The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Urgent Help (on Road!): 645AF / IQ180 Mirror locked-Up!!

mark-vdi

Hi any help here greatly appreciated since on the road (1st day of 10 day shoot - Iceland) Mirror has locked up on the PhaseOne 645AF - it says the DB is 'Busy' the digital back says there is no camera! I have switched on/off all combinations / disconnected back / lens / removed batteries in every combination I can think of - Mirror is refusing to come down. Am I doing something stupid? Is there a possible hard reset?

Thanks in advance! Mark

mark-vdi

Hi John, don't know because I can't get the back to go passed the "No camera interface #401" error page . . . (not my camera = rented) I was told: 'not absolutely the most recent but should be ok . . .'

Cheers, Mark

kdphotography

If you have the latest fw 5.10.1, the IQ180 is no longer compatible with the Phase AF and earlier bodies. You can downgrade the firmware to 5.00.51 and you should be okay.

You can access firmware in my Dropbox here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/258ngmkjxewo04e/fHEftLJnUM

You will need to make sure the MFDB is removed from the camera body whenever making updates/changes to firmware. Clean formatted CF, Copy firmware to CF, insert into MFDB and turn on. Scroll to menu to update firmware.

Otherwise, try removing all batteries for about 10 seconds; remove the back and remove the lens---and reassemble.

ken

Last edited:

kdphotography

I assume you're not using the new Li-ion battery in the Phase AF?? Change your batteries in the camera body. Use Energizer lithium AAs. If your AA batteries are low, you can experience difficulties, including a locked shutter. I would not use rechargeable AA batteries either.

Shutter should reset once fresh new batteries are inserted.

ken

mark-vdi

Hi Ken, although I am now able to access the back, it is not recognising the firmware 5.00.51 that was in your dropbox as a valid update . . .

mark-vdi

No batteries in body are new 'standard' 'high energy' AAs . . . taking out and replacing doesn't trigger shutter release . . .

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Based on your description the body is probably fine but you have a significant issue with the firmware.

1) Take the back off the body
2) Take the battery out of the back
3) Hold down the top left and top right buttons on the back
4) While still doing #3, put the battery in the back (I realize this is not easy with two hands, much easier with a friend, but you can use your leg and do it solo).
5) Wait until the back brings up the firmware restore indication and wait for that to complete.

The actions above are a failsafe to restore the firmware installed at the factory. Chances are maybe 50/50 this will make your kit work again.

mark-vdi

So . . . doning the above didn't seem to have any effect . . . it didn't trigger the update but having done this as soon as I put the back onto the camera and turned it on, the shutter released and the mirror dropped - it has allowed me to take a couple of pictures !

Many, many thanks for your very quick support!!

:) Mark :)

Paul2660

Not sure on the mirror issue, it's normal for the shutter to lock open with a back off. Even putting the back back on the camera will not release the shutter until you power up the digital back. On the back is powered on and the camera is turned on the shutter should close.

Paul C

AaronK

My 645AF doesn't release the shutter until everything is powered up AND I half press the shutter button (using IQ backs). Shutter open with the back off is normal, intended to protect the shutter blades.

If the menu system works on the back when it's not mounted to the camera, you can also restore factory firmware through the user interface.

Firmware 5.00.51 (June 2013) works fine with my IQ140 and the 645AF. The factory default firmware also works fine, with some screen refresh artifacts and other bugbears that don't affect picture taking. Firmware 5.00.51 is solid, with only a minor lock up every few hundred shots. When in doubt take both batteries out, count to 10, and then power up again.

I see "DB Busy" messages a lot, but ignore them, and the camera and back still work fine together. I usually just slow down a little more