Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Tethering with the Surface Pro 2: Enabling with the Phase IQ Series + Credo MFDBs

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Tethering with the Surface Pro 2: Enabling with the Phase IQ Series + Credo MFDBs

Paul

I'd be tempted to get one with the 90 degree at the MFDB end and one without just in case. As you know the plug drops pretty deeply into the back and it doesn't look long enough in the pics. (At those prices if it works great, plus you'll have a spare. If not, oh well there goes $15 or cost of a glass of wine ...).

I'm particularly interested in trying the usb angle cables with my Sonys too. One of the major pains is with wired access to the side for cable release and tethering when using an L clamp. If a micro USB angle plug fits it would be ideal for that use too.
    Last edited by GrahamWelland; 31st January 2015 at 11:16.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Tethering with the Surface Pro 2: Enabling with the Phase IQ Series + Credo MFDBs

Has anyone found a good glare shield or hood for the surface pro3 btw? I've been trawling video production supply solutions sites but not found anything yet but you folks always seem pretty resourceful and maybe know a source or something that can be reused.

Glare out in the field is one of my challenges with the SP3 (and iPhone/iPad and to a certain degree even the IQ back). I'm often viewing the reflection of my own eyeball.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I will call them on Monday, I agree that the 90 degree on the end going into the Camera maybe a bit short.

I guess it's safe to assume that their A housing will fit into the Phase Opening? I had a few A to B cables for other devices that the actual housing was too large and would not fit the Phase opening.

May still order 1 of the other style to see if it will fit.

More to follow.

Paul
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm trying to gather the items for the Wolf clamp solution in my RRS wishlist.

Just one question: Which quick release clamp do you guys use on the tripod?

Oh yes just one more thing; when is the Ipad Pro with USB 3 and full OS being released???
    Peter
    My website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It kind of depends on the size of tripod but I use the B2-LLR-II on my Gitzo Giant and RRS 3 series.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    It kind of depends on the size of tripod but I use the B2-LLR-II on my Gitzo Giant and RRS 3 series.
    I primarily use a RRS 24L. Also have a really small Gitzo traveller but rarely use it.
    Peter
    My website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You would probably be fine with just the B2-LR-II - I got the longer ones for a bit more wiggle room but the shorter clamp would also work well. I have the TVC-33 RRS tripod.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Peter,

For the Graham RRS quick tripod head swap solution, I use a B2-LR-II on my RRS TVC-24. I use a larger clamp on my studio camera stand. I'll probably use the same B2-LR-II on my TVC-33. It's a great fast and easy solution to swap the Cube (or other tripod head) amongst different tripod legs. The RRS TH-DVTL 40 round dovetail plate fits the Cube perfectly.

I really do think that the MPR-CL-II nodal point rail will work with the Wolf clamp. I'm pretty confident after talking with Don and I'll know shortly. The point here is trying to use items (rail) that I already have on the shelf, as well as use items that can do double-duty (nodal point stitching) in your camera bag to save weight.

Otherwise the RRS CRD rail or a similar rail with end clamp (Sunwayfoto makes a slightly longer one for about 1/3 the cost) will work with the Wolf clamp. (The rail must allow for attachments on top and bottom). You'll also need a quick release plate (1/4" screw) for the Wolf Clamp. A RRS FAS fore-aft sliding clamp is needed to attach the camera/Cube to the rail.

Ken

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Don't loose sight of the fact that our tripods (Wolf, Ken, Graham and mine) are setup using quick release plates to remove the head we're using whether it's a ballhead or cube. That QR remains on the tripod and when using the Wolf clamp we only have to remove the head we're using and place the rail then replace the head on top of the rail (it took longer for me to write about it than it does to do it).

Just a stray thought...

don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks guys, yes I'm gonna get a quick release plate for my tripod regardless..

Now what about that Ipad Pro with USB 3 and full OS??
    Both Ken, Graham and Don are closer to Apple HQ than I am, so I expect you to do something
    Peter
    My website

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Let me check with the engineers chained up in the back room
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

I think if anyone would want an Apple solution it would have been Graham. He was almost dragged kicking and screaming to use a Microsoft Windows product. I think he has an adhesive apple that he sticks on the back of his Surface Pro. There really aren't options other than the Surface Pro that have the computing power to tether running C1 Pro 8. No doubt an iPad "pro" would look sleeker and prettier... but it ain't no where to be found.

Phase One probably hates me for saying it, but the Surface Pro option spanks the hell out of anything going by WiFi to iPad---which means the upgrade cost is much less for a Surface Pro option than jumping from an IQ180 to IQ280.

And if you're thinking about the ability to allow others to view images in studio (I haven't tried it yet) my understanding is that the Surface Pro with Win 8.1 and Miracast can easily send images making it easy to view on similarly enabled tablets.

ken

p.s. Definitely a good idea to adopt the Graham tripod head quick release system!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Apple is one of my biggest customers. They tell me nothing ... and I also lament the fact that I have to use a Surface Pro 3! (That said, as windoze craptop slablets go it's really not bad, not bad at all!).

My office just sent me another SP3 so maybe I can sacrifice this one and try it out as a hackintosh. Hmmm. Unfortunately last time I looked it was the touch screen that was the deal breaker. I'll have to take another look and see if it's been overcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Btw, Graham---I too have searched high and low for a good commercial screen shade option, but have come up empty-handed for the SP. I think our use may be rather limited and specialized. But I have come up with my own inexpensive solution, which works well and most importantly packs thin with the SP.

We will have our SP tethering solutions out at Lake Tahoe----mark the calendars for the April 17, 2015 weekend!

ken

Post Thanks / Like

I got my 32HR and 90SW on Friday and spent a few hours getting myself acquainted with Credo 60 and the two lenses. One thing became immediately clear to me is that to achieve consistent critical focus, tethering will be a must (for me).

I had a hard time judging focus especially for near/mid distance subjects with 90mm, until I connected the Credo to my computer and tried using the C1's focus-meter feature. After that I started getting very good focus results and so decided to order a Surface Pro 2 8GB/512GB.

I am so glad that the collective wisdom on this forum steered me toward Credo and away from older backs such as Aptus and P series, where USB tethering isn't possible. I think I would get really frustrated using them with longer lenses. I could probably make 32mm work but focusing 90mm would have been completely a coin toss for me.
    Last edited by Jamgolf; 1st February 2015 at 15:02.
    IQ3 100 Cambo 1600 Rodenstock 23,32,50,90 Zeiss 350SA
    UnTroubled Land

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jamgolf View Post
    I got my 32HR and 90SW on Friday and spent a few hours getting myself acquainted with Credo 60 and the two lenses. One thing became immediately clear to me is that to achieve consistent critical focus, tethering will be a must (for me).

I had a hard time judging focus especially for near subjects with 90mm, until I connected the Credo to my computer and tried using the C1's focus-meter feature. After that I started getting very good focus results and so decided to order a Surface Pro 2 8GB/512GB.

I am so glad that the collective wisdom on this forum steered me toward Credo and away from older backs such as Aptus and P series, where USB tethering isn't possible. I think I would get really frustrated. I could probably make 32mm work but 90mm would have been completely a coin toss for me.
    Glad we were able to help; stick with us as we all enjoy spending other peoples money! Just a short note on the SP2 vs SP3 since I've had both. As good as the SP2 is the SP3 is better (at least for me) due mainly to the larger screen which makes working in C1 much easier. The size/weight addition is minor when thinking of the ease difference.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    Glad we were able to help; stick with us as we all enjoy spending other peoples money! Just a short note on the SP2 vs SP3 since I've had both. As good as the SP2 is the SP3 is better (at least for me) due mainly to the larger screen which makes working in C1 much easier. The size/weight addition is minor when thinking of the ease difference.

Don
    Thanks Don. I recall in one of the threads you said you wish something like Surface Pro was available when you started. I totally understand that now.

And all kidding aside, advice offered by yourself and others on this forum is sincere and based on real experience. Very much appreciated.
    UnTroubled Land

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A new slightly heavier alternative to the Surface Pro 3 could be the new Dell XPS 13. Has the lower power/heat i7 and about the size of a Macbook Air. With the keyboard attached the Surface is about the same size/weight.

Still looking at both, but will likely wait until the new Macbook Air Retina is out to make the final decision. My current MBP 15 Retina is getting just too big to lug around in the field.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would agree that there are many decent laptop alternatives for tethering - the XPS being a nice developer class machine and small too - but the convenience of the tablets is what works best in the field. No keyboards to get filled up with dust & dirt etc.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't Dell come out with a laptop/tablet combo? If memory serves me, they did however the keyboard doesn't detach. The main problem is finding something similar to the SP that has the required USB3.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Just two things to add here.

1. It's more than just USB3 capability---it's also the touchscreen interface of the Surface Pro that makes it a natural extension of the IQ MFDB screen. It is very easy and intuitive. The tablet form factor makes it easy to handle in the field, while its computing power is what enables it to handle tethering with C1 Pro 8 with ease.

2. A quick note on the Wolf clamp. I just received mine and it does work alternatively on the RRS MPR-CL II nodal rail. For me this is a better choice since I already have the nodal rail and I want to keep my pack light, so having a rail that can serve two purposes keeps the load smaller.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ken,

I have the earlier version of the nodal rail without the built on clamp. How are you attaching the tablet clamp to the nodal rail? Mine doesn't have any end attachments like the rail Wolfgang used. But I don't see any on your rail but I may be missing something. I would rather use my nodal rail also as I already have it and carry in the field. Mine may not work.

Thanks
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Paul,

My RRS MPR-CL II has a built in clamp that sits on top of and at the end of the rail. So the bad news is that your nodal slide rail won't work by itself. The good news is that by adding a RRS small/mini sliding clamp you will have more adjustability. See, Mini-clamp package
    You will need a reducing bushing to insert into the wolf clamp as I think most quick release plates have a 1/4" screw bolt. I simply attached a small quick release plate that I had in the drawer, screwed the 1/4" screw into the bottom of the wolf clamp (after inserting the reducing bushing). Since the end clamp is just for the wolf clamp, you probably don't need the precision or expense of RRS. This would work too: Bidirectional and Subtend Double Clamp Made for SUNWAYFOTO Arca RRs Benro Rail | eBay

Or it might be less expensive to buy a Sunwayfoto nodal slide rail with the built in clamp.

Btw, I actually feel that using the RRS MPR-CL II nodal rail is more stable with the Wolf clamp than the RRS CRD rail simply because with the clamp on top of the rail seems more secure/stable than attaching the clamp on the end clamp that the CRD rail uses, which sorta leaves it hanging there.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Ken

I have the mini clamp package but I still can't see how the wolf clamp is attached on the end? Whe you get a chance can you post a picture of your setup? I may be able to return the CRD rail.

Thanks
    Paul

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I learned about putting all together is to use a small amount of locktite on the smaller plate that attaches to the clamp that way it stops rotation and makes it sturdier. I just leave the small plate attached to the clamp as it doesn't take up much space and it was a spare I had in storage.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Paul, what I think Ken is doing is setting the mini clamp at the end of the rail and then setting the Wolf clamp (with small plate attached) on top of it then adjusting the clamp to view the SP.

Of course I might be completely wrong and Ken has figured out a completely different method....

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Ok here's my SP2 tethered with wolf clamp set-up. Normally use the Cambo, but the DF was closest at hand.

Phase DF and IQ180 with RRS L bracket or Cambo with RRS MPR-73 3/8s
    AS Cube with RRS lever release clamp
    RRS TVC-33 with B2 LR2
    RRS FAS clamp
    RRS MPR-CL II nodal rail (with built-in clamp on end)
    AS compatible quick release plate (kirk)
    3/8 reducer bushing
    Wolf clamp (aka K&M 19740 tablet holder)
    SP2 with 18" USB3 left angle cord

Very nice field tethering kit. I think a 1 foot USB3 with left angle would be perfect. Without the angle, 1' is a bit tight---but it does work. But you can also slide either of the clamps closer together, which would give more slack in the cable to connect easier also. Btw, the Manvex case will fit in the Wolf clamp too, but I thought it would be easier to see if the SP was removed from its case.

ken

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

That actually looks good Ken!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ken

Thanks. Never thought about turning the clamp upside down. Actually in yours it's right side up.

I just need the 3/8 plate which should arrive today.

Edit, I got it to work. kinda stupid on my part. Just need the plate and I will have some pictures soon.

BTW, the new USB3 cables from Ken's source arrived yesterday. These fit perfectly, no slack in the housing. Have yet to tether, but I am sure they will work fine.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul2660; 6th February 2015 at 06:20.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post

BTW, the new USB3 cables from Ken's source arrived yesterday. These fit perfectly, no slack in the housing. Have yet to tether, but I am sure they will work fine.

Paul
    Sooooo. Which one's did you get?

Double Left, Double Right, Up/Down, Down/Up? Even with coffee my head is spinning. And the of course, that's just for the SP2. But wait--it gets worse. If you use the SP3 and flip the SP3 over in the clamp (so the USB3 plug is on the left side), Double Left becomes Double Right, Double Right becomes Double Left, Up/Down becomes Down/Up, and Down/Up becomes Up/Down.....

For those who can't follow, look for the angled Device Cables about half way down the page: USB 3.0

Tongue in cheek---but at the same time serious. Which did you get?

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually after talking to Rick at USBfirewire.com, he steered me to this:

The straight A to B, and then get the angled extension. The weak link is the join at from the cable to the extension, but gaffers tap fixed that.

They could make a true cable with the flat end angled but at a pretty steep cost and depending on Sur2 or Sur3 you need two different angled ends (well not really as Don taught me, just turn the tablet over, )

Cost was around 50.00 per cable and they would have to order it from China, they don't make them in Kansas.

The normal 90 plug on the end that fits into the Phase One back, won't work since the angle hits the camera too soon thus not allowing the plug to get all the way into the back.

Rick was great to work with, another gem in this never ending search for the perfect solution . PS, I am going to see about a custom A to B with the 90 on the A end (Phase One), they would not need to add more than 1/4" to the length of what is there now. I will update once I hear back from USBfirewire on cost and if that can be done.

They did offer to heat shrink the 90 extension to my straight cable, but I figured, gaffers works as good plus I can always remove the tape if I need a straight entrance.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul2660; 6th February 2015 at 07:40.

Post Thanks / Like

I've ordered this bracket for SP2. It has a u-bolt type attaching mechamism and looks well built. I will report my impressions when get/use it.

Heavy Duty x Grip Motorcycle Mount Holder for Microsoft Surface RT 2 Pro Pro 2 | eBay
    UnTroubled Land

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool, Paul. My concern is if the SP2 or 3 require different angled plugs---once you flip the SP3 over....

If Rick at USBFirewire can come up with a working angled solution, a Phase IQ Surface USB3 angled tether cord package, I'm sure more than a few of us will want to pick one up.

Hard part is figuring out which angle is needed coming out of each device... I *think* a Double Left angle cord would work (assuming making the IQ side plug in further---maybe trim plastic end?). Right now, I have their 18" straight plug into IQ and a Left angle into SP2. You *might* need a Right angle on SP3 once you flip it over so the USB is on the left side to parallel the IQ MFDB. Angled cords reduce the length needed. A 12" cord with the correct angles would be perfect.

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Thanks to all you guys

I was thinking about this post, and how much knowledge and first hand experience has been posted here.

You won't find anything like this on the Phase One site, which surprises me. The techniques and equipment that have shared on this post are amazing.

Ken and Don, both thanks to you for starting this post and the ideas to use the Surface 2 and 3.

I had been trying to figure out a way to work out a better bracket/mount solution and Wolfgang's post answered that ( many thanks).

This is what a forum is all about.

Sincerely
    Paul
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorta bored today and when I'm bored I measure/weigh things...

The original Ken Doo bracket weighs in at 1.0.4 pounds (or 453.59 grams)

The new and highly improved Wolf bracket weighs 1.10.7 pounds (498.95 grams).

I measured both using my Dymo postal scale. I'm surprised that the older bracket weighed as much as it did and pleased that we only add about 10 oz for a much more stable system.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Is that bracket weight comparison with or without the RRS rail? Releases? clamps? Arkon doesn't require the rail, quick release plates, and clamps.

Regardless, I wouldn't trade the stability and easier packing of the Wolf clamp. Being able to recruit a nodal rail into double duty (SP clamp use and nodal point panos) does help too.

ken

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ken, I weighed both as we would use them, rails, brackets, QR, everything needed with the Wolf system and the same with the older Arkon (the bracket and leg mounts). Total of 10 oz difference between the two but much more stabilization with the slightly heavier Wolf.

I'll take the heavier clamping system over the older one everyday. Now to figure out if the older one can be recycled.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Keep in mind that the SP is not only the official tablet of the Libby/Doo conglomerate, but of the NFL as well: Surface: The Official Tablet of the NFL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would love to get in of the NFL versions as they are totally sealed for weather.

Paul
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com

Post Thanks / Like

Add the waterproof USB3 connectors from usbfirewire on your cord and you have a formidable package....

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like the SP3 is wearing a UAG case.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The NFL requires a case to prevent concussions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It was funny to watch the teams trying to use them last year. About 1/2 went back to the old photos method. But some of new PC literate guys like Brady and Andrew Luck seemed to like them.

The case is a light blue and totally wraps around the Sur3. They still somehow have a touch screen so I am not sure if Microsoft just made a special case just for the NFL, considering that it's a 400 Million dollar deal, I bet they were willing to make a new case.

Paul
    Paul Caldwell
    [email protected]
    www.photosofarkansas.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

A little more info on the case here - How Microsoft redesigned the Surface Pro for the NFL

I only found out about UAG after I got the SP3
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Uncanny how the NFL case color looks like Phase One blue...

Hey, Don! How much does the NFL Surface Pro case weigh?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure of the weight as I'm no longer bored today! Amazon lists the shipping weight as 1.1 pounds. Next time I'm bored I'll weigh mine. I've got the sleek ninja black so it probably won't weight much...
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like

The UAG is a very cool case. I might have to get one for my Surface Pro...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am using the UAG case on both the 2 and 3 thanks to Don. The case offers better corner protection for sure. I just wish they had a strap to hold the keyboard in place when carrying it. Seems to fit the 3 a bit better than the 2. Great case.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the UAG in red with orange tether tools cables - not going to lose those in the brush (The black Phase One cables are great but easy to misplace in the wild if you're not vigilant - my pet peeve about most camera bags with black interiors - what are they thinking??)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jamgolf View Post
    I've ordered this bracket for SP2. It has a u-bolt type attaching mechamism and looks well built. I will report my impressions when get/use it.

Heavy Duty x Grip Motorcycle Mount Holder for Microsoft Surface RT 2 Pro Pro 2 | eBay
    This bracket arrived today and I think its a viable option (at least for me).
    The u-bolt attachment will remain on the tripod permamently. Bracket attaches to it via a ball-clamp in just a couple of seconds. With two balls on either end, the flexibility is very good and the tablet can be positioned essentially which ever way one wants. Claws are spring loaded and will keep the tablet secure. There is another set of claws thats supposed to go on the side but I have not attached them for now.

Here are some pictures in case someone else ever wants a similar setup ...

UnTroubled Land