The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One Firmware Releases

Paul2660

Ken

Thanks for the information. I read your article and this does look like a great solution.

Are you using a surface pro with 128gb or more. I figured the 128 would get the job done.

It's too bad Capture pilot can't be ported to a win/MAC platform so I could try the wireless angle on the surface pro.

Paul C

kdphotography

Paul,

I'm using a Surface Pro 2 with the 512GB SSD. I think the sweet spot really is the 256GB version, as the higher models have 8GB RAM.

I've spent a lot of time trying to come up with the optimal configuration and set-up, and still making some minor tweaks for a super compact and light sunshade. I'll start a different thread later here on the MF forum.

ken

Don Libby

I'm using a 256GB Surface Pro 2 and the only thing different between Ken's machine and mine is the storage. I've got the new 128GB Sanddisk on order. Right now with C1-DB loaded I've got over 200GB storage available to me so not a problem.

Don

I had no problems downloading (yesterday and just now on a different machine) nor updating my IQ260. I'm using a Mac with Chrome and it simply downloaded the file FW5.11.36_released-aa0c.fwr which I then copied to a CF card and was able to install on the back itself via the firmware upgrade option.
I did the update on last Sunday. Downloaded the Zip file into the PC and transferred the FWR file into the CF card. Inserted into the back and update went smoothly.

I'm using Surface Pro 1 with 4GB RAM & 128 GB SSD. After installing Capture One Pro, I have 87 GB left for image file storage. Effective battery life will be 3 - 5 hrs. (I need to test this).

256 GB will be good for few days of travel, but will carry laptop and external HDD anyway to have multiple copies. Surface Pro 1 doesn't offer SSD more than 128 GB.

In Capture One, you can't allocate the dedicated RAM to the software, which you can do in Photoshop. So I don't know whether Capture One really takes advantage of additional RAM or not.

These days hardwares are more advanced than software. So though you can buy latest hardware, your software may not be able to catch up with it.

Don Libby

Going away from the Surface Pro discussion and returning to the firmware dicussion....

This morning was the first time I was able to realize the huge benefits of the latest firmware update to my IQ160. Standing on Jackson Lake Dam with winds picking up and a temperature (when I left the truck) at 1 degree and falling. Okay, it was just a little cold.

The normal procession would be to remove my gloves in order to get a solid feel on the power button on the back, then quickly put the gloves back on power up the camera (DF). Not so this morning! Gloves never came off. Powered the DF up with the back powering up very shortly afterwards. May not sound like a big deal however to me it is! Powering down was just as easy with one turn of the camera button and the LCD telling me the back would power down in 8-seconds (which it did).

The other part I like is being able to preview in black and white. Shows slightly more detail and contrast as well as showing me what the file would look like if I decided to go black and white. Also helps when the general shooting conditions are more monotone.

Okay back to the Surface Pro 2.....:LOL:

Paul2660

I was curious if the B&W view option would help for live view since possibly the color blooming effect might not be as bad. Never got around to checking it with a tech camera.

Paul C

drevil

Staff member
digging up this thread again,
i might purchase a P25 for a friend soon, i checked the back just now and the it has the following firmware:

Main: 3.3.6
Boot: 1.1
FPGA: 1.0
CPLD: 4.1
PAVR: 1.0.9
UAVR: 1.1.1

is this all up to date for a P25?

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Going away from the Surface Pro discussion and returning to the firmware dicussion....

This morning was the first time I was able to realize the huge benefits of the latest firmware update to my IQ160. Standing on Jackson Lake Dam with winds picking up and a temperature (when I left the truck) at 1 degree and falling. Okay, it was just a little cold.

The normal procession would be to remove my gloves in order to get a solid feel on the power button on the back, then quickly put the gloves back on power up the camera (DF). Not so this morning! Gloves never came off. Powered the DF up with the back powering up very shortly afterwards. May not sound like a big deal however to me it is! Powering down was just as easy with one turn of the camera button and the LCD telling me the back would power down in 8-seconds (which it did).

The other part I like is being able to preview in black and white. Shows slightly more detail and contrast as well as showing me what the file would look like if I decided to go black and white. Also helps when the general shooting conditions are more monotone.

Okay back to the Surface Pro 2.....:LOL:
Very interesting! The Release Note implies this feature only works on the DF+, but I'm pleased to see that when I turn on my DF (no+), my IQ180 lights up too.

I agree, Don - this is quite a big deal!

Bill

drevil

Staff member
digging up this thread again,
i might purchase a P25 for a friend soon, i checked the back just now and the it has the following firmware:

Main: 3.3.6
Boot: 1.1
FPGA: 1.0
CPLD: 4.1
PAVR: 1.0.9
UAVR: 1.1.1

is this all up to date for a P25?
anybody?

flyrcairplanes

I've put FW 5.11.36 into this DropBox file, which also contains several older IQ series MFDB firmware versions----not a bad idea to archive these just in case. I'll leave this Dropbox link live for a while...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/258ngmkjxewo04e/fHEftLJnUM

ken
Thanks for the dropbox. I could not successfully install the latest firmware for my IQ160 via the Phase website but your dropbox version worked great.

kdphotography

The Phase One Firmware update program is also in the Dropbox, which provides an alternate method of updating firmware, and is probably a bit easier to address firmware issues if you do run into them.

I'll leave the Dropbox open and available.

ken

flyrcairplanes

thanks Doug. I am a long way from NYC but hope to visit sometime soon. I have a couple of batteries for my digital back coming from the DT store soon. Do you have any idea how much the upgraded 645df+ software will save me in battery life? It is my understanding that this is one of the benefits. I am currently running version 2.0.9.

Last edited: