The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tethering with the Surface Pro 2: Enabling with the Phase IQ Series + Credo MFDBs

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Paul

I'd be tempted to get one with the 90 degree at the MFDB end and one without just in case. As you know the plug drops pretty deeply into the back and it doesn't look long enough in the pics. (At those prices if it works great, plus you'll have a spare. If not, oh well there goes $15 or cost of a glass of wine ...).

I'm particularly interested in trying the usb angle cables with my Sonys too. One of the major pains is with wired access to the side for cable release and tethering when using an L clamp. If a micro USB angle plug fits it would be ideal for that use too.

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Has anyone found a good glare shield or hood for the surface pro3 btw? I've been trawling video production supply solutions sites but not found anything yet but you folks always seem pretty resourceful and maybe know a source or something that can be reused.

Glare out in the field is one of my challenges with the SP3 (and iPhone/iPad and to a certain degree even the IQ back). I'm often viewing the reflection of my own eyeball.

Paul2660

I will call them on Monday, I agree that the 90 degree on the end going into the Camera maybe a bit short.

I guess it's safe to assume that their A housing will fit into the Phase Opening? I had a few A to B cables for other devices that the actual housing was too large and would not fit the Phase opening.

May still order 1 of the other style to see if it will fit.

More to follow.

Paul

Pemihan

I'm trying to gather the items for the Wolf clamp solution in my RRS wishlist.

Just one question: Which quick release clamp do you guys use on the tripod?

Oh yes just one more thing; when is the Ipad Pro with USB 3 and full OS being released??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

GrahamWelland

You would probably be fine with just the B2-LR-II - I got the longer ones for a bit more wiggle room but the shorter clamp would also work well. I have the TVC-33 RRS tripod.

kdphotography

Peter,

For the Graham RRS quick tripod head swap solution, I use a B2-LR-II on my RRS TVC-24. I use a larger clamp on my studio camera stand. I'll probably use the same B2-LR-II on my TVC-33. It's a great fast and easy solution to swap the Cube (or other tripod head) amongst different tripod legs. The RRS TH-DVTL 40 round dovetail plate fits the Cube perfectly.

I really do think that the MPR-CL-II nodal point rail will work with the Wolf clamp. I'm pretty confident after talking with Don and I'll know shortly. The point here is trying to use items (rail) that I already have on the shelf, as well as use items that can do double-duty (nodal point stitching) in your camera bag to save weight.

Otherwise the RRS CRD rail or a similar rail with end clamp (Sunwayfoto makes a slightly longer one for about 1/3 the cost) will work with the Wolf clamp. (The rail must allow for attachments on top and bottom). You'll also need a quick release plate (1/4" screw) for the Wolf Clamp. A RRS FAS fore-aft sliding clamp is needed to attach the camera/Cube to the rail.

Ken

Don Libby

Don't loose sight of the fact that our tripods (Wolf, Ken, Graham and mine) are setup using quick release plates to remove the head we're using whether it's a ballhead or cube. That QR remains on the tripod and when using the Wolf clamp we only have to remove the head we're using and place the rail then replace the head on top of the rail (it took longer for me to write about it than it does to do it).

Just a stray thought...

don

Pemihan

Thanks guys, yes I'm gonna get a quick release plate for my tripod regardless..

Now what about that Ipad Pro with USB 3 and full OS??
Both Ken, Graham and Don are closer to Apple HQ than I am, so I expect you to do something :poke:

kdphotography

I think if anyone would want an Apple solution it would have been Graham. He was almost dragged kicking and screaming to use a Microsoft Windows product. I think he has an adhesive apple that he sticks on the back of his Surface Pro. :ROTFL: There really aren't options other than the Surface Pro that have the computing power to tether running C1 Pro 8. No doubt an iPad "pro" would look sleeker and prettier... but it ain't no where to be found.

Phase One probably hates me for saying it, but the Surface Pro option spanks the hell out of anything going by WiFi to iPad---which means the upgrade cost is much less for a Surface Pro option than jumping from an IQ180 to IQ280.

And if you're thinking about the ability to allow others to view images in studio (I haven't tried it yet) my understanding is that the Surface Pro with Win 8.1 and Miracast can easily send images making it easy to view on similarly enabled tablets.

ken

p.s. Definitely a good idea to adopt the Graham tripod head quick release system!

GrahamWelland

Apple is one of my biggest customers. They tell me nothing ... and I also lament the fact that I have to use a Surface Pro 3! (That said, as windoze craptop slablets go it's really not bad, not bad at all!).

My office just sent me another SP3 so maybe I can sacrifice this one and try it out as a hackintosh. Hmmm. Unfortunately last time I looked it was the touch screen that was the deal breaker. I'll have to take another look and see if it's been overcome. :D

kdphotography

Btw, Graham---I too have searched high and low for a good commercial screen shade option, but have come up empty-handed for the SP. I think our use may be rather limited and specialized. But I have come up with my own inexpensive solution, which works well and most importantly packs thin with the SP.

We will have our SP tethering solutions out at Lake Tahoe----mark the calendars for the April 17, 2015 weekend!

ken

Jamgolf

I got my 32HR and 90SW on Friday and spent a few hours getting myself acquainted with Credo 60 and the two lenses. One thing became immediately clear to me is that to achieve consistent critical focus, tethering will be a must (for me).

I had a hard time judging focus especially for near/mid distance subjects with 90mm, until I connected the Credo to my computer and tried using the C1's focus-meter feature. After that I started getting very good focus results and so decided to order a Surface Pro 2 8GB/512GB.

I am so glad that the collective wisdom on this forum steered me toward Credo and away from older backs such as Aptus and P series, where USB tethering isn't possible. I think I would get really frustrated using them with longer lenses. I could probably make 32mm work but focusing 90mm would have been completely a coin toss for me.

Last edited:

Don Libby

I got my 32HR and 90SW on Friday and spent a few hours getting myself acquainted with Credo 60 and the two lenses. One thing became immediately clear to me is that to achieve consistent critical focus, tethering will be a must (for me).

I had a hard time judging focus especially for near subjects with 90mm, until I connected the Credo to my computer and tried using the C1's focus-meter feature. After that I started getting very good focus results and so decided to order a Surface Pro 2 8GB/512GB.

I am so glad that the collective wisdom on this forum steered me toward Credo and away from older backs such as Aptus and P series, where USB tethering isn't possible. I think I would get really frustrated. I could probably make 32mm work but 90mm would have been completely a coin toss for me.
Glad we were able to help; stick with us as we all enjoy spending other peoples money! Just a short note on the SP2 vs SP3 since I've had both. As good as the SP2 is the SP3 is better (at least for me) due mainly to the larger screen which makes working in C1 much easier. The size/weight addition is minor when thinking of the ease difference.

Don

Jamgolf

Glad we were able to help; stick with us as we all enjoy spending other peoples money! Just a short note on the SP2 vs SP3 since I've had both. As good as the SP2 is the SP3 is better (at least for me) due mainly to the larger screen which makes working in C1 much easier. The size/weight addition is minor when thinking of the ease difference.

Don
Thanks Don. I recall in one of the threads you said you wish something like Surface Pro was available when you started. I totally understand that now.

And all kidding aside, advice offered by yourself and others on this forum is sincere and based on real experience. Very much appreciated.

jagsiva

A new slightly heavier alternative to the Surface Pro 3 could be the new Dell XPS 13. Has the lower power/heat i7 and about the size of a Macbook Air. With the keyboard attached the Surface is about the same size/weight.

Still looking at both, but will likely wait until the new Macbook Air Retina is out to make the final decision. My current MBP 15 Retina is getting just too big to lug around in the field.

GrahamWelland

I would agree that there are many decent laptop alternatives for tethering - the XPS being a nice developer class machine and small too - but the convenience of the tablets is what works best in the field. No keyboards to get filled up with dust & dirt etc.

Don Libby

Didn't Dell come out with a laptop/tablet combo? If memory serves me, they did however the keyboard doesn't detach. The main problem is finding something similar to the SP that has the required USB3.