Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sanity Check on a MFD setup - starting from zero

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sanity Check on a MFD setup - starting from zero

Quote Originally Posted by young'ee View Post

Not many will take all this and most don't last long out here. I've been at it for 16 years. I reckon i deserve an Alpa !
    You deserve an Alpa in my eyes. I wouldn't last 16 hours in your shoes. (still I think I deserve an Alpa too....)

You see what I have in my byline, ask away if there is anything in particular you would like to know! By the way, The FPS is mostly used with my Hassy lenses, 40, 80, 150, 250, 350.
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like

The cool thing is that with the FPS you can shoot a Canon Tse 17 and the next minute a Hassy CF 350

(Yes, sturdy enough to carry the whole weight without a lenscollar)
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here." (Dante)

Ha.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by young'ee View Post
    ....I once had to run down the runway of a major airport to try to jump on board a Russian AN12 turbo prop - i managed to scramble in as the plane was taking off ....
    Sounds like Don Libby as the UPS/Fed Ex departs from B&H or Capture Integration in Atlanta....

Post Thanks / Like

Gerald,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge on the FPS and Alpa in general.

So yes you nailed it - 2 issues -

pano's - at the end of the day its all about the image, so panos have to be the first priority.

Lenses - yes really really interested in trying as many old lenses as i can get to work. There is a place for technical superiority for sure - but there is also a place for not so perfect "interesting" looks. I really love the old MF glass - have a real interest in old hassy glass for example. Old Mamiya could be interesting exactly because it is not "perfect"

If i am brutally honest here - the FPS caught my attention because it allows many lenses to be mounted - as much as i want to do pano's on a tech cam (thanks guy - i am going to give my accountant your number) i also want to collect lenses and try to mount as many as i can - sure i understand not all will mount but half the fun is trying to work it all out to get them mounted.

The thing about the Alpa is they are simply beautiful !! Really, when i look through the thread that Alpa paid Guy to start ;-)(the "show us your tech cams" thread) i just lose track of time and spend hours looking and reading and re-reading trying to absorb it all.

I cant tell you how much joy it would be to set that Alpa up out in the bush over looking an escarpment waiting for the sun to come up to catch the glorious colors of dawn! The African bush is something else - nature puts on a light show here every day - Pure joy !!! Imagine being "out there" with a piece of craftsmanship that makes your heart sing by just looking at it - i can only imagine how it must feel to make images with it. So that's how i see it.

Now funny thing is, and no disrespect intended to any of the other manufacturers, but no other cam gives me that sensation - i guess its like why one guy finds a girl irresistible and the very next guy passes on her thanks very much. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the Alpa range is just sheer quality and fine craftsmanship. And it makes images with all sorts of glass combinations - whats not to love?

My interest in tech cams is being able to do pano's - i simply love the wide look - it just goes off!! So yes stitching is what it is all about because to me a tech cam is the "proper" way to do this - i know there are other ways but the purity of a tech cam just appeals to me - no rational reason why.

So yes it comes down to the lenses. In honesty, if it meant shoot with a number of given lenses that work or don't shoot with an Alpa i would get the Alpa and shoot with those lenses and figure another way to use the old lenses.

Yes you got the right lens adapter - i spoke with a dealer in UK today who seems to think that, that adapter cant be used with the FPS - so you seem to be on the same track as them on this - they were chasing up with Switzerland for me and will revert - so lets see what the Alpa GODS have to say.

It will be a real shame in one way to lose the Rollei and a blessing in another way - if the Rollei lens is out for now, it clears the way forward to go with a Phase back, focus mask and a Mamiya mount so that i can mount to the Alpa and the RZ - still not that keen on the Phase cameras to be honest - even if it makes "sense" There is little in all this that is about making sense - this is about indulging fantasy. The Alpa is my centerfold cam!

I do get the sense that if the Rollei lens is usable at all then the S control is needed - i dont see that as a problem - i mean we are talking about getting up at 3.00am to go stomping through the bush in darkness, setting up a large heavy tripod, tech cam, unpacking lenses and going through a focus dance to get things nailed up - why should handling an S control be an issue against that back ground?

Not being able to stitch is a deal breaker for me. Its all about pano's in the African bush. If i cant stitch then i wouldn't go through all this.

However, why could i not use the STC for the Rollei lenses (with S control unit - no biggie to me) and then go back to the FPS for other lenses - i mean i don't particularly care whether i have to use the FPS every time - the STC is fine - i mean its like dating two drop dead gorgeous sisters. Who cares which one i am with tonight ;-) and truth is, variety is also nice - right?

The fact that the FPS can take Hassy - that's a BIG + right there. Yes i hear you on the RZ lenses - you are absolutely right - its 645 lenses, not 6x7. You know what makes me marvel at the 6x7 size? I used to stand at my enlarger 10+ hours a day many days in a month printing from negatives. When you hold a 6x4.5 and a 6x7 neg together , its incredible how much bigger the 6x7 is. Even printing to color paper the image was so much ......i don't know if sharper is the right word, but there was a certain look and feel to a print from a large neg Vs a smaller neg. Forget 35mm. A 6x7 format lenses is a big piece of glass - I've handled many MF lenses and the bigger formats are just bigger and heavier and the sheer amount of glass in there is just reassuring somehow. But if we cant use 6x7 then so be it.

I need to do a study of Mamyia 6x4.5 manual glass because its a lens range i hardly ever had anything to do with. Lots of guys used Mamyia back in the day, but i was all Bronica in my shop and used what was provided by studios i did work for. So not really sure what 6x4.5 Mamiya glass is out there. But again, this is part of the appeal of this camera isn't it? I can go down so many roads with lens choice.

Was the HCam thing not closed down? Or at least i don't think it has gone through so far and looks like it may not ever happen - i am sure someone here will know the story or as you say, Stefan himself will chime in - I'll order one though and I'm now on the record for saying that, so please make that widget and hit me up :-)

Fuji 680 - this is an odd for sure - not even sure there is merit in it. Just an idea at this stage - but want to get hold of one - do you know how big and heavy these things are? The lens is a strange design.

Gerald, thanks for your thoughts. There is a lot to understand here - what i can say is, when you finally "get" what the FPS is, its a realization of what an amazing concept this is.

Oh my - I've just read over this reply - its verrrrrry long - sorry for that. What can i say, its an interesting topic :-) - but i know i am among like minded nuts.
    Last edited by young'ee; 18th March 2014 at 13:14.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The FPS was my first foray into tech cameras, initially with Nikon PC lenses 24 and 85.
    No regrets. Still awaiting Mamiya/Phase adapter for newer Phase/SK lenses, (I have no older Mamiya lenses so manual adapter not useful) especially the 240 which I expect will be great on the FPS.
    Once I got the Rodenstock 32 HR I abandoned the Nikon glass, however. No amount of Nikon 24 stitching could come close. I did not even try, the HR was so stunning corner to corner, as is SK 90 in place of N85.
    The combination of function and sensuousness of the Alpa is amazing.
    I have now got STC also, but not had opportunity to use it yet (mismatch of available time and weather).
    Go for it!

Post Thanks / Like

Dan,

What can i say! WOW !! that's quite a frame you put up there.

I've honestly been sitting and staring at it for 10 or more minutes

This FPS is quite the camera.

I do have lots of questions but its late and i have to hit the road very early in the morning.

I'll be back in a few days.

Post Thanks / Like

Gerald.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    "Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here." (Dante)

Ha.
    Indeed........

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think just get the FPS and a couple lens adapters and go play with it is your real answer. Obviously have your heart set on it and it will take a lot of different glass like the Sony mentioned earlier. You could get the appeal of the modern rodenstock glass and the appeal of some old Hassy V glass along with others to wet your desires here. Now I still think get the Phase mount and honestly the best back out there for tech cams with full sensor is the IQ260. I had the IQ 160 and loved it and shot the IQ260 and it's even better. Maybe even look at a used IQ160. You can get the P25 anytime you want if needed but seriously if your going this far into it just get a great back to match it. If you decide later you want the RZ or DF kit you have the back already to go with it. That's my final vote on it. I agree the FPS sounds like a really fun cam to own so why not do it. If you hate it than turn it back in on a STC or even have both.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

There's wisdom in those words Guy.......... i agree with just about all of it.

The Alpa system is just incredible. Check the pic up top that Dan posted..........

I am going to go ahead and get the STC and FPS and all the bits. I wont get a back plate for now because that bit is still a bit undecided. The P25+ is something that i'll grab regardless of what back i get in the end The main thing is to get the Alpa kit here by my side and to go find the lenses i need.

What mounts are the P25+ available in ? what do you see mainly come up on the sued market? How many "clicks" count is acceptable?

As for the big boy back...hmm i feel a whole other thread coming on - its a big decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you are already decided......here's a snap with the Cfi 40/4 IF
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

P25 mounts are Mamiya, Hassy , Contax . Now I would not worry too much on the P25 mount since a change in after is like 800 dollars. So let's say you find it in the H mount get the 800 dollar adapter for it and if you decide to get a IQ 260 let's say in a Mamiya mount no big deal its only a extra 800 bucks and won't really matter on a tech cam or the FPS only if your going to use the P25 on a body will it matter. So as something as inexpensive as a P25 get what you can find. I say worry about the mount later on the big back, that's when it might be more critical. Don't forget even if you did buy a big back in a mount and decided to change it than its like 3k to do that. If you bought say a IQ 260 new with the bigger warranty they would do a mount change for free under that value added warranty.

Shot count on a back is not a big deal either as long as the back itself looks clean you should not run into many issues. People use backs with over a 100k on them and still going strong. It may only have resale value a low shot count functionally no.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,

I'm not sure it's so easy to change mounts on the older P+ backs anymore.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,

I'm not sure it's so easy to change mounts on the older P+ backs anymore.

Steve

I think Guy means you just change the Alpa adapter, no need to change the mount. But you're right, for actually changing the mount on a Phase One digital back, it is generally not available on most of the P+ backs, and the cost would be nearly $3,000 anyway, so at least on the older models you're better off selling and re-buying in the mount you want. If you purchase a VA Warranty - then a (one time) mount change is free.

Good luck on this Youngee - I agree the STC and FPS make sense as stand alone and combination cameras. I am a huge fan of the FPS - I feel the same way about lenses, and especially when you can combine them with large, awesome sensors like the Phase/Leaf products. There are so many unique propositions the FPS brings into play - shoot a 350mm (or...500mmm, anyone?) Hasselblad lens (with tilt!) on a 60 or 80 megapixel digital back. Take a Canon 85mm f/1.2 and shoot it wide open with a digital back (ideally one with usable live view, like the Phase One IQ250) - those would be some amazing portrait shots. There's just so many opportunities for someone who's really into lenses.

The Mamiya mount definitely makes everything easier. And it opens up the possibility of Mamiya RZ body and lenses. On the other hand - if you're really hung on the Rollei lenses - as many are - you can do that. While Focus Mask is a handy feature, I personally don't find it an essential one (YMMV). And to give up the lenses I really want just because of that feature isn't a fair trade, to me. I'm choosing the lenses instead. After all, you have a million dot LCD to work with.

And besides, the Leaf Credo backs are awesome!

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    Last edited by Steve Hendrix; 18th March 2014 at 16:06.
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

here is another shot taken with that 40mm f4 IF lens:

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's what I meant change the Alpa mount adapter to whatever mount comes with the back. It's the big back I would make sure I picked the right mount given maybe the camera body I wanted to use, in this case if I bought say the IQ 260 I would go Mamiya mount for possible use of a DF or RZ. If you think about this though with a FPS since you have so many lens choices and more important the ability to use long glass than maybe a DSLR type body is a moot point, why bother the FPS sounds like it takes its place in some ways. So maybe in his case the STC and FPS and call it a day. The question though if you can use Rollie lenses on the FPS. Back mount if you just stayed STC and FPS would not matter at all if you got rid of the DSLR style camera idea altogether . Just need the correct Alpa plates for each back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Let me ask a important question though. Given the lens we still have to consider image circle for your back. Let's say a Canon 85 1.2 for instance it sounds like you may be very restricted by image circle to do any stitching. Certainly could do panos though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Crap the more I read this the more I want one of these damn things. fast someone send handcuffs and pin my damn hands to the armchair and keep my hands off the dang buy button. LOL

Now I'm starting to feel jealous. ROTFLMAO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy Mancuso: Mr. Sanity Check.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy Mancuso: Mr. Sanity Check.
    Yea just realized I am married. Had a lapse moment of insanity. Lol

My helmet was taken away too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Let me ask a important question though. Given the lens we still have to consider image circle for your back. Let's say a Canon 85 1.2 for instance it sounds like you may be very restricted by image circle to do any stitching. Certainly could do panos though.

Actually, I'm going to edit my post, because the other important key to the FPS camera is the advent of MFDB models with usable live view, like the Phase One IQ250. I played with the Canon 85mm on the FPS a few weeks back, and I think it covers fine with the IQ250 (there may be some slight vignetting). But the other step is that to focus, you'd need usable live view - especially with that lens!

It's a playground sandbox for lenses, there's so many options, and more will become compatible. The FPS Camera combined with the Phase One IQ250 is like mirrorless cameras for grownups! And before anyone gets upset, hey, I have an original Panasonic GF1 with a FotoDiox Minolta Adapter and several lenses, like the Rokkor 50mm/1.7, etc. ;-)

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    Last edited by Steve Hendrix; 18th March 2014 at 16:21.
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I dont want one I don't want one I need one I dont want one I don't want one.....
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm afraid to even ask to test it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    I dont want one I don't want one I need one I dont want one I don't want one.....
    I'm calling Sandy.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    Actually, I'm going to edit my post, because the other important key to the FPS camera is the advent of MFDB models with usable live view, like the Phase One IQ250. I played with the Canon 85mm on the FPS a few weeks back, and I think it covers fine with the IQ250 (there may be some slight vignetting). But the other step is that to focus, you'd need usable live view - especially with that lens!

It's a playground sandbox for lenses, there's so many options, and more will become compatible. The FPS Camera combined with the Phase One IQ250 is like mirrorless cameras for grownups! And before anyone gets upset, hey, I have an original Panasonic GF1 with a FotoDiox Minolta Adapter and several lenses, like the Rokkor 50mm/1.7, etc. ;-)

Steve Hendrix
    Capture Integration
    I tested out an IQ250/FPS/Canon 17mm TS-E yesterday evening.

Game changer.

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh , well here it is........ 5.00am and bleary eyed - it was only a few hours ago i was sitting up late posting away unable to tear myself away......

The thought struck me as i was going to sleep a few hours ago....... The Sony A7 lets you change lenses and bolt all sorts of stuff on the front - the FPS does the same but goes a whole lot further..with the FPS you can change your sensor! If you have several backs with different "looks" you can chose the Sensor and the lens ....... i dont know of any other platform that let s me do that.

Is there one out there that does this apart from the FPS ?

Ahhh so now its 700klms of African goat track to traverse to get to this down site.... sometimes i miss life in the burbs........

Post Thanks / Like

The Hartblei Hcam is similar in function to the Alpa FPS.

But I'll place bets on an Alpa STC, so you might as well stay Alpa and get the FPS.

IQ250 on the FPS was pretty cool when I saw it....

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Canon 17 TS-E, FPS, IQ250.

This combo rocks.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi young'ee,

As you might see, I'm an employee of DHW and we produce all the professional Rolleiflex equipment like the Hy6 and its lens program. So I have to admit that I'm more than just a bit biased concerning reflex cameras. So I won't give you any recommendations here. But I think we could figure out a way that you could get your hands on our system even without a partner in your area.
    I think we are nearly in the same time zone so just send me a mail or give me a call.

[email protected]
    +49-531-6800-320

Best regards,

Johannes