The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad V lenses for 645DF+?

gebseng

Hi everyone at getdpi,

I very recently got a Mamiya 645DF+ (with the Sekor 2.8/80mm lens). The camera came "almost for free" with my Credo 40 DB.

I never really planned to get the 645DF+ (I do all of my architectural and interior work with the DB on the Linhof Techno and wide angle lenses from 24 to 35mm). So what can I do with this new and unexpected gift?;)

Since I already got the wide angle covered with the technical cam, and also have a normal lens with the 80mm, I was thinking about getting a 85mm eqivalent lens (in 135 terms), which would be a 110 or 120mm with the Credo 40 crop sensor. But I can't spend a lot of money on a Mamiya AF lens right now.

So, my questions are:
- do you think it would be a good idea to get a used Hasselblad 120mm f4 Planar-Macro MF lens for portraits and close-ups (as low as $ 600,- on ebay in seemingly good condition)? How do you think this lens compares to a modern Mamiya 4.0/120mm AF-D lens in terms of image quality?
- is it a problem that this Hasselblad V lens has a central shutter?
- does the original and expensive original Mamiya 645 to V lens adapter have any different functionality than a $ 50,- V adapter à la Fotodiox from China (apart from precision I guess)?
- or is it maybe a better idea to get a Mamiya 645 A 4.0/120mm Macro MF lens (only $ 500,- on ebay)?
- how hard and how successful is manual focussing with the 645DF? Should I get the microprism viewfinder screen instead of the matte screen to improve my chances?

thanks for your valuable input,

Gebhard

ondebanks

> - or is it maybe a better idea to get a Mamiya 645 A 4.0/120mm Macro MF lens (only $ 500,- on ebay)?

Yes! Why get the more expensive and heavy Hassy 120/4 manual lens + adapter, when you can get the cheaper, lighter and equally high performing M645 120/4 A manual lens (not the AF/AFD version) for closer to $300?

Mine was $265 from KEH, BGN condition (it looks EX+ to me!)

Ray

Last edited:

cly

Yes! Why get the more expensive and heavy Hassy 120/4 manual lens + adapter, when you can get the cheaper, lighter and equally high performing M645 120/4 A manual lens (not the AF/AFD version) for closer to $300?
+1. Manually focusing isn't a problem. In some situations it's difficult, in some situations it's easy :)

Chris

gebseng

Thanks Ray and Chris! Good to hear that the Mamiya 4.0/120 is a decent lens too. Are you guys using the standard matte focussing screen, or one with microprism?

best,

Gebhard

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Remember the manual lenses (e.g. 645TL and Hassy V) have to me manually stopped down for each shot. It's not bad if you're only shooting still objects on a tripod (landscape/product/etc) or if you're shooting handheld but only shooting wide open and only a mild hassle if shooting up to a stop down. Otherwise it's not so useful.

The modern Mamiya 120mm MF (the non D version with electronic contacts and autodiaghram) would be my suggestion for minimizing investment while maximizing flexibility.

gebseng

Thanks Doug for the valuable information! I haven't seen one of those yet, but will keep searching.

If anybody has a comment on the micro prism focussing screen, I would be curious to hear from you.

Thanks,

Gebhard

gebseng

I am delving into the wonderful world of old Mamiay MF 645 lenses, unbelievable what's out there and for what prices (thanks again for the KEH tip!).
One thing that I'm still not sure about is the focussing screen for my 645DF+. Is there any experience with the microprism screen in this forum? Are there any disadvantages for this screen (like being darker), and does it allow precise manual focussing?

thanks for your input,

Gebhard

ondebanks

I am delving into the wonderful world of old Mamiay MF 645 lenses, unbelievable what's out there and for what prices (thanks again for the KEH tip!).
You're very welcome, Gebhard.
Yes, people go on about MFD being soooo expensive, but I find it's not if you compose your lens stable mainly from the M645 lenses, which in most cases are optically the same.

One thing that I'm still not sure about is the focussing screen for my 645DF+. Is there any experience with the microprism screen in this forum? Are there any disadvantages for this screen (like being darker), and does it allow precise manual focussing?
I have no experience with the microprism (type C) screen in the AFD bodies. They are quite hard to find. I once thought I'd landed one for a good price, but disappointingly, it turned out to be a standard AF screen in a Type C box! The seller - not a Mamiya user - hadn't realised what it should really look like. Obviously the person who originally bought the type C screen installed it in his or her camera, and put the old standard AF screen in the type C box for safekeeping.

Just something to watch out for: don't judge a book by its cover, and don't judge a focusing screen by its box.

Ray

Pics2

Keep in mind that there are three versions of Mamiya 120mm macro lens.
The old one not D version like this one
Mamiya 645 120mm F4 A M Macro Lens for M645 1000s Super Pro Pro TL Mint | eBay
Newer manual focus lens improved for digital, which, for some unknow reason has AF sign on it
Mamiya AF 120mm F4 MF Macro Lens for All Mamiya and Phase One AF Cameras 0081097000999 | eBay
And the newest autofocus lens
Mamiya 645 DF DF Phase One AF 120mm 4 Lens AF Macro Lens | eBay
You can find Phase one versions of the last two also.
Since you have this great digital back, I wouldn't u suggest the cheapest one.