The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

does a CFV back need a gliding mirror system?

i got myself a CFV-50 back, primarily for the use on my arca rm3di, but i can't help thinking about purchasing a V-series body just for fun or at least for the use of tele photo lenses.
it'd be the return to my first love in medium format... very tempting :rolleyes:

i'm considering a 500cm, 501cm, 503cx or 503cw
my question now: the 501cm and the 503cw offer gliding mirror system (beside of ttl-flash metering, which i don't need).
but with the crop of the sensor do i need GMS anyway?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
A CFV-xx back can be used on any 500 V-System camera .
When you want to use a 200 V-System the body needs a modification when you want to use F or FE lenses . The 201F can not be modified .
I would go for a 501CM or 503CW body just because they are the latest bodies and might be in a better condition , when bought used .
The 503CW is still available as new around 1200€ .

thank you jürgen,
yes i 'd like to get a 503cw but 503cx are at half the price - so i just wondered if the viewfinder vignetting caused by the mirror in the older models (when using longer lenses) would be a practical issue at all?
considering that the provided focusing screen for the cfv shows the actual sensor spot and that should be not affected by this vignetting, or am i wrong?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
I have never tried the use of a CFV-xx on my 503CX GOLDEN BLUE with the CFE180 or CF250 , but I dont think you will see the effect (No GM and long lenses) .
I could try that out tomorrow , if you want .

mmbma

503cw is my favorite. For its simplicity and classic untility. I paired it with a cfv39 and Cfe lenses. If you are using a 50m bank the lenses will be crucial. Make sure you get the latest for the newer coating.

Sadly I just traded in my cfv39 for another platform. I am selling my 503 cw kit on luminous landscape if you are looking for one.

I have never tried the use of a CFV-xx on my 503CX GOLDEN BLUE with the CFE180 or CF250 , but I dont think you will see the effect (No GM and long lenses) .
I could try that out tomorrow , if you want .
if you could find the time, i'd be interested to hear if there is an issue. thanx

503cw is my favorite. For its simplicity and classic untility. I paired it with a cfv39 and Cfe lenses. If you are using a 50m bank the lenses will be crucial. Make sure you get the latest for the newer coating.

Sadly I just traded in my cfv39 for another platform. I am selling my 503 cw kit on luminous landscape if you are looking for one.
thank you, i'll have a look ...

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Thomas

You will see the vignetting in the finder , depending on the lens .
But it has in no way an influence for the shot image .
No matter if film or CFV .

But I still recommend to go for a 501CM or 503CM or a 201F .

thank you for your test!

i know that the 503cw and 501cm are newer in general and therefore safer to go, but i found a mint 503cx body for €590 and couldn't resist ;-)

today i brought it to my hasselblad dealer who calibrated it together with my cfv-50 and now i'm ready to go ...:D

thank you for your help!:thumbup:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
What and how can a dealer calibrate a CFV to a Camera Body ?
I thought that can only be done by HASSELBLAD Ahrensburg .

no, the technician at my dealer - who is the general representation in austria calibrated the camera body to match with the cfv. the back hasn't been touched.

so basically he calibrated the flange back distance AFAIK.

Douglas Fairbank

The authorised Hasselblad service stations for V cameras will have the necessary equipment to calibrate the V series cameras to the tighter tolerances that are expected for digital work. I have this equipment and so do Sweden and USA service stations, there are probably others as well and the Hasselblad factory should have this information.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Same here .:banghead:

I can imagine mirror adjustment and also screen alignment . But how is body length adjusted :talk028: