Site Sponsors

Thread: Did Firewire tethered with IQ backs stop working with MBP Retina?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Did Firewire tethered with IQ backs stop working with MBP Retina?

Am I missing something here? I can not get firewire tethering to work with my new MBP Retina, using the Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter going to the IQ 140 back. The back shows charging for a few seconds, but C1Pro does never recognize the back.

MBP running 10.9.1, IQ firmware 5.10.1, C1Pro 7.2, Firewire cable as shipped with back (also works fine with older MBP with direct firewire port.) Did I miss an announcement or something? Is it the Apple connector? Maybe I have to use USB3 now? If so, can anyone recommend a good cable. Thanks in advance.

Cheers, -Peter
    Alpa TC STC | IQ140 | 24XL 35XL 120N-ASPH
    www.peterlomdahl.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Did Firewire tethered with IQ backs stop working with MBP Retina?

You'll need a battery in the back. Otherwise no issues should be expected using a properly functioning FW-TB adapter and a properly functioning TB port and a properly functioning FW cable - should just work.

If you're still having issues once the battery is in, turn off charging in the digital backs power management menu. If you're still having problems try another computer, adapter, and FW cable. If you're still having problems work with your dealer to troubleshoot them.

I used my Retina MBP with a dozen or two IQ backs. I'm a very lucky man to get such great toys to play with .
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter

Did the IQ140 not ship with a USB3 cable ? Phase uses a fairly unique USB3 socket on the camera. I have only seen one other product that uses it the Drobo 5D. I am assuming the socket/plug is designed to carry more power than the standard USB3 cable. I would recommend using the Phase cable a dealer should be able to sell one if you don't have it.

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Doug for the quick reply. The back has battery in it, and as I said - shows charging for a few seconds, and then goes back to running off regular battery power. I'll try the power management trick. MBP and Apple TB adapter works fine with other external devices, as does cable.

Cheers, -Peter
    www.peterlomdahl.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Paul - no the back is a few years old, and USB was not working at the time, and I did not get a USB cable, only FW800. So the USB cable is special?! - I thought it was a standard AB cable?

Cheers, -Peter
    www.peterlomdahl.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok - it was the power management. Thanks Doug! Can't have the back charge battery at the same time, it seems. Is this a "known" problem, or just a bit of a step back in functionality when using TB-FW?

Cheers, -Peter
    www.peterlomdahl.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter you are correct. Looks like any USB A to B cable will work. BH Photo has several to pick from.

Paul C

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    Ok - it was the power management. Thanks Doug! Can't have the back charge battery at the same time, it seems. Is this a "known" problem, or just a bit of a step back in functionality when using TB-FW?

Cheers, -Peter
    Not a "problem" just a limitation of the thunderbolt to FireWire adapter which doesn't provide FireWire-levels of power. We advised our customers of this via blog back when it first became relevant.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpeterson View Post
    Not a "problem" just a limitation of the thunderbolt to FireWire adapter which doesn't provide FireWire-levels of power. We advised our customers of this via blog back when it first became relevant.
    I seem to do OK with the thunderbolt to firewire adapter as long as the battery is in the back. No errors or issues. There's a setting on the back I think to tell it to pull FireWire power only when it needs it. Keeps the battery charged all day when shooting. The problem with USB is it won't charge the battery in the back.