The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tethering with the Surface Pro 2: Enabling with the Phase IQ Series + Credo MFDBs

Paul2660

I had wondered if the new ones would be larger. The current size is perfect for field use. Any larger will possibly become a bit of a problem both in carrying and mounting on a tripod. Again field use.

Odds are the i7 versions will run hotter thus needing a bigger fan impacting battery life.

So far my only complaint with the S Pro 2 is after 7 weeks the battery is starting to show signs of low quality as mine has dropped off about 40 min for max run time when fully charged. All batteries will do this to some degree.

Still overall a GREAT SOLUTION for tech cameras

Paul

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Functionality is great. I need an anti-glare screen but the quality is excellent. It's just a bit of a boat anchor and I wouldn't want anything much heavier or larger unless thinner.

narikin

It's official - Surface Pro 3, with bigger 12" screen, thinner and lighter, with Core i7 options. All fanless.

Looks a good upgrade. Congrats to MS for running hard with this idea.

kdphotography

I was hoping for more of a weight reduction, but that's sorta hard to do when they also increased the screen size. Pretty impressive overall specs. I'd like to know the measurements as portability is always a consideration and also impacts the tripod clamp options.

Ok, which one of you gear sluts is gonna be first? :D

My money is on Don or Graham....

;)

Paul2660

Looks most impressive. But still has a fan.

"The product we’re announcing today has been three years in the making. To get this thin, light, and powerful was a huge challenge – partly because the powerful processors that power Surface Pro 3 need to be cooled (you can avoid active cooling by slowing down the processor, an option we never considered). This cooling traditionally required channels for the air to escape, and these channels add thickness. To get around this, we invented a new fan technology that is 30% more efficient than previous solutions. The new, thinner fan cools a series of fins placed around it instead of forcing the exhaust air out through a channel. Not having to create space for this channel allows Surface Pro 3 to be thinner without sacrificing performance. We also use solid state drives which eliminate the moving parts of traditional hard drives, save space, reduce weight, and boost performance. Finally, the precision of our manufacturing and machining ensure that no space is wasted and that every component fits perfectly. Every 100 microns of space is accounted for."

I assumed the S pro 2 was using a solid state drive.

Also wonder if it takes the same charger. Pen is no longer Wacom

Paul

Paul2660

A bit more info.

The Arkon solution Ken has found, should hold the S Pro 3, just barely as the Arkon will expand to 8.5 inches and the new units are basically 8" tall.

The old charger will not work, as it was wither 24W (no extra USB device charger) or 48W with USB device charge port. The new units take a 36W charger, and the port is thinner but appears to be magnetic.

Keyboard is more expensive, at 130.00, however Microsoft claims the trackpad is a redesign and should be more responsive. (About the only issue I have with my S pro 2 keyboard is the trackpad).

Due to the increase in screen area on the S Pro3 the high res should be about the same to the eye as the old S Pro 2 screens.

Microsoft is claiming 9 hours of battery life (doing web surfing), so to me the battery life will most likely be about the same as the current S pro 2's. After about a 45 day break in, mine will go about 3 hours running tethered. If I really turn down the screen brightness, maybe 4 hours.

No case info yet, but I will assume that Manvex or someone like them will have a case similar to the one the S Pro 2 has.

All new pen, no longer Wacom. This could be good or bad, as Wacom, IMO pretty much owns the pen space. Not sure why Microsoft moved away from them.

New screen has a palm blocking tech, so you can rest your hand/forearm on it while using the pen. Not sure if the pen attaches to the side anymore in the mag port.

Sweet spot is the i5 256MB @ 1300.00. Basically about the same as the S Pro 2 with same spec's.

Microsoft took a 500million write off on the RT models, not sure how well the S Pro 2 did. This is probably their last round if it's not successful.

Oh and did I mention, the S Pro 3 is CMOS not CCD :)

Paul

narikin

Well, I have (pre) ordered today. As someone who was onto the whole Surface Pro for MF digital since the very first version was released in 2012, and worked through Beta firmware from Phase on USB3 connection, I think I have the right to not feel too guilty! Scheduled to ship in a month. (256Gb i5, in my case, the i7 is not shipping till Sept)

Note that the Surface Pro 2 remains available and a current model, just that bit smaller (not any lighter though, the opposite in fact) It is not discontinued, so no write downs on that as yet. (Though I think there are Educational discounts on SP2 for students/teachers, not on SP3). The SP1 remains an amazing bargain for those on a tight budget, and who can do with 3 to 4 hrs battery life. Same screen, size, weight, as SP2, it is much cheaper than an iPad now at about $450 for a 128gb model.

I'll keep my SP1 most likely for knocking about the house, and worry free use. Its not worth selling.

Yes the regular 'Surface RT' (not Pro) with its weak ARM tablet processor was a failure, MS should have seen that coming, but the Pro has been a minor hit, as there is nothing like it out there, from PC competitors or Apple. MS have woken up to the fact that this is the model people need & want, and stopped ramming the Surface RT at us. In fact its gone from the '3' lineup altogether. They appear to be developing the Pro at full speed (3rd model in 2 years!) Hurrah for that.

Don Libby

The SP3 looks tempting....

However after using the SP2 now for several months I've grown to like it a lot. Actually too much to change. For what I'm using the SP2 it's perfect. The primary reason I bought it was to tether to my IQ160/WRS which it does. I've also begun to use it as a reader in lieu of my Kindle which it does. I've also begun to use it as a mini laptop taking it on short trips where I didn't want/need the extra weight of the laptop. For me, a larger screen mean slightly more real-estate that I have to content with plus the added cost of the case and keyboard. The SP2 fits perfectly in my backpack that also houses all the other items I need to tether. My only wish is that there was a second USB on the SP2 however when I stop and think about that I remember I've never needed it since I'm really not using it as a major laptop replacement. I like the idea of the SP3 being introduced simply because that mean (I hope) the cost of the SP2 will be lowered.

Knowing what I do right now and having the choice of buying either the SP3 or SP2 I'd still pick the SP2 for what I've been doing with it.

:D

narikin

The SP3 looks tempting....

My only wish is that there was a second USB on the SP2 however when I stop and think about that I remember I've never needed it since I'm really not using it as a major laptop replacement.

fyi - there IS a second USB on the Surface Pro - it's located on the transformer brick, and easy to miss. No use in the field, but useful at home or location with power, should you need to attach a backup drive or whatever. (plus there are always USB hubs!)

I like the idea of the SP3 being introduced simply because that mean (I hope) the cost of the SP2 will be lowered.
Not yet. And... you have already bought yours?!

Don Libby

Sorry, guess I wasn't clear - I know about the brick USB was thinking more on the lines on the SP2 itself. I've been using the SP2 for several months now and on at least two shoots with another next month in Jackson Hole. My thought on the lower prices was for those like me who only want to tether and some other limited use and still on the fence on getting one.

I guess in the end if you want a new laptop replacement the SP3 should work; on the other hand if all you need is a tethering tool then the SP2 fits that bill. Again that's just my opinion and you know what they say......

kdphotography

Narikin wins the gear slut SP3 award. Damn, I didn't see that coming as my money was on Don or Graham. :D

A second USB3 port would be a welcome addition on a future SP version, as would the use of a larger SD card slot rather than the miniscule micro SD which I can barely get a handle on. Slightly larger screen is welcome for old eyes---without taking a hit on weight. Nice job Microsoft!

I'll sit and wait for a bit as my SP2 kit is still pretty new to me. I'd need to work up a new accessory tethering kit to make sure all works/plays well together.

At least the used market for SP2 will be good for those who want to upgrade from their SP1.

Who would have thought that Microsoft (Surface Pro's) would be such a great partner for Phase IQ and Leaf Credo MFDBs?

:) ken

p.s. Narikin, don't forget to update us on your new SP3 and any new accessories!

Paul2660

I thought the brick USB port was only for charging a device like an iPhone. I don't see how it could pass data since the only cable is the power cable to the mag port. I have charged a few items but never tried a hard drive as I dint see a data connection.

Paul

mmbma

Is there a Firewire to USB 3.0 or Firewire to Minidisplay port adapter? I'd like to try to tether the older fire wire digital backs to the surface pro 2/3

Don Libby

There is no such thing as a firewire/USB adaptor. Or for that matter any type of adaptor as it's a totally different set of technology.

shlomi

There are hundreds of firewire to USB adapters available for sale on eBay.
I'm quite sure they do not work for tethering a digital back, but since so many of them exist, they must be good for something.
It would be strange if they sold an adapter that has no actual applications.

Paul2660

FireWire to USB2 yes I have seen those. I have not seen any FireWire to USB3. USB3 is about 2.5 times faster than FireWire 800. FireWire 800 is about 2x faster than FireWire 400 or USB2.

My point is that you really need FireWire 800 at a minimum to tether at least to a device like a S Pro 2. Anything less and the transfer speeds will take too long.

If you can get a FireWire 800 to USB3 connector you will still be governed by the slower speed FireWire 800.

Paul

kdphotography

Everything I have seen/read has pointed out that USB 3 and Firewire are different protocols. Simply being able to connect (or shove) two pieces of wire together isn't going to make it work or convert the signal needed by the devices, those being most importantly, allowing older FW enabled backs to tether via USB3 on a Surface Pro.

Assuming it could be done, when you start having to add different parts and pieces in the tethering pipeline to make it all work, it really starts to weaken the tethering chain, and increases the chances of something going wrong (at the worst time). It's already a concern to add the right FW cable and power booster with certain laptop configurations. If you have to add all these bits and pieces, it sort of defeats the simplistic approach of tethering with the Surface Pro. At that point, I'd just say, eh, have you tried a laptop with FW and a Nine-Volt plate?

If someone can figure out (or find) a truly small and simple way to make older FW enabled legacy MFDBs tether to a Surface Pro, let us know. It would really breath some new life and power into older MFDBs without large IQ/Credo screens. I just don't think it's possible.

Ken