The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Give Phase One their due--IQ250 high iso examples on DT blog

iso200 was very very close. Up to iso 800 was quite clean after that color noise was pretty high. I removed all noise reduction. The color noise reduction in C1 worked very well though. Of course the image starts loosing detail as one goes up in iso but it is very gradual up to iso 800.

For people shots I would NOT feel uncomfortable using iso 1600 or even 3200. Amazing for a 50mp MFDB.

I too was surprised at the edge to edge detail of the 17mm TS-E. Wow. A bargain of a lens since it is basically a Medium Format Super Wide angle in 35mm clothing. Shame that NONE of the Medium Format Camera/Lens manufacturers have ever made a lens like this. And for $2500. There is no excuse.
I agree, the ISO6400 sample at 100% looks about as good as my 5D2 at 1600 but without the banding, and this is on a sensor with over twice the pixels!
If one were to normalize the resolution, I'd say ISO6400 is a very shootable setting and will look basically noise-free up to A2 print size.

Regarding the TS-E, I see a sort of "crunchiness" to the pixel structure at 100% on all ISO levels, and I'm not sure why it's there. I've seen it on occasion before when using the 24-70 II wide open, but not on any of my primes, so it could be something about the lens characteristics. But yes, the edge detail is there, and in fact, appears to look better than in the center of the image.

Digital Transitions, just posted this:

ISO Sweep: IQ250 - DT Blog

It's sad that Phase currently is not offering a competitive upgrade/downgrade/whatever grade from the 260 to this back. Seeing this comparison, I could easily part with 10MP to have the range this chip has.
Long term, it's clear Sony has quite a lead in chip technology. ....

Kudos to Phase One, this is quite a back.

Paul Caldwell
Who knows what Sony is cooking, if this becomes true...

(SR3) Surprising rumor: First hints about a Sony medium format camera? | sonyalpharumors

Paul2660

It will be interesting to see what comes from that.

A Sony A99 type DSLR with this chip would be great for Sony owners but not for me with with a Nikon System.

Would Sony come out with a RX1 type camera fixed lens? it would be easier to produce and would not need a PN entire new line of lenses.

Rumored cost of the currency 50MP CHIP IS 2.5 to 3K so this would put this camera in the 6K range unless Sony gets the fab process simplified thus cheaper.

If the put it in the A7r body or similar, they have a few problems to work out first.

Paul

fotografz

To compete with a Leica S???
Not unless it somehow took Leica CS lenses … which is the reason for having a S system IMO.

That would be great for me, a 50 meg camera with LV, and a fully functional AF adapter for CS lenses @ $6 to $8K :thumbup:

It'll be a frosty day in Hades when that happens.

- Marc

Not unless it somehow took Leica CS lenses … which is the reason for having a S system IMO.

That would be great for me, a 50 meg camera with LV, and a fully functional AF adapter for CS lenses @ $6 to $8K :thumbup:

It'll be a frosty day in Hades when that happens.

- Marc
Considering the a7(R) is a lens adapter's dream, due to it being a mirrorless camera, I don't see why the rumored MF Sony couldn't have a kitchen sink worth of adaptability. The sensor size is very similar, so I wouldn't be surprised if S lenses had full coverage, most lenses have over-provisioned image circles after all. Watch the used prices on MF glass :)

fotografz

Considering the a7(R) is a lens adapter's dream, due to it being a mirrorless camera, I don't see why the rumored MF Sony couldn't have a kitchen sink worth of adaptability. The sensor size is very similar, so I wouldn't be surprised if S lenses had full coverage, most lenses have over-provisioned image circles after all. Watch the used prices on MF glass :)
Yeah, I think the image circle would likely cover the Sony sensor. What is less likely is someone reverse engineereing the S mount with data bus connections for operating the Leica Central Shutter CS lenses, and all the other auto operations. The numbers probably wouldn't justify the cost. Also, the S being a relatively new mount, I wonder if anyone could legally do that anyway?

On the other hand, a Mirror-Less MFD camera that took the Leica CS lenses would actually be better than the S DSLR type camera that requires the Mirror to be moved out of the way, and the focal plane shutter opened before the leaf-shutter fires … thus negating the quieter, less vibration prone leaf-shutter advantage.

- Marc

peterv

Yeah, I think the image circle would likely cover the Sony sensor.
The 33x44 image circle is 55 mm, Leica Pro Format is 54, so this shouldn't be a (large) problem.

What is less likely is someone reverse engineereing the S mount with data bus connections for operating the Leica Central Shutter CS lenses, and all the other auto operations. The numbers probably wouldn't justify the cost.
Leica did reverse engineer the protocols, I think someone else could do it too?

Also, the S being a relatively new mount, I wonder if anyone could legally do that anyway?
Hasselblad H is relatively young too, I guess in Europe there's no legal objection to doing this.

On the other hand, a Mirror-Less MFD camera that took the Leica CS lenses would actually be better than the S DSLR type camera that requires the Mirror to be moved out of the way, and the focal plane shutter opened before the leaf-shutter fires … thus negating the quieter, less vibration prone leaf-shutter advantage.
I've been thinking about that too with the - probably - CMOS sensor in the upcoming S. For CMOS live view the mirror would have to be up and the FP shutter would already have to be open, so with un electronic first curtain shutter, the leaf (CS) shutter would only have to close to end exposure. After which the FP shutter would have to open again for live view, but then the image is already in the can, so to speak. So this new CMOS S may be more quiet and have - even less - vibration.

Yeah, I think the image circle would likely cover the Sony sensor. What is less likely is someone reverse engineereing the S mount with data bus connections for operating the Leica Central Shutter CS lenses, and all the other auto operations. The numbers probably wouldn't justify the cost. Also, the S being a relatively new mount, I wonder if anyone could legally do that anyway?

-/-

- Marc
So Leica reverse-engineering the H mount is okay, but the S lenses are off-limits? That would be one heck of a double standard... :rolleyes:

Sigma and Tamron also R-E'd the Canon and Nikon mounts for their lenses, which incidentally, neither company offers the source specifications for as well. So long as the third parties call their stabilization and AF drive systems differently, and don't blatantly copy them, I don't think anyone minds. If anything, they help sell more cameras because not everyone can afford native lenses, and I reckon camera bodies have a much larger profit margin on them than lenses.

peterv

Giving the CMOS S with CS a bit more thought, I guess in live-view mode the FP shutter would not come into play with shutter speeds up to 1/1000. This could make for a nice and quiet exposure without any vibration from the mirror and FP shutter.

ondebanks

I too was surprised at the edge to edge detail of the 17mm TS-E. Wow. A bargain of a lens since it is basically a Medium Format Super Wide angle in 35mm clothing. Shame that NONE of the Medium Format Camera/Lens manufacturers have ever made a lens like this. And for $2500. There is no excuse.
I agree that it is an amazingly capable lens at any price, and at a price of $2500, it's even better.

However, there is one excuse for the medium format manufacturers not coming up with something similar: flange to focal plane distance. For all the medium format 645 SLRs, this distance is around 50% longer than for a Canon, which makes designing decent rectlinear ultra-wideangles considerably more difficult. Fisheyes are less trouble (hence the excellent Mamiya 24mm).

Ray