Site Sponsors
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Tethering with the Surface Pro 2: Enabling with the Phase IQ Series + Credo MFDBs

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tethering with the Surface Pro 2: Enabling with the Phase IQ Series + Credo MFDBs

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    I count 14 maybe 15 knobs or levers below the cambo
    Not quite that many. The thing is, once I have it set up as shown the only knob below the Cambo that needs to be set is the one on the QR panning clamp. Additionally, the panning clamp is less that 1/2" tall. It might not look like it but it's very stable and works well for me. There's a grand total of 4 separate QR clamps and one knob holding the BH25 (I'm not counting the Cube).

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Tethering with the Surface Pro 2: Enabling with the Phase IQ Series + Credo MFDBs

I believe that Don is really trying to compensate for his tripod not being nearly tall enough for him ... A 3ft tripod with that mini-Derrick of heads, clamps, rails and plates will extend fully up to 7ft
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Don really doesn't need all that stuff. He does it purposely so I can't reach the camera and mess with his settings.

I've gone the other way with the KISS approach, keeping it small and light, getting rid of the pano rail, FAS clamp, pano clamps, etc.

This is my preferred CLITS clamp, version III. This simplistic approach attaches onto a tripod leg.Name:  CLITS Clamp Ver III WEB.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  882.5 KB

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I tried Ken's leg attachment and it didn't work well for me for a couple reasons; one, I felt it was a tad too short for me as I like the SP3 t be more eye level (remember I wear tri-focals) and then there's the lack of movement in conjunction with the camera; okay if I want to carry a longer USB cable which I don't.

So folks, we have what seems to be the best for 2-different people (and Ken and I are very different from most sane people )
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use both, clamps, thus I can have the S2 up high (near to eye level), but when I need to move in to the camera, I move it to the tripod leg, with the same clamp Ken is using.
    What's nice about having it up high, is with the clits setup on the top, I can now attach the keyboard which is still the easy way to navigate for me, especially with a S3.

I find I only tether for a setup anyway, so once I have it all figured out, I pull the cord, and go back to the card. But when tethered, I rarely can use the S2/S3 in the up high position due to glare during normal daylight shoots. So I will hold it out of the sun to review a series, then put it back on the leg.

The 2nd clamp has really no weight at all, and fits in shirt pocket.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really really happy with the CLITS Clamp---and all the versions having the flexibility to meet most tethering approaches/needs, yet still be light, portable/packable, and not break the bank

I'd like to see Phase take the next step with a firmware update, allowing MFDB users the ability to choose how they save files when shooting tethered: to CF, to harddrive, or to both CF and harddrive. A few more seconds taken to save to both would be easier than pulling/reinserting the USB3 cable between setups.

How about a friendly email to Phase One campaign?

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    I'm really really happy with the CLITS Clamp---and all the versions having the flexibility to meet most tethering approaches/needs, yet still be light, portable/packable, and not break the bank

I'd like to see Phase take the next step with a firmware update, allowing MFDB users the ability to choose how they save files when shooting tethered: to CF, to harddrive, or to both CF and harddrive. A few more seconds taken to save to both would be easier than pulling/reinserting the USB3 cable between setups.

How about a friendly email to Phase One campaign?

ken
    If Phase would allow this, I would stay tethered more.

However I did finally realize in C1, you can change the order from name to "date", this allows images to stay in shot sequence going back and forth from tethered and non-tethered.

Paul

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ditto - having the option to save images to both card and tethered would encourage me to use this more.

Another convenience would be to have the tethered files continue with the same naming convention/sequence as on the card so that I could just copy the captured files from both card and micro-USB to my main laptop. I can fix it using import with a custom filename but it's just a little easier to quickly see the sequence of files from two sources.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

FYI all:

Microsoft are offering an upgrade path SP3 to SP4 but just till November 7th.

A good working SP3 i5/256gb/4Gb is worth about $500 credit towards an SP4 i5 (2 generations newer) 256gb 8gb. The swap will cost you about $800 + any accessories. I guess you get a fresh 1 year warranty on that though. It gets pricey if you up it to 500mb and i7 machine. Earlier versions, like SP2, can be traded in too, but for lower values of course.

Surface Trade-In ? Microsoft Store
    Last edited by narikin; 3rd November 2015 at 08:39.