there which are much more worse than the pix from Carr. And in a free world i am happy with different opinions about art. This is inspiring.

Sorry english is not my native language and i hope you could understand this. :-)
    Mueller

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Images are nice. However, his site is just as pretentious as his video. For example, his blog would have you believe that he finds outstanding locations and sights as he travels and that these are spontaneous hidden locations. This is an example:

William Carr discovers the most photographed tree in the Pacific NW!! (my title not his)

Since I live just down the road I can tell you EXACTLY where this is ... and it's in the Japanese Garden in Portland. Now it's a nice image and all that but his description is all about BS, sorry, aspirational marketing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gee, Graham, the fact that thousands of photographers have shot that tree doesn't mean Carr didn't discover it. He just never knew about it before.

I didn't look, but did he "discover it" on some other photographer's website?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To support a gallery in Vegas I suppose that he has to compete with Lik et al which means the same images, the same super saturation and the same expensive illuminated print techniques.

Now I must admit that Peter Lik's gallery in Death Valley Junction almost put me in the ditch as his prints radiated out of his tiny gallery building as I drove by the side of the road there. Like I said, I don't have any problems with these technically perfect super saturated decoration pieces but please don't describe them as wonderful moments that happen once in a lifetime. Yes, yes, I know, I'm just an old fart ...

They are pretty though and I'd give one to a relative as a gift

Post Thanks / Like

With all due respect to my fellow Getdpi members from the US--and in particular Guy and Jack who founded this great forum--this video is sooooo American. A loud, over the top, kitsch, hard sell, that ticks any cliche one could possibly imagine: the dramatic music, the silhouette of the photographer with his tripod and camera mounted walking in the sunset (would you carry a $30+k mounted on the tripod over the shoulder ), the cinema voice, the "art consultant" (to make folks feel comfortable to pay big dollars for what's effectively a mass product), and best of all, the last man standing in Grand Canyon (funny that the light in the video is so much different from the light in the photo that he was supposed to have taken there).

As to his photos, several of them are actually good (and some of them I wish I had taken). But I see nothing unique and nothing that touches me. Sure, they are "art" (what is not art these days?). But like the video, they are "loud" and there is nothing original and no concept (other than showing something that's beautiful and enhancing the colors). Nothing wrong with that, of course. But, in my view, this does not even get close to the latest water series from Burtinsky or, to take a less well known example, the Course of History series of Bart Michiels. These are photos that speak to me much more.

So much for the video's message that this guy is the greatest living photo artist. But I am sure he sells well, and if promoting sales is what this video is all about, and if that works (and I think it may actually work as there are too many folks with too much money who love these shots), all credit to him (or his head of marketing).
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Georg
    My new website (under construction) at Zenfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is the problem is we don't want you to think this is sooooo American because that's not how most of us are. Its cheesy **** with crust on top. That's the real problem here. I know I don't want our foreign friends to think we are this cheesy . I'm certainly not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cerett View Post
    Jack,

I appreciate what you are saying and my comment was not made with you in mind. I pretty much looked at his images and ignored everything else. Quite honestly, I wish I had taken a couple of them. I still feel that there are times when some of the comments (here and elsewhere) are a bit snobbish and elitist. However, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I do love this forum.
    You should read the Leica threads...especially the S2 owners

Post Thanks / Like

It's the "no further embellishment can take place " comment that reeks. Art is an interpretation that takes many forms and medium, but he seems to imply that these photos are all captured in camera through the gift of nature and chance. The Japanese maple seems to have liberal amounts of an HDR program as do other photos in his gallery.

I think the video promotes the narrator more than anything!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm often multitasking on my computer so I had it muted the entire time and saw only the images.

While I do think a lot of them were very good, of course art is open to subjectivity, and so anyone may have positive or negative reactions to the work itself.

I'm quite glad I didn't actually hear the guy's narration now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Here is the problem is we don't want you to think this is sooooo American because that's not how most of us are. Its cheesy **** with crust on top. That's the real problem here. I know I don't want our foreign friends to think we are this cheesy . I'm certainly not.
    I know you are not (if I thought you guys were I would not hang out here).

I have many US friends and since over 12 years work for and with Americans. The marketing and sales are just much "louder" that what most Europeans accept. Of course I am generalizing here--I know that. But it is my experience that in the US it is more acceptable to say "I am the best" or "My experience is unique/unrivaled" and that people actually expect you to say that, whereas in other parts of the world that is likely off-putting.

This video in my view is a hard sell directed at Americans with enough dough to pay his prices, which makes sense because the market for this type of photography is much bigger in the US than anywhere else. And I think it actually will help him to sell.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Georg
    My new website (under construction) at Zenfolio